PDA

View Full Version : Call 911

Johnch
12-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Tonight I droped my old tatered Lyman reloading manual on the floor.
:groner: The spine shattered . :groner:
I now have a book in 6 or 7 pieces and a few loose pages .
I bought it when I started loading 25 or so years ago .
It was a good freind for all these years .
Even though it contained loads for powders that have not been produced for years , I will miss it .

I will not pitch it .
I was thinking of drilling some holes and binding it back together
And letting it semi retire .

Now for the bad part .
I have to replace my old freind .

Dose the newest Lyman book stand up to the old ones in load data , or is it the same old book with no updates ?

I don't mind spending a few $$ if the new manual has new powders and data .
Should I search for another old manual also ?

I think I will have to console myself with at least 3 fingers of good Scotch , 2 ice cubes and a loving dog .
I will deal with the peices in the morning .

Johnch

castalott
12-09-2005, 10:10 PM
There must be a 'life' of sorts built in. Mine cratered 2 weeks ago. I have actually wore the covers off of it. It's been consulted millions ( well, maybe not millions) of times. Yes, an old friend.....

Dale

Dye
12-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Tonight I droped my old tatered Lyman reloading manual on the floor.
:groner: The spine shattered . :groner:
I now have a book in 6 or 7 pieces and a few loose pages .
I bought it when I started loading 25 or so years ago .
It was a good freind for all these years .
Even though it contained loads for powders that have not been produced for years , I will miss it .

I will not pitch it .
I was thinking of drilling some holes and binding it back together
And letting it semi retire .

Now for the bad part .
I have to replace my old freind .

Dose the newest Lyman book stand up to the old ones in load data , or is it the same old book with no updates ?

I don't mind spending a few $$ if the new manual has new powders and data .
Should I search for another old manual also ?

I think I will have to console myself with at least 3 fingers of good Scotch , 2 ice cubes and a loving dog .
I will deal with the peices in the morning .

Johnch
johnch

The weather is not the best for shooting there. so get a 3 ring binder and take each page and put 2 layers of scotch tape on each side of the page,punch holes in it and put in binder. Will last for a lot of years
Be carefull Dye

PatMarlin
12-09-2005, 11:03 PM
No known remedy for you.. :violin:

The onlyeist thing to do is box it up and send it to me.. :bigsmyl2:

45 2.1
12-09-2005, 11:20 PM
If the slots in the paper are intact any good quick print place can put a new plastic spine on it cheaply in less than 5 minutes. I have wore the cover off my original. I solved the problem by buying every old Lyman manual I can find. I have multiples of most of those from number 38 forward. Some are much harder to find than others.

charlie / sw mo
12-09-2005, 11:49 PM
i take all my paperback manuals to kinko and have a spiral binder put on them. the major benifit is the manual lies flat and is much eisier to use.
charlie in sw mo

mike in co
12-10-2005, 12:02 AM
look up book binders...have it redone.....

Buckshot
12-10-2005, 02:47 AM
..............Mines the same way :D Has a twist tie through a hole keeping it together. I never knew Kinko's did that kind of stuff. I'll have to check it out.

............Buckshot

Bret4207
12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Charlie SW MO- Just saw you're a jarhead too. Glad to know there's another guy to help make fun of the Navy types here. What is your avatar? I can't make it out or figure out how to enlarge it. It looks like the inside of a store of some kind.

Swagerman
12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I need a book binder to fix my Colliers World War 1 hardcover that is falling apart from age.

It was printed in 1919.

Swagerman

buck1
12-10-2005, 05:52 PM
My lyman #? is housed in duct tape.Crude I know but its still holding together 40 some odd years later. ....Buck

Junior1942
12-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey Charlie SW MO- Just saw you're a jarhead too. Glad to know there's another guy to help make fun of the Navy types here. What is your avatar? I can't make it out or figure out how to enlarge it. It looks like the inside of a store of some kind.That's his reloading room, believe it or not. . . .

Ken O
12-10-2005, 09:07 PM
On your question on the newer manual, I have the Lyman 48th, and it has more loads for the newer powders like Varget etc, but it has way less loads for using Black Powder. It also has little different selection of cast. So my opinion is to fix up the old, and buy the new.

wills
12-10-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.officezone.com/comb1.htm

Blackwater
12-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Never, Never, NEVER EVER let an old manual go! EVER! Put it on whatever kind of crutches it needs, and let it limp proudly into this 21st Century we're now trying to live in! Ain't nothin' quite like a good ol' "experienced" loadin' manual!

Bent Ramrod
12-18-2005, 01:43 PM
The newer manuals have new powders and calibers, but tend to drop interesting older stuff, which is why I don't run out and buy new loading books when they show up. Except for their Cast Bullet Handbooks, I don't necessarily favor Lyman over all others; they all have their points. Hodgdon's Data Manual #26 and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee have a lot of choices in them to start on. You ought to have a number of manuals, by different firms, just as a sanity and typo check on each other's loads.

If your workplace office has one, those machines that punch the line of oblong holes in the left sides of the pages and then thread that plastic backing dealie with all the fingers through the holes have been the saving of several of my manuals. Like a looseleaf, only without the heavy binder.

BOOM BOOM
12-22-2005, 09:45 PM
HI,
You should save it.
I have 2 lymans, a speer, & a nosler on my shelf now.
And a bunch of norma, dupont, WW, Herculeas pamplets of reloading data.
They all get used now & then.

Johnch
12-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I didi save it .
But I will never show it to anyone .
It had 3 holes perpunched in it .
I am puting clear tape over the holes to reinforce them .

Ulgly , but it works .

Johnch

GLL
12-23-2005, 05:51 PM
I have Kinko's or similar outfit spiral bind a couple hundred different reports each year. Quick & easy...not cheap though !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/EF4DE193BCB8C53/standard.jpg

drinks
12-23-2005, 09:41 PM
GLL;
Why not invest in a comb punch and installer?
I bought one for my wife to use with her braille , was about $100, easy enough to use a 68 year old blind woman did it after 10 minutes instructions by her husband who had never used one before.
The combs come in 1/4" to 1 1/4" thickness, not too high for the smaller sizes.
;D

Ken O
12-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I didi save it .
But I will never show it to anyone .
It had 3 holes perpunched in it .
I am puting clear tape over the holes to reinforce them .

Ulgly , but it works .

Johnch

OK Johnch, tell us what you punched the holes with, .223, .30? Hopefully not a 45-70. LOL