PDA

View Full Version : New front sight fits loose in dovetail slot..

Elroy
07-11-2019, 06:39 PM
I am changing my model 94 over to receiver sight,and expect it tommorow .I removed the rear sight,and front sight blade to replace it with one I have around here thats a hair higher.The old sights were really in the dovetails snug,especially the rear one it was a pain to get out..I went to put the higher blade in,and it went in with nearly no resistance..I have had this issue with another front sight,and finally had to shim the sight with a strip of aluminum cut from a pop can..Is there a better way?.How do you all deal with this problem. ..Thanks

22cf45
07-11-2019, 07:19 PM
You can always take a prick punch and raise some metal within the dovetail to tighten it up.
Phil

Winger Ed.
07-11-2019, 07:46 PM
a prick punch and raise some metal within the dovetail to tighten it up.Phil

That's how I've done it.

Bazoo
07-11-2019, 07:46 PM
I've turned down the top of the dovetail cut on the barrel with a punch and hammer. If done gently it's not noticed and will tighten up a slightly loose fit.

Elroy
07-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone.

pietro
07-11-2019, 09:30 PM
..I went to put the higher blade in,and it went in with nearly no resistance..I have had this issue with another front sight,and finally had to shim the sight with a strip of aluminum cut from a pop can..

Is there a better way ?

Yeah - use a BCS (beer can shim ;) )

I camo any visible edges of mine with a black Sharpie.

country gent
07-11-2019, 09:38 PM
A shim can be cut and used to tighten up a loose fit. If peening I prefer to peen the sights dovetail rather than the slot. ( the original fit and peening the slot means it will have to be refit if you use it again). I wouldn't go a lot with the shim to start .001-.002 may really snug it up.

Elroy
07-11-2019, 09:54 PM
I ended up shimming it for now,and if it gives me any trouble down the road I will take a sharp punch to it.I hate to peen it yet incase I need to go back to the other sight.I ended up using a steel shim cut from an old tape measure,and it felt real snug tapping it in.I think it will do the trick.

Texas by God
07-12-2019, 11:44 PM
I've turned down the top of the dovetail cut on the barrel with a punch and hammer. If done gently it's not noticed and will tighten up a slightly loose fit.This^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tatume
07-13-2019, 08:17 AM
I prefer to use a center punch to raise dimples on the underside of the sight. Another way is to lightly peen the sharp edge of the sight. Just hold it on an anvil and tap to dull the knife edge. These two techniques can be used together, and with no modification to the gun itself. If anything goes wrong, just buy another front sight.

pietro
07-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Nice job !

Now U R a gunsmith...…… :D