PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Wells Fargo Schofield revolver

David LaPell
07-10-2019, 10:26 PM
I decided as a retirement gift to myself that I was going to buy a revolver I always wanted. I have always had an eye for a Schofield. I really wanted an original, but I can't afford one no matter how much I like them, so I went the next best route with an Uberti version, but I wanted the shorter barreled Wells Fargo model. I got it in .45 Colt, and one thing I did when I bought it was since the original grips were kind of blocky was to find a set of aftermarket grips. I picked up a set on Ebay, they're cherry, and they were unfinished, so I added four coats of Tru-oil which gives it a really nice honey color and brought out the grain.
Today I took it out with some Winchester 250 grain rounds. The Schofield isn't all that uncomfortable, especially with these grips, I would describe the grip angle as weird, just something very different from the Colt SAA style. The trigger on this gun is wonderful and it points pretty instinctively. The bullseye target was shot at 7 yards offhand, one handed, and the silhouette was shot at 10 yards one handed. The ejection of the empty rounds is exactly like you hear about with Schofields, simple and easy. I wouldn't hesitate to carry this gun one bit.

https://i.imgur.com/gNTQRfH.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/pcq5btX.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/hJCyujS.jpg?1

BPSharps
07-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Nice! The Schofield is on my bucket list

LUBEDUDE
07-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Nice gun! I like how you finished the grips.

I’ve always wanted one as well, but other guns keep getting pushed to the head of the line.

bedbugbilly
07-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Your grips turned out beautiful! A great looking revolver - have always had a hankering for one but never got to one on my bucket list .. . . . maybe someday? Looks like it shoots well and the 45 is one of my favorite handgun calibers . . . load both LC and Schofield for my Uberti SAA. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy that "retirement gift" . . . she's a beauty!

kaiser
07-11-2019, 10:03 AM
I have the Schofield in a .38 Special with the 7" BBL. Like yours, it is quite accurate, functions reliably and is a great target pistol in that caliber. The grips on yours looks very nice and I'd say your 5" in the .45 Colt will make it a better carry gun than the longer barreled model. Because of the way Uberti has modified the hammer safety, their Schofield can be safely carried with 6 rounds in the cylinder.

edp2k
07-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Nice. The Uberti Schofields are very well built and finished, and shoot great :)

Froogal
07-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Nice! The Schofield is on my bucket list

YEP!! On my bucket list also.

Wheelgun
07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Congrats! That’s a beautiful piece. I had a cimarron with 3” barrel 6-8yrs ago. I foolishly traded if off and wish I could find another. Hold on to it, I’m still on the hunt for a replacement.

onelight
07-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Those are neat guns I could probably wear one out just playing with it.:oops:

root
07-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Man alive is that thing nice looking.

Congrats on the wheel gun and retirement!

Rich

boatswainsmate
07-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Nice grips

sandog
07-17-2019, 10:30 PM
I've always like the Wells Fargo length. The two I had were the longer barrels, one in .44/40 and one in .45 Colt.
I think the grip was weird too, after years of shooting plow handle Colts and Uberti model P's. And the sights are different too.
https://i.imgur.com/cLWPiajh.jpg

GOPHER SLAYER
07-17-2019, 11:30 PM
I cannot understand why that revolver didn't outsell the Colt 10 to 1. If I had lived in the old west and carried a pistol The Schofield would have been it.

sandog
07-17-2019, 11:58 PM
I think guys back then weren't as keen on the S&W as it was different than what they were used to, being brought up on cap and ball Colts. It just didn't feel "right" to most people, although some outlaws and lawmen were known to have used them.
Plus the Schofield was a more complex design and not as rugged as the Colt. Unless you were in a big city (Denver, St Louis, San Fransisco), there probably weren't many gunsmiths that could work on a S&W or had parts for them.

9.3X62AL
07-18-2019, 12:10 AM
I cannot understand why that revolver didn't outsell the Colt 10 to 1. If I had lived in the old west and carried a pistol The Schofield would have been it.

Glen, you are not alone in that opinion. I feel the same way. I have tried for a while to FORGET ABOUT buying one of these repros, and their cost is only one of the reasons I balk. I would far prefer to have a Schofield repro in its original caliber--45 S&W. If the 44 Russian variant didn't have that decadent trigger guard, I might consider one of those. Russians do strange things at times, and that extra finger hook thing mystifies me. "Perfect" for me would be the Wells Fargo/5" barrel/45 S&W.

Jeff Michel
07-18-2019, 05:24 AM
Congratulations on your retirement and your new revolver!

Buzz Krumhunger
07-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Very handsome revolver. Congratulations!

Wayne Smith
07-18-2019, 01:38 PM
It did! Well, maybe not 10-1, but a lot. Just to the Russians, and for gold as well. Very little of the production ended up here.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2019, 02:06 PM
I think guys back then weren't as keen on the S&W as it was different than what they were used to, being brought up on cap and ball Colts. It just didn't feel "right" to most people, although some outlaws and lawmen were known to have used them.
Plus the Schofield was a more complex design and not as rugged as the Colt. Unless you were in a big city (Denver, St Louis, San Fransisco), there probably weren't many gunsmiths that could work on a S&W or had parts for them.

While I have never owned a S&W Schofield I have owned several Colt SA and still own one. I have found them to be anything but rugged. I gave up on trying to keep the ejector rod housing attached to the one I have now. I got very tired and frustrated looking for that little screw. The grip frame has too many parts and frequently shoot loose. Back in the day, owners of the colt would dip the screws in varnish to keep them from backing out. No Lock Tite in those days. I will say this in the Colt's defense. They do look and feel good in the hand.

Dan Cash
07-18-2019, 02:31 PM
While I have never owned a S&W Schofield I have owned several Colt SA and still own one. I have found them to be anything but rugged. I gave up on trying to keep the ejector rod housing attached to the one I have now. I got very tired and frustrated looking for that little screw. The grip frame has too many parts and frequently shoot loose. Back in the day, owners of the colt would dip the screws in varnish to keep them from backing out. No Lock Tite in those days. I will say this in the Colt's defense. They do look and feel good in the hand.

The Colt revolver represented the highest level of manufacturing development of its time (not necessarily design development). The ergonomics of the Colt seemed to fit more people than other brands and the gun was/is easy to repair. The Schofield and other S&Ws are fragile and fiddley by comparison. Fall off your horse on to your Smith revolver and it is likely bent beyond repair, the same accident with a Colt SAA probably won't damage it at least my 240 pounds did not bend my SAA when I fell on it. I have a Schofield and like it very much and find it easier to shoot than the Colt but it is not revolver the Colt SAA is in spite of the Colt's faults.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2019, 03:28 PM
The Colt revolver represented the highest level of manufacturing development of its time (not necessarily design development). The ergonomics of the Colt seemed to fit more people than other brands and the gun was/is easy to repair. The Schofield and other S&Ws are fragile and fiddley by comparison. Fall off your horse on to your Smith revolver and it is likely bent beyond repair, the same accident with a Colt SAA probably won't damage it at least my 240 pounds did not bend my SAA when I fell on it. I have a Schofield and like it very much and find it easier to shoot than the Colt but it is not revolver the Colt SAA is in spite of the Colt's faults.

Dan, in a prolonged gun fight you would have to admit, the S&W reloads must faster. I regard the Remington 1875 revolver a better design than the Colt. It had a one piece frame as the 1858 cap & ball model did. I will go even further with my blaspheme. I think the Colt SA was obsolete the day it came out. I will have to admit once again they not only look good, they feel better in my hand than any other hand gun, even today's handguns. I have small hands.

Drm50
07-18-2019, 03:46 PM
I had a original Schofield when I was in high school. It was tight but blue was gone years before I got it. It had been a longer barrel and had decent cut of job and a piece of a dime for a front sight. Rifling wasn't to good and it didn't shoot well. I've always wanted a nice original but not at the prices nowadays. The only ones I've seen the last few years at shows were low condition high priced speciments. I know where a nice one is at and have been waiting for 40yrs to get my hands on it.

Wayne Smith
07-18-2019, 07:41 PM
I have one of the 2000 S&W Schofields in 45 S&W and it is one of the most accurate revolvers I own.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2019, 07:53 PM
In the mid 1960s I was looking at a very large gun collection belonging to a women whose husband had died and left her with a house full of all kind of firearms. The man bought everything that fired a bullet. Most of them were priced cheap by today's standards, it was the 1960s. I bought two Colt SA. One in 32-20, which I still have and the other in 45Colt. I gave $180 for the pair. The women had a large drawer full of them. She had an adviser who knew guns and their value. The lady also had a Scholfield stamped W-F CO. It looked like the one this post is about. It was priced at $400. Far out of mine price range. I don't recall if she sold it or not. I bought many guns from her, mostly for friends of mine. The last time I was there she still had hundreds of guns.

Good Cheer
07-19-2019, 05:25 PM
David,
Just stopped by drool. That's a really nice piece.

El Bibliotecario
07-20-2019, 01:07 AM
This may be viewed by some as heresy, but I have 'improved' the grip on my reproduction Schofield with a Tyler grip adapter. Apparently S&W frame size is inherited; not only does an adapter for the modern N frame fit, but the weapon fits nicely in custom made N frame holsters.

Walks
07-20-2019, 02:10 AM
I've had one since they came out; .45Colt - 7" bbl.
I don't think they are better or faster loading then a Colt SAA. The SAA is easier to maintain. And May GOD Help you if you ever dry fire it on an Empty Chamber. That Exceptionally Long Hammer Nose (firing pin) of the Schofield will snap right off. The only Fix is a Whole New HAMMER. The spare I bought and haven't needed yet, cost just under a $100 bucks over 15yrs ago.

With a Colt the Firing Pin can be replaced in the field. I know, I've done it on the seat of my Gun cart for 2 people in the middle of a Cowboy Shoot. Took 10-15minutes. Screw drivers, a little brass hammer and a Firing Pin and rivet (parts I always carry, but have never used for my own SAA's, yet).

A Colt SAA can be loaded one empty ejected, one Cartridge loaded.

John Wayne does this after the "Shooting Lesson" in His last Movie; "The Shootist".

While you Can open and eject all rounds from a Top Break Schofield Model, with only one hand. Reloading it is not something I'd care to try from the back of a Plunging Horse.

I can however eject empties and reload fresh cartridges, one after the other from the back of a restless Horse. One not overly fond of it's Rider shooting over it's head.

It's Amazing the stupid things 17yr olds will do.

Literally growing up shooting Colt & Ruger SA's from the age of 5yrs, I can strip down & reassemble Colts & OM Rugers in minutes.

Taking down that UBERTI Schofield Terrified Me. Took me 3 days to get it back together.

Trying to load it on horseback, it would be next to impossible to keep live rounds in the cylinder as you put more in. Closing it and keeping the rounds in the cylinder would Really be impossible.

And as for Holsters; the 2 Mexican double loop that Gordon Davies made for my NM SBH's 30+yrs ago, will fit all my 7-7 1/2" Revolvers. Old Vaquero's, Remington 1875 and the Schofield - 7" bbl. Plus any Colt SAA or clone.

one-eyed fat man
07-20-2019, 12:36 PM
The only gripe I have with the Uberti is the lack of a gas ring. I know they did it so they could lengthen the cylinder enough to shoot .45 Colt, but this makes attempting to shoot black powder loaded cartridge an exercise in frustration. My Uberti .44 Russian is marginally better, but no combination of bullet lubes or cylinder pin lubricants has effectively controlled the fouling.

By contrast, an original No. 3 Smith will digest a couple hundred rounds of black powder without getting gritty or binding. The same is true for the old Iver Johnson black powder era break top revolvers.