PDA

View Full Version : Short Encore 223 rem

bigted
07-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Well I would like this to be a cast boolit post ... but ... it aint.

Wanted a 22 mag like load for my Encore 17 inch barrel. But it did not happen with the Lee 225-55 RF. I tried with it and no joy yet. Gonna have to try ordering several kinds of cast boolits to try getting 22 mag like loads ... HOWEVER ... I did find joy with 50 grainers

Hornaday 50 grain red tipped jacketed did the trick for now. Those and trailboss powder made my day today.

Lee 4 die loading dies and I neck sized the mix of cases. Then primed them with CCI small rifle primers. Next I loaded 4.1 grains trail boss powder in the cases. After this I seated the 50 grainers just deep enough to just lack kissing the rifling by about .020. No crimp. Just neck tension.

Trepidation set in as I set up at the range. Setting this short barreled dandy on the rest, I squeezed off the first shot ... bingo ... center shot at 25 yards. Gently squeezing off the 2nd shot ... double bingo ... just enlarged the first hole.

Third shot I got edgy and pulled it to the right about 1/4 inch ... last 2 enlarged the first two out to bout 5/15ths inch for 4 with the 3rd hanging out to the right bout 1/4 inch.

These little hummers shoot so easy AND pretty quiet. I have found a fun and very accurate load. Going to take my chronny next time to record the speed.

Now all I will search out will be some boolits that I can coax into doing the same. I KNOW I can find a good combo ... maybe with these Lee's. Gonna take some and PC them and see if I can get em to group.

bigted
07-16-2019, 10:12 PM
So looked up the speed, goin bout 1050 fps. 55 grain 22 LR. Fun fun

Evidently I would be the only one enthralled with this unexpected fun surprise.

bigted
01-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Yep ... Lee 55 grain boolits did the trick Powder Coated Ford blue. Same load but did not weigh em to ensure a tight similarity shot to shot.

Today I weighed and sorted into 56 +- .05 grain and 57 grain with the same +-.05 grain.

Loaded 20 of the 56 grainers over 6 grains Unique powder to the crimp groove which keeps em around .020 inch off the rifling.

Will give a range report on these when I get time to shoot em.

What I am looking for is a reloadable 22 LR or Magnum using cheap lead and accurate enough to forage for birds n squirrels and such. Do not want em to expand and as quiet as I can get em. Going to build and register a can also but that later.