PDA

View Full Version : Cedar for outdoor range gun rack

gsdelong
07-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Would cedar be a bad choice of wood for a gun rack that is used only when at the range?

Left out but taken in during winter.

My primary question is of the chemicals that occur naturally in cedar likely to react with gun finishes\bluing?

Thanks

Hogdaddy
07-10-2019, 07:56 PM
If worried put felt where the gun makes contact. Jus a thought ; )
H/D

country gent
07-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Cedar should be fine. I would line the areas touching with felt or rubber. Another option might be aluminum or plastic. 1/2" clear acrylic might do nicely and will stand up to weather.

KCSO
07-11-2019, 11:11 AM
At our range we have used wire spools for the last 25 years with no problems and no damage to the guns I can't see that cedar wood would be any different.

gsdelong
07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
At our range we have used wire spools for the last 25 years with no problems and no damage to the guns I can't see that cedar wood would be any different.

That has me intrigued, do you have a picture or can you describe?

Approximate size of spool would be great also?

Thanks in advance. Greg

Tom W.
07-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Cypress........

EDG
07-13-2019, 01:01 AM
I have worked on ranch fences that were often more than 50 years old that were built with barbed wire stapled to cedar fence posts with bare steel staples. The staples do not corrode any faster in contact with the cedar than it does in the air. Now many of the new fences I built the same way are now nearly 60 years old and the remnants of the old fences are nearly 100. There is no acceleration of corrosion due to contact with the old dried out cedar posts.