PDA

View Full Version : thompson center cherokee

shdwlkr
07-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Have a lock on this .45 caliber rifle that will not stay at full cock, can't see anything wrong with the lock, so asking for those who may have dealt with this issue. Doesn't matter if it is in the rifle or not. Yes I put it together from parts on the internet to end up with a complete rifle everything seems to fit right.

Edward
07-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Try prussion blue on lock install and take it out see if its hitting wood ,if so you need to trim/remove the wood that"s interfering with your lock .Don"t count on parts fitting as intended , they could need fitting ! Ed

shdwlkr
07-10-2019, 06:23 PM
edward I thought of that but it doesn't work when it is not in the rifle so I am thinking something else is not right, thanks for the idea

markX
07-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Spring or tumbler bad? Not sure.
Lmk if you need/want a new lock...

shdwlkr
07-10-2019, 06:39 PM
MarkX
the spring looks good have not taken lock apart yet but just might need new lock, dang it

Tom W.
07-10-2019, 09:19 PM
If the Cherokee has double set triggers check the adjustment screw and make sure it isn't over adjusted. I did that once on my Hawken, and could almost look at it really hard and it would snap.

frogleg
07-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Have a lock on this .45 caliber rifle that will not stay at full cock, can't see anything wrong with the lock, so asking for those who may have dealt with this issue. Doesn't matter if it is in the rifle or not. Yes I put it together from parts on the internet to end up with a complete rifle everything seems to fit right.
T/C locks that will not stay cocked --out of the rifle ---usually need a New-- Sear-- the little tip that fits in to the half and full cock notches in the tumbler breaks off , just pull the bridle ( cover plate ) off and look. On the Cherokee I think you can see the end of the sear with out removing the Bridle, also there is a spring loaded plunger that is supposed to push down on the sear so it rides on the tumbler make sure it is not sticking.

wade
07-11-2019, 10:14 AM
i bought a senaca like that, turned out just adjust the trigger to a heavier spot still works fine after 10 yrs ,,wade

shdwlkr
07-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Well I have purchased a new tumbler didn't look any different than the one in the lock. So now I have ordered a new sear I think that is what it is called as the one in the lock seems short and really shinny.

shdwlkr
07-22-2019, 07:16 PM
It was the sear that was broke, sad thing seller claimed the lock was in good shape. Maybe the seller didn't know a good lock from one that needed some help, no matter I got things working and that is all I cared. thanks to all that offered things to look at.

markX
07-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Glad you got it figured out!

shdwlkr
07-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Well I learned about how the locks on the Seneca and Cherokee and most likely Hawken, big boar and Renegade work. The real challenge right now and most likely the future is finding parts.