PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Universal Priming tool

DocSavage
07-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Bought a RCBS universal priming tool part no 90201 and have to say I was sorely disappointed with it. First thing I decided to change from large primer to small,there's a plate that has to be removed to change ram size. Under that plate there is a spring that holds the universal jaws for holding cases. When I took the plate off the assembly that holds the spring and jaws in place said spring and jaws went flying,fortunately I found the spring and jaws. Trying to put those parts back together took me over an hour. The plate that holds the spring and jaws is very difficult to hold and the very strong spring and jaws just didn't want to stay put no matter how I tried or did. I boxed everything back up and returned it. Hopefully anyone who has one of these priming tools has had better luck than I did.

JimB..
07-10-2019, 04:45 PM
You really should try the RCBS automatic bench primer. The rod full of primers flopping about is distracting, but the thing just works! Much better to put in the right shell holder than to futz with the universal jaws IMHO.

DocSavage
07-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Ordered the standard hand priming tool as I have shell holders for my single stage press that will work with the tool. No more room on my bench for a bench mounted priming tool.

Pressman
07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
What Jim B said x 2. It just works really well

RED BEAR
07-10-2019, 06:55 PM
I have always preferred the old lee auto prime but they are getting harder to find on ebay. Still have a couple so they should go a while longer.

Shawlerbrook
07-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Yes, the RCBS Bench Priming tool is the way to go.

ShooterAZ
07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Another +1 for the RCBS automatic bench primer. I tried the Universal one too, and ended up taking it back and getting the bench mounted tool. It's solid and functions perfectly. I have one of the old Lee auto-prime too, but it's on it's very last legs. Hence the reason for looking for another priming tool...

onelight
07-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Yup bench primer for me mine , is 20 or 30 years old never have had any reason to try any other kind. Have mine screwed to a block of wood either put it in a vice to use or clamp it to the bench.

Land Owner
07-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Doc...see PatMarlin dot com for their RockDock mounting system, which will allow you to change machines on your bench in an instant. I too have limited space and more machines than fit the bench. Some machines lie on the floor until needed. Others reside on the side of the bench in their ShelfDock. When needed, I take one off the bench and install the other in less than 30 seconds. No more worrying about not enough machines.

https://i.postimg.cc/yNLkwSXG/DSCN2393.jpg

Love Life
07-10-2019, 09:24 PM
You don’t remove the plate to change out the primer ram. It’s in the instructions. The tool is fine.

15meter
07-10-2019, 09:53 PM
You really should try the RCBS automatic bench primer. The rod full of primers flopping about is distracting, but the thing just works! Much better to put in the right shell holder than to futz with the universal jaws IMHO.

Had both the Lee and the RCBS hand primer, other people own them now. I really like my RCBS bench primer.

Now you need to add a primer follower for extra flop!

I use one from my Dillon makes the last couple of primers feed much more positively.

JimB..
07-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Had both the Lee and the RCBS hand primer, other people own them now. I really like my RCBS bench primer.

Now you need to add a primer follower for extra flop!

I use one from my Dillon makes the last couple of primers feed much more positively.

Mine feeds fine all the way to the bottom, and I’d be afraid of the follower smacking me between the eyes when the tube is near full.

I’ve had the thing screwed to the bench and screwed to a block of wood held in a bench vise, but now it’s mounted on an inline fabrication quick change plate.

BTW, I like it so much that I have a spare. They’ve been making it forever, but I’m afraid they’ll discontinue it as as soon as I break it.

Tmaloy
07-11-2019, 12:10 AM
I have the universal and have had little problems with it. There should be a little tool that you place down in to the ram and unscrew and change for the other ram.

winelover
07-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Ordered the standard hand priming tool as I have shell holders for my single stage press that will work with the tool. No more room on my bench for a bench mounted priming tool.

Mine is mounted on a scrap piece of 2 x 6 and C-clamped to the bench, when in use.

I also have both the RCBS Universal and their Standard hand primer. PITA, to change over from small to large with either one. I leave the Universal set for large primers and the Standard set for small. These hand held ones are only use for priming small batches of brass.

Winelover

GhostHawk
07-11-2019, 08:22 AM
I've been running my RCBS Universal primer for over 5 years now.

You do NOT need to take that plate off. I've never taken mine off.

Pull the screw that connects the flat strip to the handle, pull it out. remove the plastic insert.
Insert the tool to swap rams, unscrew old ram, insert new size in tool. screw it in, insert correct size plastic, reconnect the arm.

Takes less than 2 minutes and is pain free.

Or do like I did and find a second unit. Now one is large primers only, one is small primers only. No swapping parts.

Spare parts are all in a ziplock bag and labeled. Plus I have 2 primer trays and covers.

Following directions does help.

If you don't want yours I'll take it off your hands for 20$ if all parts are included.

To me this is one of the best thought out, designed priming tools EVER.
But you do have to pay attention to detail. And on small rifle primers you will have one flip now and then and get delivered upside down. Easy fix IF your watching for it.

Three44s
07-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Standard hand primer (uses the RCBS shell holders) and the original bench primer that RCBS copied from Lachmiller after they bought out that company.

Three44s

lotech
07-11-2019, 08:39 AM
I bought two RCBS Universal hand priming tools a couple of years ago and returned them. Neither would fully seat primers 100% of the time. The regular RCBS hand priming tool I had years ago worked much better. A 21st Century hand priming tool replaced the Universals.

DocSavage
07-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Oddly enough I have the RocDock base but it's attached to a Dillon strong mount due to the fact that my reloading bench is on the low side. The hand primer will be used for small batches of ammo. For me that 25 rds or less and those are done on a single stage press,can't see going thru the process setting up my 650 for such a small run.

David2011
07-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Have you considered using interchangeable mounting plates? My powder measures and bench priming tool are mounted on 1/2" aircraft ply which is available at craft stores and hobby shops. They all have the same mounting hole pattern and the bench top has brass threaded inserts in it to accept the mounting screws. To 1/4" socket head capscrews is all it takes to hold any of them in place so changing is very fast and easy.

Kevin Rohrer
07-11-2019, 06:34 PM
I bought one of the new RCBS units and think it's a ***. The unit has too many small parts that go flying to wherever when trying to change it. RCBS should be ashamed of selling the thing. I called them to order the missing part, and was told that this was a common problem. Sad.

I have an older Lee and it works just fine, but does not have a shell holder for 50-70, so I tried the RCBS. After it fell apart, I got the Lyman unit, which works well, but is not perfect, either.

15meter
07-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Mine feeds fine all the way to the bottom, and I’d be afraid of the follower smacking me between the eyes when the tube is near full.

I’ve had the thing screwed to the bench and screwed to a block of wood held in a bench vise, but now it’s mounted on an inline fabrication quick change plate.

BTW, I like it so much that I have a spare. They’ve been making it forever, but I’m afraid they’ll discontinue it as as soon as I break it.

I usually put the follower in when the tube is down to 1/2 or less, I am also using Dillon tubes. Mine is old enough the tubes are aluminum with the end you pickup the primers with is just slit and pinched in to hold the primers as you pick them up.

The Dillon tubes with the molded plastic pickup ends I drop less primers, tension with the all aluminum tubes can be a bit touchy.

The Dillon tubes also hold 100 primers instead of 50 for the RCBS tubes.

The last 4-5-6 primers don't seem to want feed from Dillon tubes in an RCBS tool as smoothly as the RCBS tubes in an RCBS tool, the little bit of extra weight make them feed right until you run out of primers.

Drew P
07-16-2019, 09:16 AM
I also use the block of wood with my bench tool, but I made the block out of Purple Heart and extended it under the handle so it doesn’t need to be screwed down, docked, or clamped. I like to prime in the house sometimes too. And put the tool away.
The bench tool is good, it does have a few problems however, but overall it seems to still be the best approach. I had to do some work to the primer rods on mine and also the main pivot screw kept coming loose, but it’s glued now and seems to be holding.

GONRA
07-23-2019, 05:31 PM
GONRA is perpetually pleased with my olde RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512. Uses standard shell holders.
>>> No primer tray, automatic feeder, etc. <<<
Than's just fine for me - maybe not for others.....

Today's RCBS Primer Rod Assembly 09471 for small and large priming rods fits this olde tool Just Fine.

Huvius
07-23-2019, 10:57 PM
I use the handheld RCBS priming tool and once I got the hang of it, I loved it!
Freedom to prime anywhere I am, at the bench, in the kitchen, in front of the tv...

One modification I did make was to cut off the edge of the casting where the shell holder goes so the big shell holders will fit.

https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Huvius/Mobile%20Uploads/C2F68252-3873-4AA7-AC45-727301745DEC.jpg (https://s251.photobucket.com/user/Huvius/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C2F68252-3873-4AA7-AC45-727301745DEC.jpg.html)

Jackpine
07-23-2019, 11:57 PM
+1 for the original Lee Auto Prime. Bought a RCBS years ago with thought that if I ever had a caliber that I did not have a Lee shell holder for, I would use it. Never had that happen, but tried it once, and although I thought it worked fine, like the operation and simplicity of the Lee much better. Have tried the new models of the Lee, and got rid of them. Have primed tens of thousands of rounds with the old Lee over what I would guess is the past forty years.

Broke a thumb lever maybe thirty years ago and wore out a connecting rod. Figured out (or maybe it was in the directions, but would not want to admit that I ever actually read them!!!!) to put a little lithium grease on the big end of the connecting rod, every 500 or 1000 rounds. Reduces the wear and thumb pressure required. Haven't replaced anything since I started doing that.

Conditor22
07-24-2019, 02:58 PM
I made a "stop" so the primer tube didn't flop so much on my RCBS bench prime (will use larger dowels on the next build :))

https://i.imgur.com/ETZoduj.jpg

209jones
08-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Tried the universal version, two things that bothered me with it were, that I saw the brass cocking in it when seating, and the tray was a royal pain to change out. Mine was so tight it was ridiculous, bent it trying to put it in, so it went away. I have the one that uses shellholders now, it seems ok, except for the plastic nub where the plunger comes up for the shellholder, had to use Hornady shell holders to get down over it, and of course, didn't have that one, for what I was about to load. RCBS one would not go down over it. Maybe one day I'll find something else as good as the old Lee, or wind up going to an RCBS bench mount.

Bwana John
08-04-2019, 05:21 PM
You folks talking about lots of spings and small parts when changeing from large to small primers in the RCBS universel primimg tool are doing something wrong.

I wore out 2 RCBS standard handheld priming tools, I am interested in how long the universal handheld will last.

Three44s
08-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Tried the universal version, two things that bothered me with it were, that I saw the brass cocking in it when seating, and the tray was a royal pain to change out. Mine was so tight it was ridiculous, bent it trying to put it in, so it went away. I have the one that uses shellholders now, it seems ok, except for the plastic nub where the plunger comes up for the shellholder, had to use Hornady shell holders to get down over it, and of course, didn't have that one, for what I was about to load. RCBS one would not go down over it. Maybe one day I'll find something else as good as the old Lee, or wind up going to an RCBS bench mount.

The newer shelholders made by RCBS have a bevel on their surface that mates up with either plastic insert. I have been told that they will trade you a new style for your old holder. I use more than one shelholder when I run a certain cartridge so it makes me difference. I just search for a new style to insert in my priming tool and be done with it. I would imagine you could use a larger drill bit and bevel the mating surface yourself if you can figure out how to hold the holder from spinning.

Three44s