PDA

View Full Version : Got them wrapped

jonk
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
So after posting a few 'how to' questions here, what I did was look at all my paper stocks and settled on a pad of note paper that measured .004" double wrapped on a Lee 312 185 that I sized to .309 initially.

I found I had to use some flour in my water as the wraps were coming loose as they dried otherwise.

I couldn't get a nice bottom fold compared to some here, but I think they are good enough for a first effort and for a fairly small bullet.

Then I ran them through a .314 push through sizer. This left the paper looking shiny and polished, and it picked up a little residual wax left in the die.

All in all I'd say they rate a 7/10 in appearence, will have to see how they shoot! :drinks:

docone31
10-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Good for you! I am looking forward to the results.
The first few wraps I did were too small.
I size to .308, then two wraps of notebook paper and size to .314. My Smelly really enjoys them. I wipe some JPW on them, lightly, then size to .314. My start size is .317-.318.
Sizes down purty nicely. I was suprised.
I use start load data with mine. Mine weigh in under 180gns, and I use the 180 start data.
Light recoil, 3" @100rds. Cleaned out the chatter in the bore also.
Onward through the fog!

montana_charlie
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I jerked up this older thread to post in because it's short, and the title is just right for what I have to say. And what I have to say is not earth-shattering, so no use starting a whole new thread, anyway.

But first, a few words about one BPCR shooter...
I'm not a 'name dropper'. By that I mean I don't fill sentences with the names of famous people just to make me sound well-connected and important.

But, by being a pest, I have come to have a few 'virtual relationships' with people whose names are known on the various BPCR circuits.
Some tend to brag, some tend to expound profoundly, and some like to argue. But one particular guy is so modest, you have to be a detective to find out that he's 'famous'.

A guy calling himself 'arnie' contacted me about buying a case stretcher...and eventually bought one. He was so happy with the way it worked, he made a video, which has encouraged several new customers to contact me. I went to the website where he posted that video after I found that the link had stopped working.
There I found he is deeply into photography...and maybe that explains how he made such a good video on short notice. Anyway, his full name was posted on the site, and it seemed familiar, so I remembered it.
A few days later, I was reading an old article by Dan Theodore about tests of his Money Bullet, and one of the shooters he was working was Arnie Moos.
There can't be two BPCR shooters with a last name like that.

After a little more digging, it's obvious that 'arnie' is a highly competent, and well-known shooter who IS one of 'the elbows' that a real name dropper would want to be rubbing.

And he's generous...

Reacting to the specs listed in Dan's Money Bullet write-up, I asked 'arnie' some questions about the .450" diameter bullets he had been shooting when the article was written. That is the diameter (or close to the diameter) I want to try paper patching on.

He not only answered my questions...he sent me twenty beautifully-cast samples to mess with. Not only that, they are exactly the design I plan to have a mould cut for.

This man is so modest you will not find a post where he mentions one of his many successes. He might say he prefers one bullet over another, or likes a certain load. But, you would never get the idea that his preferences result in winning matches. AND, one other thing...

He is an expert dipper-style bullet caster!

Now, I have some boolits with paper on them that need to be measured...
CM

docone31
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Jonk, try wrapping them in a cigarette roller. That is the casting I use in my Smelly, and I can roll them with ease. I roll them soaking, they come out damp. The roller squeegees the water. I can twist all my tails without incidence. For a couple of bucks, I have a great way to crank out the patched boolitts.
MC, I have met some folks like that myself. A person never forgets them. At the range, I shoot with a bunch of them. Old, in power chairs, at the range all the time. Some even fire a few off from time to time. My wife gets to get some pointers occasionally from them. Her interest in my passion is growing. They even get her to laugh at herself and grow from it.
The grouchies just stay to themselves.
One fellow who has not paper patched in over 40yrs has seen my loads, and her shoot them, and we have fun talking. He is figuiring how to make a roller for his .45cal loads. His hands are arthritic so he cannot roll his own.
Perhaps we are not just folks "clinging to our resentments". We reach out.
I have gotten a lot of folks from here that have really taken time to walk me through my patching, to success.
I am staying here for a while, for sure.

leftiye
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Doc, If'n he figures out that .45 roller, there are a bunch of us here who are looking for such a thing. I think if I could find a proper belt material for such that I might be able to build them.

docone31
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I got it figuired out.
Get a standard roller, open up the gate for the roll that moves forward enough to let the casting in. It has lots of room once it is closed.
On each side, there are two points for the rolls. On one, it has a double hole connected by a bump to hold it in. On the outboard side, just drill another hole that allows the moveable roller to open more than usual.
Even if it cannot close, the moveable roller can be held during the roll to keep the casting steady while it rolls. I constantly break off the nub holding the roller. I just put a little pressure while rolling and my butts come out ok. Should work ok for a .45.
Hey, if we can paper patch a boolitt, we can modify and use the rollers.
Right?