PDA

View Full Version : Painting my front sight.

fastdadio
07-09-2019, 09:49 PM
I'm having a hard time focusing on my Bisley, 7 1/2" front sight. I painted it years ago with Testors orange model paint. I noticed that the top 25% of the paint has worn off. Besides being 61 years old and wearing a bi-focal, I thought that might be part of the problem. So I stripped it tonight and I want to repaint it. Question is, what color? Flat black, white, or some other color? What would give the best contrast to the rear sight white outline for contrast? If this doesn't work, it's getting a red dot. What do you folks have to say?

35remington
07-09-2019, 09:56 PM
If orange paint worked before, is it not working now?

I put down a couple of coats of white before applying orange Testor’s. This makes the orange more noticeable and contrasty. Did it for the smallish sights on my LCP or any pistol where the front sight fills too much of the rear notch.

Winger Ed.
07-09-2019, 09:57 PM
I've had good luck with a bright lemon yellow.

Its quick to see, and doesn't blend in with anything.

metricmonkeywrench
07-09-2019, 10:00 PM
+1, I use nail polish, but the same combination. International safety orange over bright white to bring out the orange.

Wheelguns 1961
07-09-2019, 10:07 PM
I have the same gun. I also wear bifocals. You have me by 3yrs. I used to paint my front sights with bright white nail polish. I have since stripped them all, and now prefer black on black. To me, it gives me a better sight picture. I have been down the red dot rabbit hole, and still use them sometimes. The problem I have with red dots is, I must have a slight astigmatism, and the dot sometimes looks like a blob instead of a tiny dot. I use a thinner front sight on my single sixes and sevens. Of course, they are easy to change out. Not so easy on a blued blackhawk. If you do decide to go with a dot, I found that if I keep it as dim as it will go it works best for me.YMMV. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

TNsailorman
07-09-2019, 10:27 PM
I am 77 and my eyes are not what they use to be either. I recently painted the front sight on my .45ACP S&W revolver with FolkFirt paid I bought at Wallyworld. It was #2904E Vivid Orange and it really stands out, even in bright sun. Great in shadows. I used finger nail polish back in my competition days in the 70's and 80's. It worked also but did not stand out as well as this Vivid Orange. My experience anyway, james

fastdadio
07-09-2019, 10:35 PM
If orange paint worked before, is it not working now?

The orange has worked fine over the years, but the top portion has worn off, and I was just thinking that may be part of the problem with getting a good focus on it.

fastdadio
07-09-2019, 10:43 PM
I have the same gun. I also wear bifocals. You have me by 3yrs. I used to paint my front sights with bright white nail polish. I have since stripped them all, and now prefer black on black. To me, it gives me a better sight picture. I have been down the red dot rabbit hole, and still use them sometimes. The problem I have with red dots is, I must have a slight astigmatism, and the dot sometimes looks like a blob instead of a tiny dot. I use a thinner front sight on my single sixes and sevens. Of course, they are easy to change out. Not so easy on a blued blackhawk. If you do decide to go with a dot, I found that if I keep it as dim as it will go it works best for me.YMMV. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.
Luckily for me I have no problem seeing the red dots, and have them on several other guns. I just don't really want one on this pistol. I understand what you're saying about black for the sight. I'll likely soot this one with a candle and try that before I reach for the paint brush.

rking22
07-09-2019, 10:56 PM
I like the orange, but it depends on your primary shooting venues. The black on black is what I want on paper, but is a no go in the woods. That is especially true if there is not enough light on each side of the blade. Most handguns come with too wide front blade or too narrow rear notch, depending on your perspective. I have opened the notch in the rear sight blade on several of my Ruger revolvers to get enough light. I don’t comprehend the “white outline” so I paint the upper corners of my rear blade light blue and the front bright orange. Pretty gross to look at but very effective in the woods while functional on paper. I also opened the top strap groove on my M36 before I blued it, lots better sight picture now. Before having a heart attack, it was a 140$ cosmetic basket case with serious pitting!

BigAlofPa.
07-09-2019, 11:00 PM
I do the same thing. I'll paint the back a different color. My baby rock the sights were real hard to see with the short sight radius.

Bazoo
07-09-2019, 11:06 PM
I like black on black but fire sights are pretty nice too.

RED BEAR
07-09-2019, 11:14 PM
I like red on front and white on back. But i think orange would work well to.
I read that green was an easier color for the eye to see and painted my front sights bright green. That didn't work for me at all.

No_1
07-10-2019, 06:49 AM
I use nail polish. With 3 daughters and 3 granddaughters there is an endless supply of bottles with “not enough left to do squat” left in them which is more than enough for my needs. I clean the front site with lighter fluid then apply 2 coats of a color I think may improve my sight picture. If it does not work out the polish is easily removed without harming the sight.

Tatume
07-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Typewriter "White Out" works well for me. When it wears thin it's easily removed and replaced. Just scrape it off with a wooden toothpick and repaint with the little applicator brush.

fastdadio
07-10-2019, 08:48 AM
I like black on black but fire sights are pretty nice too.

Yes, the fire sights are nice. A friend of mine has them on his Red Hawk. The really dangerous part is that Williams Gun Sight is less than an hour drive from me. If paint don't work, It's a toss up between these and a red dot. One thing at a time.....
https://williamsgunsight.com/product-category/handgun/?filtering=1&filter_product_brand=37

Froogal
07-10-2019, 09:30 AM
I use white on all of my revolvers. Paint pens from the arts and crafts department at Wal-Mart. I've tried red nail polish, and also red paint pens. White works the best for this guy who wears tri-focals.

contender1
07-10-2019, 09:44 AM
While orange is a common & often used color for contrast,, a discussion with an optometrist allowed how some folks are a bit color blind,, and orange isn't the best color for contrast. His thoughts were to use a lime green,, as it was more pronounced,, even for folks who aren't color blind.

I'd try the "paint it white & follow with green" attitude first.

snowwolfe
07-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Lime green is what I settled on after using orange and black for decades

RED BEAR
07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
I use acrylic paint from walmart or craft store. Fifty cent to dollar a bottle and alcohol will take it off.

Messy bear
07-10-2019, 10:19 AM
2 that we use are testers model paints.
Fluorescent yellow- more of a bright green. not so good in summer but good fall and winter.
Fluorescent pink- when my bud brought that one out I said no way! But after using it I got to say not bad. Used it in killing fields this yr with it diluted with a dab of white. Very good in all light conditions for hunting.

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Been using Testors orange model paint on my pistol front sights that don`t have an orange insert for the better part of 30 years. Enough people that have used my pistols like the painted sight that I have used 2 of the little bottles over the years.Robert

ShooterAZ
07-10-2019, 12:22 PM
I use Testors red over a coat of white. The white underneath seems to help it "light up" some. Have done the same thing with a couple of mil-surp rifles and it helps me pick up the sights a lot easier. I may try some lime green paint sometime, I have some lime green inserts for a couple of my fiber optic front sights.

fastdadio
07-10-2019, 12:52 PM
I use Testors red over a coat of white. The white underneath seems to help it "light up" some. Have done the same thing with a couple of mil-surp rifles and it helps me pick up the sights a lot easier. I may try some lime green paint sometime, I have some lime green inserts for a couple of my fiber optic front sights.

I will paint it white first this time. I didn't do that and it sounds like good advice.

C-dubb
07-10-2019, 01:52 PM
I always have painted my sights red but recently found that getting rid of that sloped ramp sight and replacing it with a partridge type sight does wonders for my shooting.

sixshot
07-10-2019, 09:45 PM
I always narrow the front sight to 1/10" first, they usually come .125" factory. Now I have some daylight at the rear notch. Then I use the felt markers & use white first, it's necessary to make the second color stand out. After you let the white dry use bright orange if you are a hunter, it works best when the shadows get long! I only paint part way down, usually about 1/4 of the sight but it depends. It's important because you can use the bottom of your orange paint as a second sight. Find out where it's zeroed & use it as a reference for long distance shooting. I like mine to be around 150 yds. Lets say you shoot low at a milk jug on the first shot, then you know it's beyond 150 yds, just hold a bit of front sight & BINGO!

Dick

megasupermagnum
07-11-2019, 11:08 AM
I will paint it white first this time. I didn't do that and it sounds like good advice.

Absolutely. Paint white first, then paint with florescent orange. That combo glows so bright you will never want a fiber optic again.

georgerkahn
07-11-2019, 03:06 PM
A (long) while back, I purchased a Dan Wesson .357 Pistol Pack. This is one revolver accompanied by several barrels, a case to store them in, a couple of grips, and several front sight inserts. A picture of one is here. My choices were black, orange, yellow, red, white, and green. Bion, the yellow became my favourite! Such that on other revolvers, through the years, I'd dip a wooden toothpick in a small jar of Testor's Yellow Model Airplane paint, and "dot" that on the top of whatever factory front sight came. My problem with any red dot, is I am in the 20%age of male population which is red-green, or more colour blind. Bright and sunny, or at last-light -- the yellow has worked for me.
geo245082

onelight
07-11-2019, 04:15 PM
A (long) while back, I purchased a Dan Wesson .357 Pistol Pack. This is one revolver accompanied by several barrels, a case to store them in, a couple of grips, and several front sight inserts. A picture of one is here. My choices were black, orange, yellow, red, white, and green. Bion, the yellow became my favourite! Such that on other revolvers, through the years, I'd dip a wooden toothpick in a small jar of Testor's Yellow Model Airplane paint, and "dot" that on the top of whatever factory front sight came. My problem with any red dot, is I am in the 20%age of male population which is red-green, or more colour blind. Bright and sunny, or at last-light -- the yellow has worked for me.
geo245082
The yellow sure looks bright in that picture.

Eddie17
07-11-2019, 04:22 PM
I will have to support. What ever color you chose, put down a base of white.

Beerd
07-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Anybody try Sky Blue?
I understand it got pretty high marks in an old NRA test. But that may have been before all these florescent colors were available.

megasupermagnum
07-11-2019, 07:41 PM
As a purely target gun that sees use on lighter colored targets something like a light blue might be a good choice. The bright orange front sight is not good on a white target with red bullseye. I find orange works best overall for my eyes. I'm not color blind. I never liked any green, never seemed to provide a sharp edge look. I used purple for a while, and it worked rather well.

Thin Man
07-12-2019, 06:58 AM
For more years than I wish to admit I have used fingernail paint to enhance the image of my front sights. The majority of these jobs involved a bright yellow color without the dazzling metallic compound in the paint. Must have 7-8 different bottles of this color in the shop. If it gets chipped or dirty just paint over the sight again and all is well.

fastdadio
07-12-2019, 07:09 AM
I always narrow the front sight to 1/10" first, they usually come .125" factory. Now I have some daylight at the rear notch. Then I use the felt markers & use white first, it's necessary to make the second color stand out. After you let the white dry use bright orange if you are a hunter, it works best when the shadows get long! I only paint part way down, usually about 1/4 of the sight but it depends. It's important because you can use the bottom of your orange paint as a second sight. Find out where it's zeroed & use it as a reference for long distance shooting. I like mine to be around 150 yds. Lets say you shoot low at a milk jug on the first shot, then you know it's beyond 150 yds, just hold a bit of front sight & BINGO!

Dick

Interesting you posted about only painting the top portion of the sight. I was thinking the same thing, and wondering if it would help with sight picture and definition. Never though about using the mark as a hold over.
Looking like most folks here like the bright colors.

.45Cole
07-13-2019, 11:28 PM
I file the top ~1/3 narrower on both sides and paint the top the hottest pink fingernail polish I can find. I have V notch rears with a "racing stripe" denoting the centerline (rough country Bowen). Pink on white = fire! for fast shots, and the pink contrasts everything. They'll make fun of you a little, but once you outshoot them a few times they shut up and start asking where you bought the file and fingernail polish.

megasupermagnum
07-14-2019, 01:30 PM
I like light around the front sight too, but why narrow the front sight, when you could widen the rear?

pmer
07-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Well the pink nail polish really worked nice. I wouldn't have tried it without reading this thread. This 1911 had black sites in front and rear and I was having more and more trouble picking up the front site. The Saeco 069s grouped better.

Silver Jack Hammer
07-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Yellow is the center of the color spectrum for the human eye to pick up. I’m 61 also and wear bifocals but even when I was young I painted my front sights yellow with Tester’s model paint. As a peace officer I’d shoot in low light conditions. I always kept a bottle of thinner and a bottle of paint on the bench. If the paint on the front sight wasn’t bright with sharp edges I’d just hit it with thinner on a rag and touch it up with paint using a toothpick instead of a brush as an applicator.

Petrol & Powder
07-20-2019, 08:04 AM
I've never been real fond of orange front sights, I just can't pick them out on some backgrounds (usually when there's some funky lighting at an indoor range).
Flat black is still my choice but it is difficult in low light.

The shape of the front blade has a big influence on how it reflects light. An undercut target sight is completely different from a ramped front sight.

I've yet to find a flat black paint that will stay on a front sight. It's an easy, inexpensive fix to apply more paint but I wish I could find something a little more permanent.

C-dubb
07-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Elmer Kieth would smoke his front sight with a match. Not permanent but easy enough to do.

El Bibliotecario
07-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Elmer Kieth would smoke his front sight with a match. Not permanent but easy enough to do.

When I was attached to the USAMTU I was issued a carbide lamp for this purpose. They do an excellent job.

As for the original question of paint wearing off the top of the front sight, I believe this could effect sight picture. I have been told by coaches that the human eye can detect as little as 1/100th of an inch difference in sight alignment. As for the best color to use, that is whatever works best for that that particular shooter.

Texas by God
07-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Last Mother’s Day, our Church gave out little gift sacks to all the Moms. In my wife’s bag was a bottle of the brightest, neon-ist, yellowishgreen fingernail polish ever seen. Without a word she passed it to me! So perceptive; that woman.

onelight
07-20-2019, 09:19 PM
You married well, a woman with an eye for a bright sight.:drinks:

Speedo66
07-21-2019, 01:13 PM
I've yet to find a flat black paint that will stay on a front sight. It's an easy, inexpensive fix to apply more paint but I wish I could find something a little more permanent.
Company called SEM makes a rattle can flat black auto trim paint. It sticks to chrome and stainless, should stick to your front sight. Available at auto supply stores.

Petrol & Powder
07-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Company called SEM makes a rattle can flat black auto trim paint. It sticks to chrome and stainless, should stick to your front sight. Available at auto supply stores.
Thanks

fastdadio
08-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Yellow is the center of the color spectrum for the human eye to pick up. I’m 61 also and wear bifocals but even when I was young I painted my front sights yellow with Tester’s model paint. As a peace officer I’d shoot in low light conditions. I always kept a bottle of thinner and a bottle of paint on the bench. If the paint on the front sight wasn’t bright with sharp edges I’d just hit it with thinner on a rag and touch it up with paint using a toothpick instead of a brush as an applicator.

I decided to go with yellow. I ordered a quality art paint in both yellow and white and went at it. I like it a lot. After I did the Bisley, I painted my Speed Six, and my Series 80 combat Commander sights also. On the Bisley and the Ruger, I only painted the top 1/3 of the ramps. That also made a big difference in contrast. Thanks for all the suggestions folks..
Dave.

35 Whelen
08-18-2019, 02:25 PM
I've found that orange, yellow, etc. glare in bright sunshine, and that for me flat black is by far the best all around color, especially for precision shooting. Problem is if you smoke a sight, it'll rub off in the holster. Flat black paint will develop a shine from repeatedly rubbing leather from holstering/unholstering. But I read about the perfect solution and tried it; a 40 LPI checkering file and cold blue. This makes for a dark sight with a crisp outline even in the brightest of light.

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Front%20Sight-red_zpsqswmsbp9.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Front%20Sight-red_zpsqswmsbp9.jpg.html)

Another plus to sights so altered is that with a little ghetto silver nail polish one can paint lines for distance shooting. This one is one my Uberti 32-20 and is just right for shooting my 160 yd. gong.

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Front%20sight-1_zpsmvd0q7qm.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Front%20sight-1_zpsmvd0q7qm.jpg.html)

35 W

onelight
08-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Nice job !

Conditor22
08-18-2019, 03:04 PM
This was done "in the field" seeing what combinations I like best. Once I make my decision (s) I'll clean them up at home
Got the enamel color samples at Micheals art & craft store for spr $2 ea. toothpicks work great for changing the dot colors
https://i.imgur.com/Gpm8AHi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8r4bzNi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Cqj8C9N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Mb8Jeh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iSMzCFH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0Amw1mo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HGlu3fc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zkVhq6a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/y4j5eiQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CYlHfMc.jpg

ChuckO
08-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Tried painting the front sight on a stainless Charter Arms Mag Pug yesterday. Nice, bright orange front sight did help with the first shot and made getting back on target easier for the second shot. Brought the gun back for a third shot and the sight was back to dull stainless steel. I forgot that the ported barrel vents right at the sight. It removed the paint very cleanly as one paint chip. I will probably try this again, but on a non-ported barrel.