PDA

View Full Version : Peters paper 12 gauge slugs

40-82 hiker
07-09-2019, 12:11 AM
I've had these slugs since the late 60s and they have been following me around since. I don't know anything about them, and would like some info about them. I really don't even remember where I got them from. ?? Just curious, but still don't know why I've kept 9 paper-hull slugs for so long.

Of the 2 boxes one is in good condition, but the other one has a flap that has come unglued. Should I just glue it back together, or would that ruin any collector value, not that that has any real bearing on these boxes I've got?

40-82 hiker
07-09-2019, 11:41 PM
I already put these shells back in the storage box my wife found them in, but I am curious about their age, if possible to identify. I am still hopeful that someone can help me out with this at any rate.

Thanks.

Markopolo
07-10-2019, 12:28 AM
Well, Dupont owned them for sure when the peters head stamp was like that. HV started in 1950 and continued until about 1960ish.. dupont owned remmington, which in turn owned peters.

In 1934, Remington purchased Peters. In 1944, production at Peters plant in Ohio stopped. The buildings are now abandoned. After 1944, Peters ammunition was made in Remington's plant, and was identical to the Remington product, except for the cartridge cases and boxes. The Peters brand shotshells, with their distinctive blue color, continued to be sold separately until the mid 1960s....

in the 1950's the victor type shells were the low base with that headstamp, and the HV were the Highh Base offerings... that is about all I got for ya. sorry. box is selling as we speak for 12 bucks on ebay, and I believe there are some on Gun broker, full boxes, not all that uncommon. it is very cool, i would suggest you dont shoot them, but possibly display them in your home.. they are very cool!!! i would go ahead and glue them, or if you plan on selling them someday, seal them in a ziplock bag or better yet vaccum seal them in a pouch to protect the box and contents till that someday comes...

markopolo

40-82 hiker
07-10-2019, 12:54 AM
Thank you for the response Markopolo. I got the shells back out and looked at them in a different light. I have some 12 gauge stuff I got from my grandfather, along with a Remington double barrel shotgun, so I really can't remember if I bought these shells at a gun show my dad and I used to go to each year in the last half of the 60's, or got them along with my grandfather's stuff. My memory about that part is just gone. I will not shoot them for sure, and have no plans to sell them.

Thanks again.

Markopolo
07-10-2019, 01:14 AM
your wife let you dig them out again after you got everything all put away??? lol :kidding: lucky guy

40-82 hiker
07-10-2019, 02:04 AM
You're not tootin Markopolo. I just went right in there and took them out of the storage box like nobody's business. I didn't let her see me do it. :bigsmyl2: