PDA

View Full Version : PRP trigger installation in a Springfield XDm 45acp

tazman
07-08-2019, 11:32 PM
The PRP trigger for my Springfield XDm 45ACP and the punch set arrived today so I did the install this afternoon.
My first recommendation is watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-ycZ_XxMQ
It is very useful and show all the steps and most of the details necessary for a good install. He leaves out a couple of tidbits that I had to work out for myself to get the install completed.
I suspect he has done it often enough that he doesn't think to tell you that you need to do certain things.
Not a big deal but it wasn't completely intuitive.

After watching the video and working with the pistol, I started the install. I won't do a step by step as the video covers that better than I could.
The thing that the video didn't tell you, is you need to hold the trigger back while putting the locking block back into the pistol. If you don't, things won't line up right and the trigger will go forward far enough it won't work. You need to play with things a bit to get the holes to all line up. DO NOT FORCE THE PINS. If you do, you will break something.
Once you get the pins started moving out of the way, you can move them with hand pressure using the punch set. The punch set, while not absolutely necessary, made things much easier.

All in all, the installation took me a little over 30 minutes to accomplish. I didn't hurry and made sure I understood the video at every step.

I ended up not replacing the springs for the striker and the striker safety plunger. I tested them, but they made almost no difference in the pull of the trigger. These are the springs that actually fire the cartridge so, for the sake of reliability, I left the factory springs in the gun and only changed the trigger springs and trigger.

This kit doesn't give you a trigger comparable to a 1911. But it should make his gun a much better shooter for me.
Before I began the install, I tested the trigger pull with my trigger gauge. It was showing 6 lb pull. After the install, it showed a consistent 3.5 lb pull.
There is still some take up on the trigger pull and just a bit of over travel. Not as much as before but still some there. The reset is very fast.

If a person has any mechanical skills at all and can follow directions from a good video, you should have no trouble doing this install.

I can deal with the take up. I can deal with the over travel. What I could not deal with was the 6lb pull weight. Due to an old injury to my trigger finger, I have trouble with control when the weight exceeds 4.5 lb. At 3.5lb, I should have no trouble with this at all.

One of the more expensive models might give a better trigger. I wanted to try one that didn't require any fitting and this one didn't.
The next step is the range and to see how much it improves my groups. A better trigger always helps me in that regard. Assuming this one works as I think it should, I will be doing another install on my XDm 9mm.

onelight
07-09-2019, 12:16 AM
The PRP trigger for my Springfield XDm 45ACP and the punch set arrived today so I did the install this afternoon.
My first recommendation is watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-ycZ_XxMQ
It is very useful and show all the steps and most of the details necessary for a good install. He leaves out a couple of tidbits that I had to work out for myself to get the install completed.
I suspect he has done it often enough that he doesn't think to tell you that you need to do certain things.
Not a big deal but it wasn't completely intuitive.

After watching the video and working with the pistol, I started the install. I won't do a step by step as the video covers that better than I could.
The thing that the video didn't tell you, is you need to hold the trigger back while putting the locking block back into the pistol. If you don't, things won't line up right and the trigger will go forward far enough it won't work. You need to play with things a bit to get the holes to all line up. DO NOT FORCE THE PINS. If you do, you will break something.
Once you get the pins started moving out of the way, you can move them with hand pressure using the punch set. The punch set, while not absolutely necessary, made things much easier.

All in all, the installation took me a little over 30 minutes to accomplish. I didn't hurry and made sure I understood the video at every step.

I ended up not replacing the springs for the striker and the striker safety plunger. I tested them, but they made almost no difference in the pull of the trigger. These are the springs that actually fire the cartridge so, for the sake of reliability, I left the factory springs in the gun and only changed the trigger springs and trigger.

This kit doesn't give you a trigger comparable to a 1911. But it should make his gun a much better shooter for me.
Before I began the install, I tested the trigger pull with my trigger gauge. It was showing 6 lb pull. After the install, it showed a consistent 3.5 lb pull.
There is still some take up on the trigger pull and just a bit of over travel. Not as much as before but still some there. The reset is very fast.

If a person has any mechanical skills at all and can follow directions from a good video, you should have no trouble doing this install.

I can deal with the take up. I can deal with the over travel. What I could not deal with was the 6lb pull weight. Due to an old injury to my trigger finger, I have trouble with control when the weight exceeds 4.5 lb. At 3.5lb, I should have no trouble with this at all.

One of the more expensive models might give a better trigger. I wanted to try one that didn't require any fitting and this one didn't.
The next step is the range and to see how much it improves my groups. A better trigger always helps me in that regard. Assuming this one works as I think it should, I will be doing another install on my XDm 9mm.
Good for you , glad to hear it went well.
If I remember , the part that needs fitting in the other kit is to set the overtravel and is simple to do , that is the trigger I put in my 5.25 it won’t make a huge difference for most of us.
Like you I prefer 3 to 31/2 lb triggers

tazman
07-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Got to the range today with the new trigger. It works great. Now the XDm 45acp shoots as well as my Range Officer 45ACP. Basically as good as I can hold it.
I was getting consistent 3 inch groups at 15 yards without any flyers. Before I changed the trigger, I would get about 5 inch groups and two or three flyers per magazine.
The last target today was with some purchased H&G68 clones. I fired 30 rounds and just pounded the 10 ring on a B27 silhouette. Nothing outside the 10 ring.

Highway41
07-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Got to the range today with the new trigger. It works great. Now the XDm 45acp shoots as well as my Range Officer 45ACP. Basically as good as I can hold it.
I was getting consistent 3 inch groups at 15 yards without any flyers. Before I changed the trigger, I would get about 5 inch groups and two or three flyers per magazine.
The last target today was with some purchased H&G68 clones. I fired 30 rounds and just pounded the 10 ring on a B27 silhouette. Nothing outside the 10 ring.

I've had the PRP kit in my XD 45 Service for several years now and love it. I believe the XD/XDM to be very underappreciated and have made several converts to the platform after they tried mine. One of the biggest benefits for me was when I got the overtravel stop sanded down just right, it took a while but when I alternate between my service and non PRP triggered Tactical the difference is shocking.

tazman
07-16-2019, 05:53 PM
After I got the 45acp trigger installed and saw how much difference it made, I ordered one for My XDm 9mm 5.25". It came in this morning and I installed it soon after.
Same exact result. It gave 3.5lb pull and a faster reset. Still have a long take up and some over travel but I can deal with that.
Made a quick trip to the range to check it out and got identical results to the 45acp.
Nice to know they are consistent.

onelight
07-17-2019, 01:58 AM
Great to hear . I find them easier to shoot well with the kits and a good upgrade.

Burnt Fingers
07-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Which PRP trigger did you use?

I've got a Springfield XDM 45 Competition on the way and I ordered the Extreme trigger to go with it.

I've had a XD45 for many years and it's an OK shooter for me but doesn't handle SWC boolits at all. I've been wanting a double stack 45 for matches and couldn't find a Remington or Para in my price range. I considered the Rock Island but I got the SA and the trigger for less than the cost of the Rock.

tazman
07-17-2019, 08:21 PM
I used the cheapest model. Called the drop in version. It cost slightly over $100.

Burnt Fingers
07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
I used the cheapest model. Called the drop in version. It cost slightly over $100.

Thanks. I got the drop in Extreme. It's supposed to give a pull in the 2.5 lb range.

tazman
07-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Thanks. I got the drop in Extreme. It's supposed to give a pull in the 2.5 lb range.

That would be great for a target pistol. Not so sure about a combat pistol. It would depend on the individual using it.
I don't have any handguns with that light a trigger. Not sure I could feel it before it went off.

Burnt Fingers
07-19-2019, 12:31 PM
That would be great for a target pistol. Not so sure about a combat pistol. It would depend on the individual using it.
I don't have any handguns with that light a trigger. Not sure I could feel it before it went off.

I'm going to use it in matches. My carry 1911 has a 4 lb trigger and I haven't bothered to measure the trigger in my Sig P365.