PDA

View Full Version : I want a ssa colt style pistol

Jniedbalski
07-08-2019, 01:24 PM
I have always wanted what I call it a cowboy gun. A colt style Ssa . Only problem I don’t know what caliber to get. Iam set up for 38/357 already with every lee 9 mm and 357 bullet mold. I have a 44 mag reloading die I bought 20 years ago and never used.i have always wanted a big bore so 44 mag and 45 colt look good. Looking at a 4 5/8 or 5.5 barrel. I have looked at pistols made by ruger really like the convertible 45 colt/ 45acp. Also looked at the Italian and the German made eaa guns also. Really don’t need a magnum going to be shooting mostly lead cowboy loads at paper. What do you all like . I know I will probably get a bunch of different favorite guns but I have always wanted one so now I will finally get one.

country gent
07-08-2019, 01:38 PM
If possible handle a bunch of different ones and see what feels right in your hand. Also with the rugers try vaquero, Bisley, and black hawks as they are all slightly different. If there is a club near you that has Cowboy matches a trip to a match may allow you to see handle a few different makes models styles. Everybody is different and what feels fits me may not be the same to you. As to caliber again that's up to you and what you want, nostalgic would be 32-20, 38-40 44-40, 45 colt. possibly 45 Scofield. Modern or magnum brings in the 32 mags, 357, 41, 44, and in some hotter loaded 45 colts. Take some time and decide what performance level you want then decide

Jniedbalski
07-08-2019, 01:52 PM
The problem no body around here sells them so for me it’s buy and try out. I don’t have any clubs around here at all. I thank one shop has a ruger bh and one shop has a Italian 45 that’s about it. So that’s why Iam trying to find out what the cowboy shooters use. A old school 38/40 or 44/40 also sounds good thanks

Thumbcocker
07-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Uberti for authenticity; Ruger for strength

frogleg
07-08-2019, 02:05 PM
A lot of the Cowboy action shooters here use 38spl. Cheap to shoot, easy to get back on target and you are set up for it.
i am a 45 colt fan I have had Ubertys, Rugers , and I just recently Bought a Pietta 45 that I have not shot yet but it has very nice fit and finish and I need to go shoot it and report back.

sixshot
07-08-2019, 02:10 PM
If you plan on shooting it very much you will want to reload, factory ammo gets expensive. So, if you think you might want to use it for both plinking & hunting get a 44 magnum & you can shoot 44 specials also. You can buy cast bullets pretty cheap so you can load them mild for plinking & wind them up for hunting. For hotter loads many of us prefer the Bisley grip frame, it's easier to handle with hot loads.
The 41 & 45 are great calibers if you handload, but factory ammo is limited if you don't. The 32 & 327 is very popular right now if you want to stay small & it's cheap to load for, look at the Ruger Single Seven, it shoots both calibers. A 357 Ruger single action is never a bad choice, ammo is everywhere. Lots of good choices but it's always a good idea to shoot someone's gun before you buy, you might not be happy after you've shot a few rounds, surely someone has a gun you can try without spending $500-$600 for one & then not getting the gun you want. Feel & balance are important to all of us.

Dick

Der Gebirgsjager
07-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Whichever one you decide on, I'll bet it wont' be your last. As country gent pointed out, the very best way to select your first is to examine many. Not possible, you say, in your circumstances, and that's unfortunate. You'll want to bear in mind, when making your selection that cowboy action shooting isn't the only use for these revolvers, as they still have various hunting applications and even use as self-defense weapons. The adjustable sights found on the Ruger Blackhawk series are invaluable for point-of-impact adjustment for various loads, but (my opinion) the balance and feel in the hand of an 1873 Colt clone is hard to beat. This is one of those things where eventually you may own a dozen of them and still not be able to select just one as a favorite under all circumstances.

DG

Froogal
07-08-2019, 02:17 PM
I own a Uberti in .45 Colt 7 1/2" barrel. With mild loads it is pleasant to shoot and highly accurate. Also own a Cimarron, .45 Colt, with 5 1/2" barrel. I'm still getting acquainted with it, but accuracy seems to be right up there with the Uberti. Also own a Ruger Vaquero, .357, 5 1/2" barrel. Accuracy is a **** shoot. Has more to do with pure luck than anything else. The Ruger will soon be retired, and replaced with either a Uberti or a Cimarron.

Tom W.
07-08-2019, 02:38 PM
I had the Ruger convertible for years. Then one day in a foolish moment I traded it for something that I also no longer have..... But it was fun! I found that my best boolit for it was the RCBS 270-SAA for the ,45 Colt, and almost any cast boolit for the .45 A.C.P. was good.

And I didn't have to chase brass, either!

Arkansas Paul
07-08-2019, 02:46 PM

^^^ This.

If you go for the Ruger, get whatever caliber you want.

If you go for authenticity, I would go with a round that the original Colt SAA was actually chambered in. That would be .45 Colt, .44-40 and a few others. I know Uberti makes guns in both.

corbinace
07-08-2019, 03:00 PM
You mentioned not having any clubs in the area...There almost has to be a club shooting cowboys in a 200 mile radius of your home town.
Get up on a Saturday morning and drive over to where they are shooting and introduce yourself. You will have a nice Saturday drive, meet some great people, and get to handle a bunch of revolvers. Pack a lunch and the only expense for the day is a bit over a tank of gas.

Sure beats mowing the grass.

Love Life
07-08-2019, 03:10 PM

The Colt is what it is. It’s a piece of functioning art. Has .455 chamber throats but shoots very accurately with .454 lead bullets. It’s regulated at 25 yards with 250 gr bullets. It will hold 15 shots in 3 inches from a bench.

The Uberti is a very close copy. It is not as well fitted, nor is it as smooth as the Colt. However, for its price range it is pretty good. It will routinely keep 15 shots in 3 inches at 25 yards from a bench. It is also well regulated for 250 gr bullets.

The Ruger is a different creature all together. It closely mimics the SAA, but is mechanically different. Not better or worse, just different. It’s is also nicely fitted and finished for it’s price range. What I like about it is you can load and unload without moving the hammer, and you can safely carry 6 rds. I still load it like the others with load one, skip one, load 4 and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. The Ruger can also stand a steady diet of a 255 gr bullet over 9.0 gr of unique. The other two I load with 8.5 gr of unique under a 255 gr bullet. The Ruger is also well regulated for 255 gr bullets and will routinely put 15 shots into 3 inches or less at 25 yards from a bench. The only issue I had with the Ruger was it came with .4504 chamber throats and I had to have Dougguy ream them to .453 for me. That was an unknown cost that I didn’t like having to pay. It also greatly benefited from a trigger job as it was rough as a cob out of the box.

The other 2 were good enough out of the box. The colt had the best action out of the box ( as it should) but it’s trigger is a bit heavy.

So from $500 on the bottom end to $1,900 on the top end, they all do what they are supposed to do. One is a classic and very well fit and finished, one is a pretty good copy, and one is it’s own animal. As you can see, accuracy is similar across all 3 of them. My recommendation is to pick the one that beat suits you and have a blast.

Oh, and they are all 45 Colt. I love that big, old, fat cartridge. They are also all 5.5 inch barrels, which is what I find works best for me.

Walks
07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Surely there must be someone on this website that lives within a 100 miles of you.

Some who has Single Action's that could meet you at a range and let you try out what he has.

I have had SA's all my life. The first New HandGun I ever bought was a SA Colt in .45Colt. 2nd was a NM BlackBlackhawk in .357Mag/6 1/2" bbl. Someone stole the 9mm Cylinder the first time I took it to the Range. It's had 35,000 of the Lyman #358156GC cast of #2 or Lino sized .358 over max chages of 2400. Plus who knows how many .38's and lighter loads.

If I had to chose one from the 15-18 SA's I own I would probably have a stroke between it and My RH Cowboy SA Colt. A .44Spl, 5 1/2" bbl.

Check Lipsey's online. They probably have the most extensive selection of Ruger SA's available.

And I would suggest a NM .44Mag Blackhawk in 5 1/2" bbl.
You can load everything from a 180gr to a 300+gr. However I suggest sticking to 200gr to 285gr bullets.
I like the .44spl "Skeeter load" of a 240-250gr bullet over Unique. As a easy plinking load or for Paper Punching, cuts clean holes. I load a 200-210-214gr Bullet in .44spl over a starting charge of TiteGroup for Cowboy Shooting in My Colts, depending on mold and alloy.

If you like Lee molds, I believe they offer a 240gr SWC in Tumble Lube design.

Good Luck with your first Single Action. I'm Sure it'll be the first of many.

Green Frog
07-08-2019, 03:52 PM
My 32-20 is a Navy Arms made by Uberti while my 327 Fed Mag is a Ruger Blackhawk. I also have a Uberti built 45 Colt that was bought through Taylor. The 45 is "Taylor Tuned" and the 32-20 had a similar package from Navy. Both of them feel a little smoother than the Ruger, but from the factory that Blackhawk is no slouch! For casual, fun shooting, any one of these will suit you well, for serious competition, you need to examine the application and what people already shooting that specific game are using. :Fire:

I would avoid 38-40 and 44-40 as you mention since ammo is harder to get off the shelf and both calibers are a little bit harder to load with less commonly available brass. As I think about this, I'm leaning toward advising you, based on your OP, to look at a 357 Vaquero from Ruger, but this is free advice and worth exactly what I'm charging you for it! ;)

Froggie

bedbugbilly
07-08-2019, 04:05 PM
I went with a Uberti . . . . then another Uberti . . . . . then another Uberti . .. . . then another Uberti . . . . then another Uberti . . . . . . then

I love all of my Uberti single actions . . . . . 38 spl - 357 mag - 45 Colt

Baja_Traveler
07-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Love my 44 special!

Love Life
07-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Love my 44 special!

I love your 44 special too!!

bob208
07-08-2019, 07:06 PM
my first single action was a ruger Blackhawk .357 4 5/8 barrel. got it used in 71 still have it. it has been used on every thing from deer to water skippers. carried it a lot on the tractor mowing fields. I owned it for 6 years before I fired a mag. case in it. it did eat a lot of .38-44 loads.

now I have ubertis in .44-40 .38-40 and .45 colt. also more old model rugers.

but if something would happen the last one to go would be the first ruger in .357. it covers both ends light loads for tin cans and heavy loads for self-defense or hunting.

Alchemist
07-08-2019, 09:43 PM
An option no one has mentioned yet is Standard Manufacturing. They make a clone of the Single Action Army that is superb! Brian Pearce did an article in Handloader about three issues ago. I bought one about a month ago, haven’t shot it yet but it is a work of art. Costs about what a Colt would cost if you could get one, but quality is second to none. All machined steel parts. No MIM, cast or alloy. Check ‘em out, they are awesome.

Love Life
07-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Those standard single actions look mighty fine!!

Texas by God
07-08-2019, 10:09 PM
My first centerfire SA was a Ruger 4-5/8” 3 screw .357. I loved that thing. I’ve always admired the Ubertis and no one has mentioned their Remington 1875/1890 clones- which are very nice as well. I just can’t justify the $$$$ for a Colt when the Ubertis are of equal quality. Don’t hate me.
Fixed sights often mean one load is the only one that hits point of aim but that’s not an awful thing if it’s a good load.

jimb16
07-08-2019, 10:15 PM
I've got a Ruger Blackhawk and a Uberti 1873. both in .45 colt. Like someone said, Ruger for strength and Uberti for authenticity. You would be happy with either, and happier with both!

OS OK
07-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Nothing wrong with a Colt either...

https://i.imgur.com/9LAuVAw.jpg

Start a poll and get a consensus...

sandog
07-09-2019, 12:13 AM
While an SA in .357 is the cheapest to shoot, I've never cared for the extra weight and heft of that additional metal in the barrel and cylinder. They just don't feel like a big bore SA feels.
Ruger Flattop Convertible ( one cylinder for .45 Colt and one cylinder to shoot .45 ACP). 5 1/2" barrel, and some gunsmithing extras that I did myself:
https://i.imgur.com/Q485uRoh.jpg

Piedmont
07-09-2019, 12:50 AM
I too think you should consider weights. The Uberti is slightly heavier than a Colt SAA because the cylinder is a bit larger, so stronger also. The Ruger Flattops with steel grip frames are heavier still. A Uberti in .44 or .45 will give you the Colt feel without the Colt price and weigh under 40 ounces. The .357s are heavier, whether Colt or Uberti, but especially Ruger unless you get the aluminum gripframe.

No experience with a SAA or clone in .38-40 but part of me would really like to try that one.

Bazoo
07-09-2019, 03:55 AM
I've never owned a colt or clone. Owned several Ruger new models though. For me I would rather have the ability to carry 6 instead of 5. I think the beretta clone is a transfer bar gun, but it's been a long time since I looked at one. Not to mention that colts have a trigger that is not centered. That don't bother most but I can't stand it. I'm a shooter and all my guns are working guns, I prefer the adjustable sights on the Ruger. But I've been known to shoot handguns to 50 yards regularly, and past on occasion. I've shot my 1911 out to 125 yards against my 2/3 IPSC. Many folks don't shoot past 25 so if their gun pulls 4 inches left at 50 it's no big deal.

35 Whelen
07-09-2019, 05:50 AM

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk and a Uberti 1873. both in .45 colt. Like someone said, Ruger for strength and Uberti for authenticity. You would be happy with either, and happier with both!

Uberti's, Ruger Flat Top's (new), and New Vaquero's are all available in 45 ACP whose maximum pressure is 23,000 psi in +P loading, so they're all about the same where strength is concerned. In fact, if you ta a caliper to any of their cylinders, you'll find them nearly identical dimensionally.

I was bitten by the SA bug about 10 years ago and it's turned into a chronic infection. I now own or have owned them in Colt (1st and 3rd Generation), Pietta, Uberti/Cimarron, Ruger, Sauer and USFA, and chambered in 32-20, 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 38-40, .44 Special, 44-40, .44 Magnum and 45 Colt.

Colt's are just too expensive for a range toy. 1st Gen's are usually very well built, but loose from 100+ years of use, but can be a good investment. I have two (1903 & 1905) in 38-40 and love them. 2nd Gen's are well built, but expensive. 3rd Gen's are a **** shoot where quality is concerned. In fact al Colt's are just plain expensive!

I've only owned one Pietta, and was not impressed with it, but I could've just gotten a bad egg.

Where Ruger's are concerned, I had a New Vaquero in 45 Colt. Never again. I had to put way too much sweat into that thing to get it to shoot, and the problems associated with this model are very well known. I have a Flat Top .44 Special and it's a nice revolver grouping 6" - 7" at 100 yds. I also had a 6 1/2" Blackhawk .357. It was a shooter too but too heavy for carrying.

I owned two J.P. Sauer's in .44 Magnum and sold them, BIG mistake. Those are some extremely well fitted revolvers and both were beautifully accurate. They're also available in .357, but they're fairly large revolvers too.

I've owned and still own close to a dozen Uberti's. If you're OK with fixed sights, you need look no further. My oldest was made in the '90's and the newest about two years ago. Uberti's quality just seems to keep improving. The fit of these revolvers, especially for the price is quite amazing. Any of these revolvers will easily keep all their shots into fist size groups at 50 yds. when fired from a seated, back rested position. I've bought three 2017 production Uberti's and all of them were out-of-the-box accurate, had very nice triggers, and were well fitted. The most recent, a 7 1/2" Flat Top 44-40 to which I fitted a .44 Special cylinder, has just blown me away.

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/429383%2075%20yds_zpscffdwn5r.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/429383%2075%20yds_zpscffdwn5r.jpg.html)

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/Uberti%20Flat%20Top%2075%20yds%20edit_zpshnvifyai. jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/Uberti%20Flat%20Top%2075%20yds%20edit_zpshnvifyai. jpg.html)

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/429244%2075%20yds._zps4xukd8sv.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Uberti%20%20Flat%20Top/429244%2075%20yds._zps4xukd8sv.jpg.html)

SO for brand, if you're OK with a fixed sighted revolver, get a Uberti. I know there are tons of posts regarding fixed sighted SA revolvers shooting left, but I assure you from my own experience that 99% of the time it's the shooter, not the revolver. Up until a couple of years ago Uberti made their revolvers with an unobtrusive safety that when the hammer was drawn back to the safe notch, pivoted up and acted as a block. These are my favorite, but they're running out having been replaced by a retracting or floating firing pin.

If you want a revolver with adjustable sights, a Ruger Flat Top would be my first choice.

As to calibers, if you only want something to take to the range, by all means get a .357. The versatility of this chambering just can't be overstated. Just last night I grabbed one of my .357's and did a little 75 yd. plinking. Even with fixed sights, hitting my 75 yd. steel plate was easy with 38 Special loads at 850 fps and .357 loads at 1350 fps. I have a couple of .357 Uberti Hombre's left over from when I tried CAS for a while and they're remarkably accurate for entry level revolvers-

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Hombre%2075%20yds._zpso8h5qtye.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Hombre%2075%20yds._zpso8h5qtye.jpg.html)

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Hombre%2075%20yds%20reduced_zpslf9vhmoa.j pg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Hombre%2075%20yds%20reduced_zpslf9vhmoa.j pg.html)

These can still be found (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820253538) without the floating firing pin and worth the money.

If you think you might ever hunt with your revolver, by all means get a .44 Special. The beauty of this caliber is it doesn't seem to be at all picky about powders and bullets and that POI's are very close whether one uses the original load of a 246 gr. RN @ 750 fps or a hunting load of a 260 gr. SWC @ 1000 or more fps. I've probably fired more .44 Special than all others combined and it's my favorite caliber for hunting. I've owned 6 or 8 in this caliber and not one has been inaccurate.

The 45 Colt is an interesting round but a little more difficult to shoot as POI's vary a lot, especially when one uses varying weights of bullets.

I like all the remaining calibers and shoot them quite a bit, but the 38/357 and .44 Special are far and away the most practical.

Good luck with your choice!

35W

45 Dragoon
07-09-2019, 09:16 AM
As 35Whelen pointed out, the new Uberti's have a retracting firing pin. This allows one to load six. I've had one come through the shop and it was pretty impressive.

Mike

Thunder Stick
07-09-2019, 09:47 AM
I like the Rugers and own a 38/357 Blackhawk. Used to own a Blackhawk in .41 Mag and sold it in a moment of stupidity. You can keep all six rounds in a Blackhawk because it has a transfer bar. I can reload it for 8 cents a round and 38/357 brass is everywhere. Here it is with my Marlin in the same caliber. I picked it up used for $300.

https://i.imgur.com/rJbbIGg.jpg

smkummer
07-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Cowboy action shooters appear to eventually migrate to 357/38 for cost and speed. The weight is noticeable comparing a 38 SAA to a 44 or 45, but this mainly just comes to play when you “play” with your saa and less so when shooting. I am loading a 200 grain bullet for both 44 and 45 at about 700 FPS for cowboy action and I can shoot this all day long at the range for plinking, it also shoots very close to a 250 grain bullet going out at 850-900 FPS out to about 25 yards. Cowboy action will allow blackhawks and New Frontiers in certain categories so if you like adjustable sights, get one. No wait, get 2, one in each caliber and enjoy.

contender1
07-09-2019, 10:17 AM
To the OP,,, a lot of folks have said for you to try them before you spend money. Sage advice.

You mentioned no shops or clubs near you.

Do this;

Get online,, look up the Single Action Shooting Society. Find clubs & matches,, as you may not be aware of where they all are located. You may have to drive an hour or two to find one,, but it will be WELL worth it. Go to a match or 3,, and when you arrive,, introduce yourself to the folks running the match & say you are interested in watching & trying it a little. Explain your thoughts & what you desire. Shooters will fall all over themselves offering help to you. You WILL get to try different guns, ammo & such to see what will fit YOU & your desires. And while shooting an actual stage & all may seem intimidating at first,, they will be patient & help you.
And if you really just want to test fire a few guns,, many will let you do so "off to the side" SAFELY,, in a bay under the guidance of a safety officer.
It is well worth the time it'll take to do this.

Froogal
07-09-2019, 10:19 AM
To the OP,,, a lot of folks have said for you to try them before you spend money. Sage advice.

You mentioned no shops or clubs near you.

Do this;

Get online,, look up the Single Action Shooting Society. Find clubs & matches,, as you may not be aware of where they all are located. You may have to drive an hour or two to find one,, but it will be WELL worth it. Go to a match or 3,, and when you arrive,, introduce yourself to the folks running the match & say you are interested in watching & trying it a little. Explain your thoughts & what you desire. Shooters will fall all over themselves offering help to you. You WILL get to try different guns, ammo & such to see what will fit YOU & your desires. And while shooting an actual stage & all may seem intimidating at first,, they will be patient & help you.
And if you really just want to test fire a few guns,, many will let you do so "off to the side" SAFELY,, in a bay under the guidance of a safety officer.
It is well worth the time it'll take to do this.

Also, NCOWS. National Congress of Old West Shooters.

str8wal
07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
45 "COLT" nuff said ;-)

rmark
07-09-2019, 05:33 PM
From pure economics I'd say go .38 special. I had a friend in high school who had his cowboy grandfathers original Colt in 32-20, so when I had the chance to get a Uberti 32-20 I took it. But its a sentimental decision on my part.

35 Whelen
07-09-2019, 06:13 PM
I love my Uberti 32-20, it's a neat little cartridge that's a miser when it comes to lead and powder.

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Uberti%2032-20%20Right%20side_zpszyupj4a8.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Uberti%2032-20%20Right%20side_zpszyupj4a8.jpg.html)

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Uberti%2032-20-2%20edit_zpscpwknyu5.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/Uberti%2032-20-2%20edit_zpscpwknyu5.jpg.html)

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/32-20%20%2075%20yds.%20edit_zpsiwaftuzd.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%2032-20/32-20%20%2075%20yds.%20edit_zpsiwaftuzd.jpg.html)

35W

Jniedbalski
07-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have a lot of gun shops around me but every body is in to the plastic guns. So no body carries the sa guns .I bought my first 1851 navy in 82 when I was 14 with my lawn mowing money. I shot it thousands and thousands of rounds. I also bought three 1858 Remingtons in 45 later on. The 1851 in 36 is still my favorite bp gun. I can just shoot it better. Don’t know why but that little 36 is lighter and just shoots to where I aim at. The grip also fits me better. I reload for over 20 calibers so reloading for it is a must. The Rugers are almost out of my price range but the convertible in 357/ 9mm or the 45colt/ 45acp with adj sights are are almost to good to pass up. The Italian guns with the case harden frame blue barrel and cylinder are almost like a work of art . I will look up clubs in my area. They should have one close to me. I hope. But then I get to decide on only one for now . So many good choices out there. Thank for all the reply’s and help

Jniedbalski
07-09-2019, 10:07 PM
35 Whelen that 32/20 you have like I said looks to me like a work of art. Very awesome looking gun . About perfect in my eyes .

35 Whelen
07-09-2019, 11:14 PM
35 Whelen that 32/20 you have like I said looks to me like a work of art. Very awesome looking gun . About perfect in my eyes .

Well thank you. If you like it, then I'm sure you'll appreciate this one-

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Frisco%2075%20yds%2045-270%209-9-2018_zps00czqpf1.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Frisco%2075%20yds%2045-270%209-9-2018_zps00czqpf1.jpg.html)

This is a Uberti Frisco. It was a display model and some knucklehead scored a line around the cylinder, but a beautiful revolver, none the less. Too bad they only chamber them in 45 Colt.

35W

Drm50
07-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Ruger Blackhawk is the best you can by without going into hi end semi custom which are mostly refined Rugers.
Most durable SA ever built including Colt. Many models and calibers available to pick from. I like the old 3 screw model in 45Colt.

William Yanda
07-10-2019, 08:03 AM
"So, if you think you might want to use it for both plinking & hunting get a 44 magnum & you can shoot 44 specials also." Sixshot

Not trying to be controversial, but is there any advantage to shooting 44 Special over downloaded 44 Magnum?

35 Whelen
07-10-2019, 08:16 AM
"So, if you think you might want to use it for both plinking & hunting get a 44 magnum & you can shoot 44 specials also." Sixshot

Not trying to be controversial, but is there any advantage to shooting 44 Special over downloaded 44 Magnum?

I vote no. In fact having killed more than a few head of game with .44 cast bullets, there's no need for the power of a .44 Magnum for game in the deer and hog size range. Even bullets plugging along at 900 fps or so completely penetrate on broadside shots.

The single advantage I see to the magnum is availability of factory ammunition, which matters little to handloaders.

35W

Jniedbalski
07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Also looked at the EAA bounty hunter made in Germany. Does any body have any experience with that brand? I also like the 32 H&R mag and the 327 but very few companies make them and they are priced like it. The 32/20 38/40 and the 44/40 are also priced higher than the 357 of 45 colt.

Jniedbalski
07-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Got another question. For accuracy what would pick. 38/357/ 9 mm Or 45 colt/45 acp I know it depends on the gun but some of you cowboy saa guys what seems overall more accurate?

bob208
07-10-2019, 07:15 PM
I have seen a lot of myths posted. first the .45 colt was the most powerful handgun until it was replaced by the .357 mag in 1932. the difference in weight is so small it only counts to those trying to say mine is better then yours. also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely.

Texas by God
07-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum. Mild to Wild, accurate enough to make you look good. I have played with most of the aforementioned calibers but the 41 magnum is the one I always come back to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

45 Dragoon
07-10-2019, 07:54 PM
It was the Colt Walker that was the most powerful until the 357.

Mike

junkbug
07-10-2019, 08:05 PM
If you really liked the feel of your 51 Navy, then a Uberti SAA is the way to go. The grip is virtually identical. There are always people who say the early Rugers are also just as close, but they are very expensive and very hard to find now. From what you have posted, go with an Uberti. Personally, I would chose .45 colt because that is what the earliest ones were, but the .357 mag in this revolver has probably more general utility. But for me, I want to play with historical black powder loads, so the .45 colt is it. Plenty of smokeless possibilities also.

Jniedbalski
07-10-2019, 09:00 PM
About 20 years ago there was a 41 mag real cheep at a local gun shop. They only wanted 250 for it. It looked new. I thought about buying it but really didint load for pistols yet. A 40 cal to me is about perfect

Alchemist
07-11-2019, 08:20 PM
I have seen a lot of myths posted. first the .45 colt was the most powerful handgun until it was replaced by the .357 mag in 1932. the difference in weight is so small it only counts to those trying to say mine is better then yours. also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely.

I don’t think you understand the issue of carrying an old style SA fully loaded. Perhaps you should do more homework. And it’s irresponsible to advise others who are asking about a particular platform if you are advocating unsafe practices.

bob208
07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
I don't think you know what you are talking about. you have to look at the cap and ball pistols and then go figure it out. but at no time is the hammer over a live primer except when the gun is cocked to fire.

Love Life
07-11-2019, 09:04 PM
The SAA and a cap and ball are different.

The below photo is of a Colt Single Action Army. My Uberti Single Action pre-safety type is the same way. The hammer is absolutely over a live primer, and the firing pin touches the primer.

I’m this first photo you can see the hammer at rest and the firing pin protruding.

In this second photo you can see the hammer at rest and the firing pin resting on the “primer” of a snap cap.

dverna
07-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Having owned a number of them, I prefer a true Colt SAA.

Not cheap, but they hold their value well. I have settled on .38/.357 and shoot almost exclusively .38’s.

Getting them tuned makes a noticeable difference in smoothness and speed

charlie b
07-11-2019, 09:24 PM
I think what bob is referring to is to let the hammer down between chambers. Some of the early C&B had small pins that would engage the hammer to keep the cylinder from rotating. The Remington had notches in the cylinder for the same purpose.

I never tried that with a SAA type. The only SA I owned was a Blackhawk with transfer bar. .45 convertible. Shot well but I never warmed up to it.

Father-in-law had an Uberti in .357 that he really liked. It liked larger bullets at med or low power loads. He carried snake shot in the first two chambers, 158gn cast SWC in the other four (he had more rattlesnakes than other predators where he lived).

I have to admit that I liked the feel of the Uberti in .357 better than my Ruger. Obviously I did not keep the Ruger very long.

If it matters my wife found an original Colt in .32-20 that she fell in love with. The only reason we don't have it is the price was north of $4000.

bob208
07-11-2019, 09:45 PM
you got it the firing pin is trapped between the rims of two cartages and rests against the steel of the cylinder.

Bazoo
07-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Bob, I've never heard of that trick with a SAA, thanks for sharing.

contender1
07-11-2019, 11:15 PM
bob208,, I read & re-read your post; "also you can carry six in a old model rugers ,colts and colt clones safely." I must that exception to trying this with an OM Ruger. If you try to; "you got it the firing pin is trapped between the rims of two cartages and rests against the steel of the cylinder." you will have a "Loose cylinder" that isn't locked in place, and could rotate to where the firing pin is over a live round. To rotate a Ruger to try & put the firing pin in between two rounds,, the gun has to be in the half-cock position. It is NOT a safe idea to try & do this with an OM Ruger, built between 1953 & 1973.

onelight
07-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Historically the accepted practice for pre hammer block/transfer bar revolvers was an empty chamber under the hammer for every day cary.

sandog
07-12-2019, 08:49 AM
I think Bob was confused. If you carry 6 with an OM Ruger, Colt or Colt clone, eventually you'll have an accident.
First he said OM Rugers, Colts and Colt clones, then in reply #50 he changed that to cap and ball pistols.

As far as his other myths, the .357 was not introduced in 1932. Some sources say 1934, some 1935.
Difference in weights of various SA's is small as he said, just a few ounces. But there is a big difference in balance and feel because of the extra metal in the .357's. I've never held a .357 SA that felt and handled as nice as a .44 or .45.

Froogal
07-12-2019, 02:00 PM
Got another question. For accuracy what would pick. 38/357/ 9 mm Or 45 colt/45 acp I know it depends on the gun but some of you cowboy saa guys what seems overall more accurate?

All of those are more accurate than we are, but I will relate my own experiences. I own a Uberti, .45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrel. I also own a Cimarron .45 Colt with 5 1/2" barrel. In MY hands, the longer barrel is more accurate, or at least more consistent. Nothing wrong with the shorter barrel either, but it does require a bit more concentration. My wife shoots a Ruger Vaquero, .357, 5 1/2" barrel. She was really having trouble hitting the targets, so I took a turn with it. I couldn't hit consistently either. It was shooting low and to the left for both of us. I bought a Cimarron in .357, 5 1/2 barrel. It shoots to the point of aim right out of the box and put the fun back into the game.

sandog
07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Where a fixed sight gun hits out of the box doesn't answer jneidbalski's question about accuracy.
In the Ruger convertibles, cheap 115 grain FMJ out of the 9mm cylinder isn't going to do as well as most .357 ammo will.
I got pretty good (2 inch groups at 25 yards) using 147 grain Federal FMJ.

With the 45ACP, you'll probably do better because the diameter of those is a better match to bore diameter.

If you reload, you can see better accuracy with any caliber.

And those fixed sight revolvers like the Vaquero can be regulated so they don't shoot low and left ( or where ever).

jaguarxk120
07-12-2019, 03:55 PM
I think Bob was confused. If you carry 6 with an OM Ruger, Colt or Colt clone, eventually you'll have an accident.
First he said OM Rugers, Colts and Colt clones, then in reply #50 he changed that to cap and ball pistols.

As far as his other myths, the .357 was not introduced in 1932. Some sources say 1934, some 1935.
Difference in weights of various SA's is small as he said, just a few ounces. But there is a big difference in balance and feel because of the extra metal in the .357's. I've never held a .357 SA that felt and handled as nice as a .44 or .45.

I just tried it with my Uberti 45's, yes the firing pin is trapped between the two cartridge
rims with the hammer down.

The usual drill is load one chamber, skip one chamber, load four chambers, cock and let the hammer down on the empty
chamber.

Froogal
07-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Where a fixed sight gun hits out of the box doesn't answer jneidbalski's question about accuracy.
In the Ruger convertibles, cheap 115 grain FMJ out of the 9mm cylinder isn't going to do as well as most .357 ammo will.
I got pretty good (2 inch groups at 25 yards) using 147 grain Federal FMJ.

With the 45ACP, you'll probably do better because the diameter of those is a better match to bore diameter.

If you reload, you can see better accuracy with any caliber.

And those fixed sight revolvers like the Vaquero can be regulated so they don't shoot low and left ( or where ever).

With a fixed sight gun, you want to see just the very top of the front sight when looking down the rear groove. My Uberti conforms to that technique, as well as both of the Cimarrons, right out of the box. The Ruger Vaquero does not. Yes, I could file away part of the front sight and maybe rotate the barrel a bit, but if the others shoot to point of aim right out of the box, why would you want to fuss with all of that on a Ruger?

9.3X62AL
07-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Not a huge sample size, but "Here goes" anyway. I have owned 2 Uberti Cattleman revolvers with 4-3/4" barrels. The older variant (1990s) was in 45 Colt, and I regret selling it VERY MUCH. Using 250 grain cast bullets (Lymans #454190 and #454424) it placed both right where the sights looked at 25 yards using 9.0 grains of Unique. These clocked in the 850-875 FPS ZIP Code. I never had the good fortune of sending one at a mule deer, but I have no doubt that either bullet cast of WW metal would have filled the tag quite capably.

I also have a C-Man currently in 44/40 WCF caliber. It was made c. 2012 or thereabouts, and has that push-in cylinder arbor pin that is alleged to make it 'safe' for loading 6 into the charge holes. That pin regimen is a PITA, and I don't/won't use it. It reminds me of the "button safeties on Marlin leverguns" and "keyholes in S&W revolvers" stupidities that have proliferated in the 21st Century. THERE ARE NO FOOLPROOF GUNS--SO FOOLS NEED TO LEAVE GUN THE HELL ALONE. The sights place hits where they look at 25 yards using SAECO #446 200 grain RNFP over a variety of fuels giving 875-900 FPS (RL-7, 2400, SR-4227, SR-4756, Unique, Herco). This revolver is a companion arm to an 1897-made Win '73 carbine that sends these same loads at 1100-1150 FPS. The biggest component upgrade I have ever made in this caliber has been to TOSS OUT the W-W and R-P brass and replace it with Starline cases. LIGHT-YEARS-BETTER.

I also have a Colt Bisley Model x 4-3/4" in 32/20 WCF. It too has a companion rifle--a 2004-made Marlin 1894CCL with 20" octagon barrel. Oh, how I like these firearms! And the other two 32/20 revolvers I have on-hand, a Colt Army Special and a S&W M&P, both 5"-barreled. Here again, we have another caliber that benefits markedly from Starline brass intercession.

In all of these S/A wheelguns I have always carried them with "5 Beans In The Wheel", the hammer at rest over an empty chamber. My Ruger S/As are carried full-up. I will give a test-drive to Bob's "between the rims" method with empty cases later today. I will need to go hands-on with the process before I can assess the "warm fuzzies" or "cold sweat" potential of the method.

Jniedbalski
07-12-2019, 07:25 PM
The Uberti in 45 looks great to me. There is a gun show this weekend in town so I will go check it out. All the info every body posted Is of great help. I should get the 38/357 because I already have all the bullet molds and dies already but I have always wanted a big bore. 45 fits the bill because I can use black powder or smokeless and the ssa was originally in 45. Not looking for a magnum just a fun shooting gun. Got to S&Ws in 38 so the 45 looks great. Thanks for all the help

Love Life
07-12-2019, 07:48 PM
You’ll enjoy the 45 Colt.

sandog
07-12-2019, 09:27 PM
With a fixed sight gun, you want to see just the very top of the front sight when looking down the rear groove. My Uberti conforms to that technique, as well as both of the Cimarrons, right out of the box. The Ruger Vaquero does not. Yes, I could file away part of the front sight and maybe rotate the barrel a bit, but if the others shoot to point of aim right out of the box, why would you want to fuss with all of that on a Ruger?
??? Some Rugers might be right on out of the box, some not. Some Uberti's might be right on out of the box, some aren't. So you are going to trade off the Ruger just because you are unwilling to try to regulate it ?
You are just lucky the Cimarrons/Ubertis are right on. I've had to rotate and/or file the front blade on many Ubertis/Cimarrons/Piettas.
Most SA's come with a too tall front sight just so you can file it down to get it dead on.
Properly regulating fixed sight sixguns would be cheaper than trading them off because you are unwilling to do so.

Froogal
07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
??? Some Rugers might be right on out of the box, some not. Some Uberti's might be right on out of the box, some aren't. So you are going to trade off the Ruger just because you are unwilling to try to regulate it ?
You are just lucky the Cimarrons/Ubertis are right on. I've had to rotate and/or file the front blade on many Ubertis/Cimarrons/Piettas.
Most SA's come with a too tall front sight just so you can file it down to get it dead on.
Properly regulating fixed sight sixguns would be cheaper than trading them off because you are unwilling to do so.

No. I am not getting rid of the Ruger. The reason we bought the Cimarron is because we needed to know if the Ruger was at fault, or if my wife was having issues. The Cimarron PROVED it was the Ruger that had issues. I WILL work on it. Might give me an excuse to buy some more gunsmithing tools.

Pressman
07-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Froogal, it's just a short drive over to Grinnelland Brownells.

35 Whelen
07-17-2019, 12:10 AM

I don’t think you understand the issue of carrying an old style SA fully loaded. Perhaps you should do more homework. And it’s irresponsible to advise others who are asking about a particular platform if you are advocating unsafe practices.

So many emotions when it comes to this subject. I can't for the life of me figure out why no one trusts the safety notch of the Colt's, Uberti's, older Ruger's et al. No one seems to consider that for a couple of centuries now men have headed off into the woods carrying exposed hammer firearms, loaded, with the hammer resting in the safety notch and never gave it a second thought. So why is it taboo to do so with a revolver???

Another little tidbit about which very few seem to be aware, is Uberti and their hammer blocks. When the hammer is drawn to the safety notch, a little block pivots up thus preventing the hammer, were it struck, to fall allowing the firing pin to detonate a primer.

In the down position-

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Frisco%20hammer%202_zpsvae71ilf.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Frisco%20hammer%202_zpsvae71ilf.jpg.html)

And in the actuated position-

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Ubertihammer_zps963a9dcf.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Ubertihammer_zps963a9dcf.jpg.html)

And as far as "...advocating unsafe practices.", I think that's a little dramatic. Firearms aren't for idiots.

Almost forgot, lowering the hammer between the rims of two cartridges doesn't work very well with the .44 Special, 45 Colt and others with large diameter rims. I carry a SA .44 Special a lot and tried that for awhile, but one day found the cylinder had rotated enough that the firing pin was resting on the rim of a cartridge. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a .357/38 and other small rim cartridges.

35W

sandog
07-17-2019, 08:02 AM
35 Whelen, you don't trust the safety notch as it's a very shallow notch, and it doesn't take much of a blow against the hammer to have that notch fail. A fall to the ground or even a strirrup hitting it when saddling or unsaddling.

Which brings me to another must when carrying a revolver. Use a retaining strap or leather thong around the hammer to hold the revolver in the holster. You'd be surprised how many guys don't.
Whenever someone relates a story about an accident it usually involves the gun "coming out" of the holster and hitting the ground. Would have never happened if some sort of retaining strap was used.

"No one seems to consider that for a couple of centuries now men have headed off into the woods carrying exposed hammer firearms, loaded with the hammer resting in the safety notch and never gave it a second thought".

Yeah and for that same amount of time, there have been accidents because of that, too.
A lot of guys think they're invincible, and that nothing bad will happen to them.
A resistance to employ those two rules, chamber under the hammer empty, and always use a retaining strap, has got a lot of guys into trouble. If you've ever read about the gold rush and westward expansion, many journals of wagon train parties mention someone dying of accidental discharge from their own firearm.

Froogal
07-17-2019, 09:24 AM
I just now opened the safe and took a look at my Uberti and Cimarrons. They do not have that safety notch thing.

Froogal
07-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Froogal, it's just a short drive over to Grinnelland Brownells.

And an even shorter drive to my local gunsmith, or to Midway USA. Grinnell is about a 3 hour drive.

Bent Ramrod
07-17-2019, 09:32 AM
I don’t have any personal experience of the SAA “safety” issue (nor do I want to do any such research), but from my reading, it isn’t just that the safety notch on the hammer is fragile and the trigger sear is easily broken.

The same ergonomics and balance that allows the gun to roll up in the hand on recoil for recocking also increases the probability that the gun, if fumbled out of the holster or otherwise dropped, will land on the hammer and backstrap when it hits the ground. The barrel, at this point, is pointing up at an angle at the shooter’s thigh or groin.

A rifle with the hammer on the half-cock notch would be difficult (I hesitate to say anything is “impossible” any more) to drop this way. I’ve not read any specific autopsy reports, but there is enough mention in the old magazines of this peculiarity of the single action ergonomic design, and the consequences, so I’m really not interested in testing whether it’s a “myth” or not. I just load five.