PDA

View Full Version : Im lost again and need help with what these molds are.

mikenbarb
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I came across two molds today and cant find info anywhere. The first is an Ideal 308280 and the second is a Hensley & Gibbs #11 thats hand stamped.:confused: I am clueless with these and any help would be appreciated. The H&G looks like a .22 caliber double mold if it helps. Thanks in advance.

beagle
10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
The 308280 should be a .30 cal. 196 grain SP.

The #11 H & G should be a .22. A 45 grain GC with RN similar to the Lyman/Ideal 225438. Man, I'd sure like to have that #11. Good score.

/beagle

mikenbarb
10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
:-D Im a happy man. Thanks. Whats the deal with the hand stamped numbers on the H&G?

Firebird
10-27-2008, 11:59 PM
That's how George Hensley stamped his early molds, does it also have an Oregon or San Diego address? If no address then it's probably a very early Hensley mold from San Diego. Go to TexasFlyboys excellent website on H&G molds (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm) where there are several articles explaining about the history and markings.

mikenbarb
10-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Thats the only numbers on it so I guess its an old one. Cool thing to know and guess its gonna be retired and sit with the other old stuff I got. I looked on the site but cant find any with just numbers stamped on it. Is there any way to find out how old this is or the value of it?

floodgate
10-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Mike:

Beagle's got it, #308280 was a 196-gr., plain-base spire-point, introduced in Marlin / Ideal Handbook No. 22 (1911): "For .30 U. S. 1906 and 1903 Springfield. Used and recommended by crack indoor military shot P. J. ["Paddy"] O'Hare of the 1st Infantry, N. G. N. J. [National Guard, New Jersey]. At 100 yards, 10 shots standing and 10 shots prone with two sighting shots each he put 22 of the 24 shots in the 4 inch bullseye. Weight about 196 grains, using 1 to 10 or No. 2 Ideal Bullet metal. Seat in shell without crimp so as to cover the two base bands only. The front band and portion ahead of front groove are the same diameter to ride on top of the lands, the two base bands only taking the rifling. Use 12 to 15 grains of Du Pont "Marksman" or Schuetzen Smokeless Powder. Fine for 200 yard shooting. Price of Single Mould....Special List, $1.50"

Discontinued following Ideal Handbook No. 33 (1939).

For checking out older ones like this, get the Ideal Handbook reprints from Cornell Publications. Useful ones are No. 9 (1897, the first issue using the "modern" bullet mould numbers), No. 15 (the early "high point"), No. 26, No. 28 (the first full Lyman issue) No. 34 and No. 39 (which itself has a reprint of the old Ideal No. 4, 1892).

Doug

Texasflyboy
10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
...I looked on the site but cant find any with just numbers stamped on it.......... Is there any way to find out how old this is or the value of it?

It's inferred in a number of articles on the early George A. Hensley moulds. Mould blocks appearing only with the numbers is *usually* an indication of pre-1939 manufacture. Since I have been unable to prove my hypothesis based on available information, I can only guess as to the date of manufacture as between 1933 and 1939.

I suspected (hypothesized) that George made handles ahead of time in batches in the early days. And then stamped them with his name. Blocks were made to order and then attached to handles. Which is why the very early moulds only have the mould number, as cast diameter, and weight stamped on the blocks and no "makers mark" on the blocks, only on the handles.

As to value...it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, as with all things.

I am sure there are a few folks here who, given unlimited funds, would gladly pay you practically any asking price to own this fine mould. However, most of us, including me, haven't found that pot of gold. Therefore, the value of this mould is probably about 20% below what we would have to pay to have a custom version made today by one of the existing mould mfg's. So, if it cost $100 to have a custom two cavity mould made, then my guess is that someone would be willing to pay $80 for it.

The final arbiter of all things value wise is putting it on the auction block (eBay or Auction Arms) and seeing what it will bring. Or posting a price and "OBO" on the for sale section. I gave up years ago trying to nail down mould prices, since I always ignored my research and paid stout prices for moulds because I had the cash and because I wanted it more than anyone else.

That's my .02.

Tom

mikenbarb
11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Thganks everyone for the help and knowledge. It looks like im going to hold onto them at least for now because I love the old stuff alot better than new stuff made just for the simple fact that theirs lots of history and character to it. The H&G mold is about mint but the cavity is perfect and the Ideal is around 99+ shape and dont think these were ever used and forgotten about for a looooong time. I bought a big lot from the seller and its all real nice old stuff including Hollywood press, Powder measure, Swaging dies, 310 hand tools, etc, etc. I am trying to get a friend to do some pics for me because I would love to share what I got with everyone to get some comments on certain things I dont even know what they are and have never seen some of these things before. Thanks again and hopefully you will see a pic of the lot sometime soon.