PDA

View Full Version : Remington Shur Shot 2 inch ammo

Doubletap
07-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Hey Guys! Anybody know anything about the Remington Shur Shot 2" cartridges? What vintage, pre war, post war? Buddy has a complete box and a partial, orginal boxes, and he's wondering what they are worth and their history. In 50 years of being a student of the gun I've never came across this before. Any info appreciated.

Outpost75
07-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Are these .410s or?

Doubletap
07-07-2019, 07:39 PM
My bad, I should have mentioned they are 12 bore, 7 1/2 shot, I saw no mention of shot weight on the boxes. Could be 7/8 oz? More curious as to the vintage. The are in a two piece box, info on the top that slips over the bottom half. Never knew American companies made 2" shells, always thought they were a British thing.

Outpost75
07-08-2019, 10:37 AM
2-1/2 drams of black powder, or smokeless equivalent with 7/8 oz. shot in 2" shell was standard British loading, equivalent to a US 20-ga. load.

Remington-UMC probably pre-WW1, possibly made for export. Any indication whether they are smokless powder? such as a 2-1/2 dr. eq. box marking ("drams equivalent"). Kleanbore trademark for noncorrosive priming displayed on box with the "dogbone" profile logo came out in 1920s. Earlier chlorate primers usually had copper cups with 'U' stamped on them. Expected these are a longitudinally grooved, green waxed paper Reifenhauser type with formed paper base wad on a sheet brass or copper plated steel head.

A picture would be wonderful if you can manage.