PDA

View Full Version : Martini-Henry rifle

abunaitoo
07-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Anyone know who might still have them for sale.
Looking for a cheap one. Unrestored.
Should have gotten one when there were lots around.

Kraschenbirn
07-07-2019, 10:33 AM
There are still some around. Two week-ends back, I saw a fairly nice commercial Peabody-Martini at a gunshow in Mauston, WI...asking price: $3800.

Will

mac60
07-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Anyone know who might still have them for sale.
Looking for a cheap one. Unrestored.
Should have gotten one when there were lots around.

It's all dependent on your definition of "cheap". When the Nepal cache was first brought back prices were a little lower than they are now. Atlanta Cutlery doesn't have MH's anymore - they've all been returned to IMA. They still show a very few variants as in stock.

https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/untouched-antique-guns/#listpage

CrystalShip
07-07-2019, 12:13 PM
It is a case of the old gun buyers Remorse. Nothing Gets Cheaper. Purchased all mine when they First Hit. all untouched . Cheaper by the dozen
. it is the old Shouds, Cudda, Wooda
Good luck in Your search

abunaitoo
07-08-2019, 06:37 AM
I was hoping there were still some "untouched" ones around.
Really should have gotten one when they first came out.
With the Lee die set at a reasonable price, it's worth it to shoot.
That and I've always wanted to try and form those cases.
Maybe I should just get the dies and a bunch the shotgun cases, and just hope a rifle comes along.
Kind of like the carrige before the horse.

john.k
07-10-2019, 01:33 AM
Are you sure it isnt made by Kabul Arsenal........these are good rifles,and worth a premium over English made guns........most from A' stan have the Kabul markings ground off and fake Enfield marks ........stupid ,but they dont know........Were not talking KP guns,the Kabul guns are factory made ,and the arsenal survived until the early 1990s ,when it was blown up by insurgents.

Boerrancher
07-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Are you sure it isnt made by Kabul Arsenal........these are good rifles,and worth a premium over English made guns........most from A' stan have the Kabul markings ground off and fake Enfield marks ........stupid ,but they dont know........Were not talking KP guns,the Kabul guns are factory made ,and the arsenal survived until the early 1990s ,when it was blown up by insurgents.

Are you referring to the post I made earlier that has somehow vanished about my Martini Henry from Afghanistan? No nothing has been ground off on it. It is pristine, very well cared for. I will post some photos of it when I get back to the farm, if I can remember how to post photos. The last time I posted any photos was years ago when 45Nut still ran the place, and you had to use photo bucket. Since you also mentioned the KP copies, I will also post a photo of my KP Lee SMLE. The workmanship is outstanding right down to the fake elevation fine adjustment knob. The stock is inlaid with silver, ruby, and emerald. There is probably $50k+ worth of natural ruby and emerald in the stock, not counting the silver it is set in. The old girl shoots well too. The chamber isn’t perfect but it extracts well enough. The Martini shoots good also but about a foot to the right at 100 yds. Since the sights are completely fixed I figure it is just going to be a wall hanger for ever.

mac60
07-10-2019, 01:20 PM
I was hoping there were still some "untouched" ones around.
Really should have gotten one when they first came out.
With the Lee die set at a reasonable price, it's worth it to shoot.
That and I've always wanted to try and form those cases.
Maybe I should just get the dies and a bunch the shotgun cases, and just hope a rifle comes along.
Kind of like the carrige before the horse.

If you click on the link above you will see some "untouched" MH rifles. There are a few different variants, but they don't come cheap ($750.00). As mentioned above, the days of $250.00 MH "untouched" rifles are gone and they aren't coming back.

john.k
07-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Martini facts are simple........once upon a time yanks hated Martinis...for all sorts of reasons...and they were cheap.....now they dont ...and they are dear........But ,have you looked at the price of an old $10 barn find Indian Scout?.......$10,000?.....if you are quick.