PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My Custom Blackhawk Back From Clement

.45Cole
07-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Figured I'd show off my custom 7 1/2" blackhawk in .45 Colt from Clement and engraved by my cousin, started off as pawn shop bisley in .44. I wanted the cylinders numbered in bankscript so I always knew where I was, and I don't think I've ever seen it done before. My cousin is a master engraver of high end instruments and was thinking about engraving guns, so we gave it a try. The case hardening was by Bowen, Clement gave the trigger and pins a bright blue finish, but it's not showing up in the pic. I'd like to get a lighter horn grip set, maybe ram's horn or giraffe bone.

my cousin's favorite piece of engraving

My favorite piece of engraving

Seriously counter-bored muzzle! It's even bigger in real life, I really like it.

LUBEDUDE
07-06-2019, 12:14 PM
That’s one gorgeous piece to be proud of.

Thanks for sharing.

Bookworm
07-06-2019, 12:26 PM
If I had sent one of my Blackhawks to Clements back when I first thought "man, I don't want to wait that long", I'd have it by now.:cry:

Good looking revolver, I especially like the numbered cylinder. Next comes the banded barrel.

Let us know how it shoots.

jmort
07-06-2019, 12:28 PM
That is a beautiful master-work of single action firearms

Rick Hodges
07-06-2019, 12:34 PM
I usually don't care for engraved guns....usually. Yours is gorgeous, nice clean understated engraving that enhances the appearance rather than overwhelm the lines of the gun. Very nice work and a beautiful gun. I like the idea of lighter grips, Ivory ?????

stubshaft
07-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Great looking pistol.

Wheelguns 1961
07-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on an awesome revolver! With Dave Clements doing the work, it will shoot as good as it looks.

Messy bear
07-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Slick gun! Did he sleeve a stock barrel or is it a blank?

.45Cole
07-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think it's really beautiful as well. I don't see things like this so it's nice to think it is original.

If I had sent one of my Blackhawks to Clements back when I first thought "man, I don't want to wait that long", I'd have it by now.:cry:

The first pistol I sent in was when I started a secon bachelors degree, got it back when I finished. This one took 4yrs, but a year was due to me. Clement now takes your order and money down and you have a spot in queue, then later asks for your gun - only a few months without the gun.

I usually don't care for engraved guns....usually. Yours is gorgeous, nice clean understated engraving that enhances the appearance rather than overwhelm the lines of the gun. Very nice work and a beautiful gun. I like the idea of lighter grips, Ivory ?????

I don't like the modern scroll work either. Clement had the cylinder frame "the official gun" so without a big expense I did the barrel, grip frame, and cylinder as they aren't considered "gun". I like the nook-and-corner engraving we did, you have to look for it and some of it is pretty small, but very appealing. When I got it from my cousin it was like christmas looking over it for all the little things he did. My father was trying to wipe a "blemish" from trigger guard before he saw it was a little star. I like ivory - but not the expense, yellowing, and probably the social condemnation. Ram's horn has some dark streaks that help blend the white with the colors of the gun. I did that with the other hardchromed clement - waterbuffalo horn with silver streaks in the black help blend the colors.

Slick gun! Did he sleeve a stock barrel or is it a blank?

They are custom barrels, I think he makes these but I'm not sure. The end of the barrel has a very tasteful reversed bullnose I really like. The huge counter-bore helps take some weight of the very end. He makes a really cool octagon barrel too, I have that on my 5" hardchromed bisley.

onelight
07-06-2019, 03:48 PM
That is a beautiful classy lookin gun !

boatswainsmate
07-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Nice!

RED BEAR
07-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Thats one nice gun. Enjoy

Arkansas Paul
07-06-2019, 08:55 PM
I'd like to get a lighter horn grip set, maybe ram's horn or giraffe bone.

First of all, that is a gorgeous revolver friend.
You should be proud of it.

And yes, a gun like that deserves the best grips you can put on it.
I suggest Rob Rowen. You'll drop some cash, no doubt, but my God his work is 2nd to none.

https://www.rowencustomgrips.com/page3.html

osteodoc08
07-07-2019, 03:06 AM
Dave’s done some excellent work for me in the past as well. He has another with him now to be a stable mate for me tonoass down to my youngest 2 boys. He’s also picking up a few Marlin 1894 here and there as well.

Ramjet-SS
07-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Really nice makes a guy feel great to own I bet.

.45Cole
07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Thank you guys all for the compliments! It's fun working on a shooter, but also nice to add some touches to show off a little.

First of all, that is a gorgeous revolver friend.
You should be proud of it.

And yes, a gun like that deserves the best grips you can put on it.
I suggest Rob Rowen. You'll drop some cash, no doubt, but my God his work is 2nd to none.

Thanks for the compliment! I looked at his website and they do look great. I used a guy outside of Cheyenne named Grashorn Grips for my other Bisley water buffalo grips, he custom shaped them for me for ~150 IIRC. I was going to look for material and then see what Grashorn says.

super6
07-07-2019, 01:19 PM
I think the heat treat along with the under whelming scroll art are a combination that can not be under stated, Simple, Gorgious.

Arkansas Paul
07-07-2019, 08:41 PM
I used a guy outside of Cheyenne named Grashorn Grips for my other Bisley water buffalo grips, he custom shaped them for me for ~150 IIRC. I was going to look for material and then see what Grashorn says.

Pat Grashorn makes beautiful stag grips at a good price.
I wasn't aware that he worked with other materials, but I can't think of why he wouldn't.

.45Cole
07-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Pat Grashorn makes beautiful stag grips at a good price.
I wasn't aware that he worked with other materials, but I can't think of why he wouldn't.

I talked to him about it and he said "sure, but buffalo for a bisley is hard to find" I put it on the back burner and about 1.5-2 yrs later he called and said he had what he needed if I was interested. I was interested.