PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

technetium-99m
10-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey guys!

I tried looking through the old threads but I think I just confused myself. What is the best way to lube massive amounts of pistol bullets (1000-2000 at a time)?

I was thinking a Lee push through sizer would be the quicker way to size them, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me on that too.

Bullets will be used for IPSC at ranges from 3-30 yards.

GT

docone31
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Get a large pan, and Push em through a Lee Push Thru.
I lube all my castings at one time. I size with Lee Push Thru.
Pretty danged quick.

technetium-99m
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
You're talking about pan lubing right?

If that's the case, I have read about it but am having trouble seeing it.

I place the bullets nose up in a container and pour molten lube in until the grooves are covered and then remove em right?

GT

docone31
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Essentially,
You make the lube, melt it. Place the castings in a tray nose up. Put the tray in the oven on a real low setting. You want the castings and lube close in temperature. Pour the lube. Shut off the oven and let it cool down. Remove the tray and turn it upside down over a towel.
When the cake gets loose, tap the pan and the cake falls. Push the boolitts base first through the lube cake onto a towel. Push them through a Lee Push Thru Sizer.
The few boolitts that are missing lube in spots, the excess lube on the entry into the sizer can be wiped over the land.
Once you get the trick of lubing down pat, I find it very fast. I can cast and lube enough for a couple of months at at time.

bruce drake
10-27-2008, 07:01 PM
1. Get a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox (LLA).
2. Get a Gallon Zip-Lock Bag and put in about a hundred bullets or so in the bag.
3. Squeeze a good amount of LLA into the bag and seal it up.
4. Tumble the bag around in your hands until the lube is evenly distributed over the bags contents of bullets.
5. Spread the lubed bullets onto some wax paper to dry overnight.
6. Repeat the process until all the bullets are coated.
7. Size them in a Lee Push-Through Die and you are ready to load them.

Easier than panlubing and the LLA will work just fine for the distances you are thinking of shooting at.

If you were considering accuracy work than there are multiple lube recipes to experiment with as well as custom production cast boolits to work with. Stay on the forum and you'll learn alot.

Good shooting!

Bruce

JDFuchs
10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I would think a liquid alox method of sorts like Drake said. Or a star sizer. Ive never seen anything but a Utube video of a star sizer. But it seems to go by very quick when ajusted right. If you can find a load that is happy with out lube (lighter load with hard lead) then just stick them right through the lee sizer and be happy and mess free.

10-27-2008, 07:28 PM
get a star luber.

catkiller45
10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
bruce drake
Boolit Master

1. Get a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox (LLA).
2. Get a Gallon Zip-Lock Bag and put in about a hundred bullets or so in the bag.
3. Squeeze a good amount of LLA into the bag and seal it up.
4. Tumble the bag around in your hands until the lube is evenly distributed over the bags contents of bullets.
5. Spread the lubed bullets onto some wax paper to dry overnight.
6. Repeat the process until all the bullets are coated.
7. Size them in a Lee Push-Through Die and you are ready to load them.

Easier than panlubing and the LLA will work just fine for the distances you are thinking of shooting at.

If you were considering accuracy work than there are multiple lube recipes to experiment with as well as custom production cast boolits to work with. Stay on the forum and you'll learn alot.

Good shooting!

Bruce YEP LIKE BRUCE SAID...WORKS DAMN GOOD-I USED TO DO THE SAME IN MY HAND GUN DAYS..YOU CAN'T BEAT..JUST LET THEM (BULLETS) DRY OVER NIGHT AND DON'T CARRY THEM IN YOUR POCKET..LINT WILL STICK TO THEM....JOHN

runfiverun
10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
get a star.......

kooz
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
get a star.......

+1, I am very happy with mine

Boerrancher
10-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Or if you don't want to wait on a bottle of Liquid Alox, follow Bruce's suggestion but instead of Alox, go to the local hard ware store and pick up a can of Johnson's Paste Wax. JPW dries to a hard finish that doesn't clog up your seating die, or collect lint from your pocket.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

technetium-99m
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM
You guys are great!

Will try your suggestions out!

GT

buckbeans
10-28-2008, 05:59 AM
I just lubed with lla a hundred 38 wadcutters and ran them through the lee sizer.
Two questions...
Do I have to fill out the groove completely with liquid alox before sizing?Do I need to relube afte sizing as recommended by the factory ?
I shoot all the common handgun load, all usually at 1000fps or less. Idon't want to relube if not needed.
Thank in advance

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2008, 07:13 AM
ditto
get a star luber.

Larry Gibson
10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I've been using a Lyman 450 (actaully have two of them) for 40 years now. I've lubed thousands upon thousands of bullets with them including many thousands of pistol bullets (I was shooting about 2,000 per month) in my IPSC and police competition days. I never had a problem with them and have always thought they worked as well as the Star. I do use LLA, mostly on TL314-90-SWCs. Might have to try the Johnsons Wax trick.

Larry Gibson