PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a 50 cal flinter

GunnyJohn
07-05-2019, 08:06 PM
So I got this Miroku 50 cal left handed flintlock awhile back, and have found some time to play with it. I would like to develop a 100 yard deer load for it. I looked at the sticky of GOEX powders and saw that 50 grains of FFFg was a max loading. Do I need to look at going to FFg for a better hunting load, or is 50 grains of FFFg enough for what I am looking for? Thanks in advance Guys.

webfoot10
07-05-2019, 10:02 PM
50 grs is just the starting load. Don't know about the miroku but most 50 caliber
muzzleloaders use 70 to 80 grs fffg or ffg for their hunting loads. Any more is
just blowing out the barrel unburned. Start at 50 grs and work up till you find
what powder and grs work the best for you. I'd start with a .490 or .495 lead
ball and a tight lubed patch as a starter. Just have to play around till you hit
the right combination. Or try a .50 cal maxi bullet, depending on what you
plan on hunting. The round ball works well for deer up to 100yds.
webfoot10

varsity07840
07-06-2019, 05:13 PM
If you anticipate 100 yard shots, I would suggest that you spend a lot of time finding a load that groups well at THAT range and has as much energy as you can get. Then, practice a lot and know your trajectory. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't take a 100 yard shot at a deer over iron sights unless I had a rest and the deer was standing broadside. The margin for error with a .50 is pretty small, or should I say even smaller than for a bigger round ball. A poorly hit deer 100 yards away is going to be way ahead of you by the time you get out of your stand and reload. If you don't get a pass through, there could be little or no blood trail.