PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a burner

gregg877
10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Up til now, been casting out of a Lee 10lb production pot, with wheel weights and not doing too bad. However, last week I was able to get together with an old timer and cast up about 30lbs of 30:1 ingots, and around 175 boolits for my schuetzen rifle of the same. It was nice to get some firsthand instruction, specially where making schuetzen metal is concerned. However, I definately see that If I'm going to cast alloy other than wheel weights, I'm gonna have to change my setup.

So, my question is: Where can I get a decent portable propane burner, and not spend an arm and my first born?

Managed to scrounge up to honest to god 20lb cast iron lead pots, an old ideal dipper, and some pie tins so far, just need a burner.

Thanks, Gregg

45nut
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
If you have a harbor freight around, or a feed n farm that might have a weedburner,, that would work, most folks go for a turkey fryer unit though.

Shotgun Luckey
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
for smelting purposes (making ingot of casting alloy) a turkey fryer works really well. I added a heat/wind shield to mine to help speed up the melt and save propane. At this time of year, you may be able to find a turkey fryer on end of season clearence at Wally-World or some such store.

an old Coleman type camp stove would work if you have one