PDA

View Full Version : Loctite

nun2kute
07-05-2019, 05:49 PM
I got a bipod that comes loose when I shoot with it. It looks just like the Atlas but it's not.

The pic. rail attachment is nice and solid, but the big screw at the bottom that controls the swivel will loosen while I am trying to print groups. I'd like it to remain adjustable but firm.

I thought about Teflon tape, seems like would need to be renewed too often.
And then there is Loctite. Red is out of the question. I have Blue but that seems a little drastic, and I 'm not sure that would remain adjustable due to the location of the nut and the proximity of the legs. Do they make anything between Blue and ... Teflon ?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Maybe I could just put a drop on the threads of that screw and let that dry before re-assembly so it doesn't fuse the male and female threads together.

Ideas/Opinions appreciated.

Elroy
07-05-2019, 06:01 PM
If it can be completly removed try a split ring,or star type lock washer of the right size.

NyFirefighter357
07-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Try a nylon insert hex lock nut.

country gent
07-05-2019, 06:59 PM
A o ring under the knob may do the trick also. If you want to set and forget try enamel paint. Brush it in the thread and work knob to distribute it let cure

M-Tecs
07-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Loctite makes different grades of blue. 222 or 242 will do what you want.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-adhesives/threadlockers.html

Outpost75
07-05-2019, 10:32 PM
^^^^this^^^^

nun2kute
07-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Thanks Guys
I had no idea they made different grades of Blue.

DCM
07-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Blue 242 is removable with simple tools, red and green require special attention and Patience.

Other good suggestions above also!

EO1
07-07-2019, 12:43 AM
Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap nail polish.

nun2kute
07-14-2019, 04:25 PM
The rubber O ring sounds like a winner to me, but I haven't found one yet. I did apply a drop to the male threads and let that dry before re-installation. That seems to have taken care of my issue after one shoot just to try it out.

Speedo66
07-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Purple Loctite is for small screws.

KenT7021
07-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Look for VC3 thread locker.It's available from Amazon.Works like a self locking screw or nut.

mullthing
07-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Purple Loctite should work well.

EDG
07-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Loctite 222 (cloudy blue) is a mild thread locker. Being anerobic lockers the loctite will not set up in the presence of air. It will only set up in the crevice of threads or a press fit where there is no air.
When loctite is left out in the open it will remain a liquid just about forever.

Loctite is not what you want for tight running fit. You need better threads or a nut with a nylon locking feature. However a nut with a nylon locking feature requires a wrench to turn.

If you want tight groups get a Robert W. Hart heavy varmint rest. Much of the benchrest world was using those long before tripods became the in thing.

I got a bipod that comes loose when I shoot with it. It looks just like the Atlas but it's not.

The pic. rail attachment is nice and solid, but the big screw at the bottom that controls the swivel will loosen while I am trying to print groups. I'd like it to remain adjustable but firm.

I thought about Teflon tape, seems like would need to be renewed too often.
And then there is Loctite. Red is out of the question. I have Blue but that seems a little drastic, and I 'm not sure that would remain adjustable due to the location of the nut and the proximity of the legs. Do they make anything between Blue and ... Teflon ?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Maybe I could just put a drop on the threads of that screw and let that dry before re-assembly so it doesn't fuse the male and female threads together.

Ideas/Opinions appreciated.