PDA

View Full Version : Hardness of stick on WW's vs. clip ons???

mikenbarb
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
It seems that the stick on wheel weights are a softer alloy than the ones with clips. Does anyone know if theirs a difference in the two? Thanks in advance, Mike

cajun shooter
10-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Mike, The stick on ww's are pure soft lead. The regular ww's are an alloy of around 10BHN in my area of the country. I always separate the two so that my mix stays about the same each time. I keep the stick on and when I have enough mix them to a higher BHN. Or if you shoot BP use them straight. By the way your package is in the mail. Take Care

Shotgun Luckey
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Stick-on are usually pretty close to pure lead.....I also set them aside

mikenbarb
10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks and thats good to know because I just picked up 3-5gal. pails of wheel weights today with alot of stick ons in them.:-D Im gonna use them for my Lee slugs and BP boolits.

TomT
10-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Though most of the stick-on WWs are nearly pure lead, a few are alloyed and melt at a significantly lower temperature. A few are marked Fe and can be separated by a magnet before being put in the pot. Would also think the alloyed stick-ons would also be harder, but I have never tested them.

If you desire to separate alloyed and pure lead weights, consider keeping your melt just barely hot enough to liquify the alloyed clip on weights. The alloyed stick-ons will also melt, but the purer lead will sink to the bottom. Scoop the pure lead weights off the bottom of the melt. The "pure" lead harvested should be at least as pure as that from lead sheet metal, well over 99%.

Lead melts at 621F, WW alloys melt under 600F - not much difference. It may not be worth the extra effort keep your pure lead stock just a percent or two purer.

John Boy
10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Stick On Wheel Weights:
Composition: 0.377% Sb, 1.45% Sn, 0.029% As, 98.144 Pb

Garden Variety Clamp-on Weights
Composition: 2.96% Sb, 0.41% Sn, 0.174% As, 96.456 Pb

The number of times I've answered this question ... believe it is time to make it a Sticky![smilie=1:

mikenbarb
10-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I have also noticed that theirs some flat screw on type that seem to be pot metal or something like it. Anyone know what these are and if their tin by chance?