PDA

View Full Version : The complete list of Hensley & Gibbs Bullet Molds

Texasflyboy
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
After years of effort, and with the invaluable contribution recently by Wayne Gibbs, I have all of the required information to publish a complete list of the vast majority of Hensley & Gibbs Bullet molds that were manufactured from 1933 to 1999. The numerical list starts with #1 and ends with #938, and mold numbering does have gaps.

I have paper records, including Wayne's recently compiled factory records that he just sent me via snail mail. I will be transferring the data to my access database and will publish a new website showing the information, hopefully by summer's end.

As always, photos of the H&G molds that you own are always appreciated for the website.

Texasflyboy
June 2005

My Hensley & Gibbs Bullet Mold Reference Page (http://www.hensleygibbs.com/)

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 09:02 PM
............Wow, lottsa work there. That's neat information and it looks as if you're doing a fine job. Great resource.

.............Buckshot

LAH
07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Thank you Sir for the time & effort.

rugerman1
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/41.gif Nice job!

Col-Freckels
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm looking for information on H&G .45 Cal 4 or 6 cavity mould #68. Also a .45 cal 185gr SWC 4 or 6 cavity mould. I am a Bullseye shooter and would like to get into casting my own bullets. Any information would be appreciated. I live in Sherwood ,Oregon.

Texasflyboy
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Any information would be appreciated. I live in Sherwood ,Oregon.

What do you want to know? Hensley & Gibbs closed their doors in 1999. They are long gone.

Where to get the moulds? The answer is eBay.

#68's and #130's (the 185gr. SWC you inquired about) are two of the most popular and frequently appearing moulds on eBay, albeit in 4 cavity. Based on my research, there are at least 10 4 cavity moulds out there for each 6 cavity or larger for #68 and #130. The largest size in .45 caliber would be an 8 cavity mould and in #68 and #130 they can be hard to find.

Based on recent activity on the auction sites, I would estimate the value of 4 cavity moulds at:

#68 - $200
#130 - $150 - $175.00

Six cavities in the same styles would be $250 on up.

Based on hard evidence, Hensley and Gibbs moulds are appreciating in value by more than 10% + yearly, especially some of the more popular mould styles.

Tom in NC

sagamore-one
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Guy
Are there any moulds in particular that you need pics for ?

TexRebel
01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
The largest size in .45 caliber would be an 8 cavity mould and in #68 and #130 they can be hard to find.

I guess I am lucky http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/IMG_0430.jpg

Ron B.
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey TexasFlyBoy!
Thanks for the trouble of gathering all the info. But!
Just so you will know, I tried opening the link to the H&G mould info. It would not work?

If anyone has any H&G moulds for sale, contacting me may be an easy deal. Please send photos and descriptions to ---

bummerdudestar@hotmail.com

Thanks!
GRB

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
GoldenRoyBoy,

The link in post #1 does not work.
The link in post #6 does work.
http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

Roger

wiljen
02-06-2009, 04:12 PM
GoldenRoyBoy,

The link in post #1 does not work.
The link in post #6 does work.
http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

Roger

Fixed that - now either works

Ron B.
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Hello Roger & Wiljen!
Thanks for the trouble; that chart is awesome! I'll be doing some reading for sure!
You know a little knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous; right? Lol!

GRB

Crooked Creek
02-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Wow, what a site and information ! I'll add my thanks too for all your effort Tom.
I have two 4-cavity #50's, with handles, in excellent condition, that I will no longer "take for granted". Mine are marked as follows:
#1) Above the handle: 50 .3555 ;
Below the handle:
HENSLEY & GIBBS
MURPHY, OREGON

#2) Above the handle: 50 .356 ;
Below the handle:
HENSLEY & GIBBS
SAN DI GO, CAL (That is not a typo, the 'E' is missing in SAN DIEGO, at
least I cannot see evidence of any strike impression when viewed through a
10X eye loupe).

There are no markings on either of the handles.
From what I have read here and on Tom's site, it would seem that I am fortunate to have these molds and should take particularly good care of them while in my "STEWARTSHIP".
Thanks again for all the effort and info,
Roger Allen

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Very interesting site; thanks for all the work you did on it!

My Dad left a couple of Geo. A. Hensley molds to me. One is marked:
45 454 240 (stamped just above where the handle attaches to the mold on R side)
GEO A. HENSLEY
SAN DIEGO
(stamped just below where the handle attaches to the mold on R side)
According to your site info, it was made September 4, 1940.
It's a single mold, .45 caliber 240 grain Keith-type design.

The other mold is a 6-position mold that casts .38 wadcutters. For some stupid reason I didn't pick it up when I was over there last month. Must've been all the other things I had to put my paws on.

Texasflyboy
08-08-2009, 03:28 AM
According to your site info, it was made September 9, 1940.

Only if you have the very first one made. The dates in the chart next to the mould designs refer to the first date the cherry for that design was first cut, not when a particular mould was made. I can only narrow down production dates on early moulds to decades, unless there is something that points out a particular time period. Later moulds are a bit easier to narrow down production dates, especially if the invoice is still in the owners hands.

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Only if you have the very first one made. The dates in the chart next to the mould designs refer to the first date the cherry for that design was first cut, not when a particular mould was made. I can only narrow down production dates on early moulds to decades, unless there is something that points out a particular time period. Later moulds are a bit easier to narrow down production dates, especially if the invoice is still in the owners hands.

OK, that makes perfect sense. However, since the cherry date is known, and the mold block is stamped "GEO. A. HENSLEY", wouldn't that tend to narrow the production date down to between September 4, 1940, and whenever they started being stamped "HENSLEY & GIBBS" in 1941, when James Gibbs became a partner?

[eta] Just noticed that I'd typoed the date; should have been September 4, 1940; corrected.

mtgrs737
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I have two H&G moulds, a #130 4 cavity and a six cavity that throws a TC 230gr 45 cal. boolit. I paid $75 for the 130 and around $250 for the six cavity. They both cast better than any other mould I own but the six cavity is very heavy even for me and I have large strong wrists. I wish I could find a few more bullet styles reasonable, I would buy them!

moses
09-02-2009, 04:34 AM
A friend of mine just let me borrow a H&G mold
It is marked .454 #130 and San diego CA
It casts a non bevel based 200 gr SWC. So I guess they made the #130 in 200 grs and 185 gr moulds?
It really puts out some pretty boolits BTW!

thanks for all the work you did on this!

R.M.
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
The 130 is listed at 185 grain, but when cast from lino. They're more like 200 from WW

R.M.
05-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Sorry, double post.

HH928
02-13-2018, 12:12 AM
This is a great thread discussion. I've learned very much. Keith molds are wonderfully made. It's a part of history. But a very useful one.

HH928
02-13-2018, 12:15 AM
Compared to some handles, I first thought the H&G handles were not as well made...BUT, they are much more comfortable to use than others I've used. Very well thought out and engineered pieces of great machining.

woodbutcher
02-13-2018, 11:56 PM
:D Outstanding web site sir.Thank you for taking the time and trouble to build it.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

vernm
02-14-2018, 12:53 AM
Hey TexasFlyBoy!
Thanks for the trouble of gathering all the info. But!
Just so you will know, I tried opening the link to the H&G mould info. It would not work?

If anyone has any H&G moulds for sale, contacting me may be an easy deal. Please send photos and descriptions to ---

bummerdudestar@hotmail.com

Thanks!
GRB

Ron B

Your email doesn't work. Please check your messages

Vern Mann