PDA

View Full Version : How can I resize a. 32 S&W to a. 32 Rimfire?

Kev18
07-02-2019, 12:34 PM
I just need to resize the brass alittle. I bought a bag of 32 Smith and wesson brass. It's. 330 in diameter, but i would need. 316 for my. 32rf. Can I make something homemade to just size it down? I know some people use. 32 colt to make brass but i couldnt buy any of those.

Guesser
07-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Have you tried a 32 Auto sizing die, the one I use for 32 Auto sizes smaller than my 32 Long die; but I don't know how much, not at home right now to try.

RED BEAR
07-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Yes you can make one. I would think you would need a drill press a vice and an indicator. Start with a 7/8-14 bolt . Place bolt in vice and center in drill press. Start with smaller hole then finish with a 5/16 drill ( .3125 ) or a 8 mm (.3149 ). Then i would use a split dowel and somJe wet dry paper with a little oil. I feel you could use the shank on the 8 mm drill to kinda gauge your size. Or try sizing and see how it fits in cylinder. It may sound like a lot but its really not. If you don't have an indicator you can use a set of calipers set at 1/2 dia of bolt and scribe several lines across face of bolt and drill at intersection .I
Now if you know someone with access to machinery a six pack of beer or soda and a bit of friendly talk might get it done.

Kev18
07-02-2019, 07:56 PM
You should see the contraption I made. I drilled holes in a thick steel plate and bevelled the mouths so that the case slips in easy. Then I punch it out. It sizes down well but they still have a hair of tension in the chamber. Just enough that the extractor doesn't pull them out.
What can I use to hold the case to spin the rim on sandpaper?

RED BEAR
07-02-2019, 09:30 PM
You might try a wooden dowel with a little tape around it so you get a snug fit on case.if you don't push to hard with sand paper it shouldn't slip.

Kev18
07-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Thanks il give it a try! :)

Kev18
07-03-2019, 01:41 AM
I made some brass, but now my issue is that I bored out the hole for the .22 primer. But it needs to be offset... So how do I fill in the original primer hole to drill the hole off-center? I have a mig welder but no silicone-bronze wire for brass.... Would something else work?

1hole
07-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Can we make rimfire cases out of centerfire cases? NO.

mdi
07-04-2019, 03:19 PM
I read an article long ago about converting a centerfire to a rimfire case. First fill the existing primer pocket with solder(silver solder?) and then drill a new hole for a primer. The article used a 209 shotgun primer, so no need to drill a hole with a square bottom for the primer to seat on. The main problem with the conversion was each round had to be "clocked" so the primer is under the firing pin...

I don't have all the particulars, but the process wasn't all that difficult, just time consuming. Not sure about the dimensions as the article was for converting to 44 rimfire. For me I would have to really like an obsolete gun (some personal "connection" ) to go through all that just to fire it...

jaguarxk120
07-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Yes you can. As said fill the primer pocket with silver solder. Then drill a 22 caliber hole off center with a countersink.
The off center hole will take the case from a BB Cap, CB Cap, or blank 22. Those become the primer
for the case.
When the shooter loads the gun the "Case" is indexed so the rimfire firing pin will
hit the 22 "primer". It Works.

Kev18
07-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Yes... Alot of people have done it:razz:

country gent
07-04-2019, 06:38 PM
I would be concerned with heat from welding or soldering softening the case heads. depending on size a small plug turned up to press in original primer pocket with a little Loctite might work. then drill the new primer hole off center. I would need to do some measuring to be sure here.

Clocking rounds in a revolver isn't an issue as long as you know where the hit is. But it may be a narrow window for a good strike. Fixtures for making drilling the brass would be a plus also.

Three44s
07-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Is there a percentage in converting the revolver to centerfire?

Three44s

RED BEAR
07-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Seems to me i saw these cases for sale somewhere already made. Not sure if this will work with your gun but could you convert the hammer for center fire?

Kev18
07-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Is there a percentage in converting the revolver to centerfire?

Three44s

Well its a rifle. A little stevens. Its an easy job, if you have the tools... I dont have any mills or lathes.

Kev18
07-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Seems to me i saw these cases for sale somewhere already made. Not sure if this will work with your gun but could you convert the hammer for center fire?

Dixie gun works makes them. Or made. They have been out of stock for awhile sadly.

cwtebay
07-05-2019, 07:36 AM
I just need to resize the brass alittle. I bought a bag of 32 Smith and wesson brass. It's. 330 in diameter, but i would need. 316 for my. 32rf. Can I make something homemade to just size it down? I know some people use. 32 colt to make brass but i couldnt buy any of those.There's a YouTube video on making it from 32 short brass. I've used the Dixie Gun Works set. Yes, it works - but incredibly dirty (even by black powder standards!) from a no. 3 Smith and Wesson and a Remington #5 falling block.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jaguarxk120
07-05-2019, 08:47 AM
I would be concerned with heat from welding or soldering softening the case heads. depending on size a small plug turned up to press in original primer pocket with a little Loctite might work. then drill the new primer hole off center. I would need to do some measuring to be sure here.

Clocking rounds in a revolver isn't an issue as long as you know where the hit is. But it may be a narrow window for a good strike. Fixtures for making drilling the brass would be a plus also.

You must remember that the 32 rim fire round is a low pressure cartridge. Originally made from copper, the brass
case is stronger than the copper even after heating with a torch.

Blanket
07-05-2019, 09:27 AM
for sizing odd straight wall cases I use carbide drill bushings

Blanket
07-05-2019, 09:28 AM
for sizing odd straight wall cases I use carbide drill bushings also steel ones with lube

RED BEAR
07-05-2019, 11:20 AM
I saw a web sight while back that did the conversation . Memory ain't what it used to be not sure where i saw it. Ever since i quit working i am in the same boat as far as a lathe and mill. Would love to have a small shop one day. Is another hammer available for less than a fortune? If so i might give converting one by hand a go.

cwtebay
07-05-2019, 12:03 PM
I saw a web sight while back that did the conversation . Memory ain't what it used to be not sure where i saw it. Ever since i quit working i am in the same boat as far as a lathe and mill. Would love to have a small shop one day. Is another hammer available for less than a fortune? If so i might give converting one by hand a go.Larry Pottersfield did a video of the process with a Remington #1 rolling block, you can see it on Midway's website or YouTube. Not a difficult conversion except for drilling the angle of the firing pin path through the block. I made a garage sale special 25 RF into a 32 Smith and Wesson fun project!

Kev18
07-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Larry Pottersfield did a video of the process with a Remington #1 rolling block, you can see it on Midway's website or YouTube. Not a difficult conversion except for drilling the angle of the firing pin path through the block. I made a garage sale special 25 RF into a 32 Smith and Wesson fun project!

Was it hard?

cwtebay
07-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Was it hard?No, I bought a reamer and had a gunsmith redo the barrel. Then removed the firing pin, filled the hole with a TIG welder, then couldn't wrap my head around getting the firing pin to strike center without too much angle so it wouldn't bind. Finally made a wood make-up and got it right before doing it on the actual block.

RED BEAR
07-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Was it hard?
Check out midway for the video on how to convert yours.

clodhopper
07-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Some .32 caliber rifles had a firing pin that could be used for both rimfire and center fire.
You just needed to pull the pin out and turn it over to convert.

Drm50
07-05-2019, 11:29 PM
You should see the contraption I made. I drilled holes in a thick steel plate and bevelled the mouths so that the case slips in easy. Then I punch it out. It sizes down well but they still have a hair of tension in the chamber. Just enough that the extractor doesn't pull them out.
What can I use to hold the case to spin the rim on sandpaper?

I have turned rims buy using short piece of dowel sized to fit ID of case. Dowel is used as insert in case so you can chuck it up and jaw pressure doesn't collapse case. Seating a bullet will often be sufficient if you are willing to pull bullet after case rim is reduced. I used dowel method to reduce thickness of 38 super rims from front surface to make 9mm Bergman & Largo.

Chev. William
07-06-2019, 01:08 PM
There is a thread on this (Castboolits) Forum that deals with reloading .32 RF and forming S&W cases down in diameter to .32 Colt diameter for use.
It also gives ways to make cases into RF Blank adapters that will work in various rifles and handguns.

Chev. William

quail4jake
07-06-2019, 11:15 PM
.32 S&W cases are significantly larger diameter than .32 RF. Try .32 Colt (long or short) since they are the diameter of a .32 RF...with the taper heeled bullet to boot! If this is a real fine Stevens I would ask a really great gunsmith (like Sam at Turnbull) to convert the block to center fire, which will now make your rifle .32 Colt. Not the bargain basement solution but with proper soft bullet, lube, load and, oh by the way, a nice crown might just be a tackdriver! Good luck!

Kev18
07-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Where is the thread about. 32rf? I didn't find it. Im not sure how if the Stevens is worth anything... I paid it 100$ atleast 5 years ago.

Chev. William
07-08-2019, 05:05 PM
"reloadable .32 rimfire brass"

It is a Long read but contians a LOT of information on .32 RF replacements including making .32 S&W Family cases into .32 Colt family casess and .32 RF cases, from .32 Extra Short RF to .32 Extra Long RF and equivalent CF cases and Adapter cases, along wiht various loads and RF Blank use.

Chev. William