PDA

View Full Version : 44-40: Factory crimp or taper crimp?

Stopsign32v
07-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Which one do you guys suggest and why? I use factory crimp on all my 45 Colt but don't know if that is the route to go with the more fragile 44-40. I have the option of either Lee taper crimp with the seating die or I also have a factory one. I've never loaded 44-40 yet but will be today.

Outpost75
07-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Best is Redding Profile Crimp Die.

If you have a modern .44-40 having a barrel of .44 Magnum bore and groove dimensions you will need to use .430" bullets rather than .427-.428 as is often recommended for the "older" guns. However original barrels may also run large, I have seen original 1873 Winchesters with groove diameters as large as .435".

The Lee Factory crimp die will reduce bullet diameter inside the case to .428-.429 depending upon brass used.

A taper crimp is adequate for black powder use to remove mouth flare, but often will not secure the bullet sufficiently in the case to resist compression of a rifle's tubular magazine spring from telescoping the bullet deeper, unless you are using a compressed case full of either black powder or RL7 smokeless which provide the necessary base support to the bullet to keep this from happening.

The Redding die will profile the loaded rounds to eliminate any bulges and depending upon how it is adjusted (Here is where ot pays to read the directions) can produce either a taper crimp, or a well-formed heavy roll crimp. The Redding does a MUCH better job than the Lee! Worth its extra cost. I use these for all of my revolver loads in .32 S&W Long, .38 Special/.357, .44 Magnum, .44-40 and .45 Colt.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012356269/redding-profile-crimp-die

Walks
07-01-2019, 03:29 PM
I used a 60yr old set of Lyman Dies to reload .44WCF.
It sizes the case down a bit more then the more Modern Die sets I have; RCBS-1975, RCBS-1987, Hornady-2005.
None of these more modern dies sets will size the brass down far enough to go into the Chambers of my First Gen Colt SAA.

The seating die from that old Lyman set also delivers a roll crimp that is better then any of the Modern Die sets.
More Forgiving is the only way I can explain it. It's like the case is slightly Taper Crimped at the same time.
For some reason Win & Rem brass work best. Probably because It's properly annealed, unlike starline. Which is too thick and too hard.

The Lee FCD in .44WCF is a piece of junk, it either doesn't touch the brass or even on Minimum Length Cases will buckle the cases and swage down the bullet.
The old die set will crimp the Lyman #42798 & RCBS #40-180-FN, so they will go into a Uberti 1873 mag tube (14rds) without the bullet being pushed back into the case. Or jumping forward in a Revolver.

I'd buy a Taper Crimp Die if I didn't have the old Lyman die set.

And I've tried every crimp die including the Redding Profile Crimp Die and the RCBS Cowboy die set.
Neither works as well. Which is way I sold them.

I'm even able to seat & crimp together on my Hornady Progressive.

But I prefer to single stage .44WCF, now that I'm no longer Cowboy Shooting. Enjoy the HandLoading more then the reloading.

indian joe
07-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Which one do you guys suggest and why? I use factory crimp on all my 45 Colt but don't know if that is the route to go with the more fragile 44-40. I have the option of either Lee taper crimp with the seating die or I also have a factory one. I've never loaded 44-40 yet but will be today.

The main trick with these thin cases I reckon is to use your finger tips on the press handle - you can feel whats happening if you pay attention - I load mixed brand brass and I never trimmed a 44/40 case for length in my life - rarely bulge a case with crimping ......RCBS loading dies maybe thirty years old. Take your time !!!

bigted
07-01-2019, 07:48 PM
I use the Lee fcd with great success. I also have the Lee 3 die loading set and if I seat the boolit first with no crimp ... then crimp in a operation of its own ... I have great success also. My round is 38-40

DrDucati
07-01-2019, 09:46 PM
+1 44wcf Lee fcd no issues. For me, less bulge than with seater die roll crimp.

Randy Bohannon
07-02-2019, 05:03 AM
I have no experience using smokeless powder in the 44WCF, B/P the risk of “telescoping” a soft bullet sitting on compressed b/p powder charge of 35 grain or more is nil or non existent,it will not move.You will distort the bullet and it will not chamber in a lever rifle before it “telescopes”, I use a very light setting with a Redding Profile Crimp,just enough to keep the bullet from coming out. The targets say I’m on the right track.