PDA

View Full Version : Load Data Worth It?

jonp
06-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Anyone use Load Data and is it worth the money? I've been thinking of getting it as I'm using a couple of calibers and bullet weights that have little to no data

foesgth
06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
They have many loads listed. However they are loads members have submitted. You really don't know the testing behind them. I think you can do as well with a Google search.

skeettx
06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
Watching, I do not use it but am interested in the opinions

RED BEAR
06-29-2019, 08:29 PM
I do not use others loads period.
Every gun is different and must have its own load worked up. I personally learned this lesson had loads i worked up for a cz50 worked great no signs of pressure. Went to range with a new keltec 32 and just took some ammo i already had loaded ( for cz50 ). Fired off two clips went to pick up brass and all had a big bulge near base. Went home and started at low end and worked up loads for this gun. Every thing's great now. It just taught me a lesson always start at bottom or at least near it and work up.
If you have to work up loads for your gun what good would someone use someone's loads.

Greg S
06-29-2019, 08:42 PM
I've subscribed to load data a few times. It is basically a consolidated manufacturers data pool (Hordanny, Sierra and Speer) along with data from the hanloader articles. If you've occassionally periodically updated your manuals from the various manufacturers and collected handloader magazines, it is basically redundant.

jmort
06-29-2019, 09:08 PM
I really like it. Long time subscriber
All the Handloader data
Pet Loads
And on and on
You can get a subscription and copy all the data you need and move on
There is data in there that would be a chore or harder to get.
I would try it for a year

GhostHawk
06-29-2019, 09:37 PM
I agree with post #2, google is your friend.

I will add to that, when looking at a particular powder for a particular cartridge I prefer to start with the makers data. Then anything listed here, I'll assemble 2 - 10 recipes for roughly the same load. Then compare that with my Lyman #3 or #4 cast boolit manual. I'll make a conservative decision, and may lower it some more.

With slow rifle powders, you can get in trouble in some cases going too low, SEE events.
With fast powders like Red Dot I tend to start around 3 grains and work up. Although both 7.62x54r and .444marlin got started considerably above that. In the end I backed them off until they were comfortable enough to shoot for an extended period. But I'm no longer in the "need for speed" club.

YMMV

GARD72977
06-29-2019, 10:05 PM
I subscribed for the first time this year. I like it. There are a lot of hard to find loads listed.

jonp
06-30-2019, 05:29 AM
Went to range with a new keltec 32

That was your first mistake.

Rcmaveric
06-30-2019, 08:18 AM
I like it aswell and use it. Its not even that expensive. You have access to all data ever published by Wolfe. And its searchable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mac60
06-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Just like jmort - I'm a long time subscriber. I locked in when it was $29.95/yr. and it automatically renews with no rate changes. I have a buddy that has a small fortune invested in loading manuals. I have most of that data at my fingertips (plus a lot more) and it's quick and easy to search through. It's not for everybody though. Personally, I like it and don't plan on letting my subscription lapse.

jonp
06-30-2019, 11:30 AM
I think I'm going to get it. I had a good member here provide some various cast for a 416 Ruger but the data is hard to find. I have some info from others here via PM's and enough experience plus common sense to recognize loads I won't touch.