PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

JDFuchs
10-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Well been looking at geting into Swaging for a while now. Just won a set of 38cal 101 dies form C & H for $96 after shipping. Hope its as simple as it looks.

I was wondering if any of you know a good online guide, and if any one has tried WW lead swaging.

docone31
10-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling you need soft lead, and a stout machine.
I do not see why it cannot be done though.
I wonder about using a conventional casting, and swageing it to shape.
Wheel Weight lead?
I am not sure, but, I do not believe it will be an happy experience.
I do not know. I had also looked at the prospect before I went to paper patching.
With my rifle, much less effort after I found my size to patch to.

454PB
10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
In my swaging experience, I've found that anything harder than pure lead is very hard on dies and presses.

Buckshot
10-28-2008, 03:06 AM
.............You CAN swage harder lead, but that depends mostly on the device to provide the power and it's design. The dies you bought might be able to handle a little harder alloy then pure lead. However theyr'e designed to be used in a conventional reloading press. Most are VERY stout, and they can supply enough leverage to cause you to question your bench's ability.

The weak link in a reloading press is the shellholder 'T' slot in the head of the ram. I don't know if they still do but at one time CH offered replacement specially hardened rams for a couple presses to help them deal with the work.

.................Buckshot

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I reform 38s in a C&H press made from WW,no sweat.:coffee:[smilie=1: