PDA

View Full Version : Needing computer help

rl69
06-28-2019, 09:12 AM
I use a I pad.my wife uses the PC. So I'm not real sure how all this started.... but apparently AVG was bought/contacted....I'm not real sure... My wife knows less about this stuff then me and I don't know a cotton picking thing.... But it seams like AVG has changed our logon password and we can get on

gwpercle
06-28-2019, 09:45 AM
What ever you do... Don't pay money to get your password working again...that's a scam .
After you pay the "fees" you still don't get your computer password working again . Be Careful,
wish I could help more but I'm in the same boat you are . Computer Illiterate .
Gary

Thunder Stick
06-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Install and run the free version of Malwarebytes to remove the ransomware. Then, uninstall AVG (a resource hog) and go with the free Windows Defender. Your computer will thank you. :)

SSGOldfart
06-28-2019, 10:21 AM
What is AVG ? See I'm not much with these confusers either?

Markopolo
06-28-2019, 10:28 AM
I would love to help you out.... gotta see more... can you take a pic on your IPad of exactly what your screen says when you are trying to log in???? And what it looks like?

flyingmonkey35
06-28-2019, 10:32 AM
I hate to say this this but you need pro help.

its called ransomware.

do not pay those creeps

call a few local PC shops and tell them the iusse and ask what they charge.

most should do it for free to obtain your business. or for about 40 bucks.

or ask around your neighbors if you know anyone that can remove ransomware from your pc.

I'd bet you'd find a smart kid that can do it for a plate of cookies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rl69
06-28-2019, 07:49 PM
Well She's on couldn't tell you what I did but it's done :) YouTube is your friend

GhostHawk
06-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Don't pay, get help or worst case scenario reinstall windows if you have the disk.

Its like paying kidnappers, they will take the money and kill the kid.

Conditor22
06-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Install and run the free version of Malwarebytes to remove the ransomware. Then, uninstall AVG (a resource hog) and go with the free Windows Defender. Your computer will thank you. :)

100% on using malware bytes before going any farther.

AVG and AVAST are 2 free antiviruses. one of them got new ownership and has gotten weird/greedy [sorry I don't remember which one]

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Well She's on couldn't tell you what I did but it's done :) YouTube is your friend

Now that it's running, I would un-install AVG.
Assuming you are using windows, I would make sure windows Defender is on.

GhostHawk
06-29-2019, 10:32 AM
AVG "Used" to be free, was the best of the free anti virus software.

I used them for years. Then it changed. And I dropped them like a bad habit.

Tell your wife when she is @ facebook be DANG careful what she clicks on.
That place has more virus's written specifically for it than any other single site.

You take your computers life into your own hands when you go there.

My wife does not believe me and she has been through 4 computers in 3 years.

I stay out of there, and until 2 weeks ago was still on the same computer that she started with.
(bought matching pair)

Age killed it, JKL keys started printing 456, IOP was 123.
Reboots, nothing would fix it. Methinks something died.

Now I'm on what was my wifes 2nd computer, an Asus Laptop that managed to upgrade itself from win 8.1 to 10 while in sleep mode. And sat there long enough before we found it that we could not roll back.

So after a week of head scratching, reading, swearing I was able to get Win 10 wiped, Mint 18.1 insalled and configured.
Now it does everything it used to do only faster. I even have it running some windows apps. I'm used to it now, will run it till it dies. It looks mostly and acts a lot like windows. File structure is totally different. So I just made a couple of folders, one on desktop (ebooks) and a downloads folder with a shortcut to the desktop. So I can find that file I just downloaded.

Pretty simple stuff really. If this ol farm boy can figure it out.

No different than a big city really, be careful where you go. You start seeing signs like Asian Massage shops, Chances are you don't want to be there.

Elkins45
06-29-2019, 11:52 AM
How many of you have a recent backup of your computer? I’m betting quite a few of you don’t.

You can buy a huge capacity external USB hard drive at every Walmart, Target or Best Buy in America for around $100. Plug it in, hook it up and backup your whole system, then disconnect it and put it in your desk at work. If you’re retired put it somewhere not attached to your house. Maybe once or twice a month hook it up again and update your backup then put it back in storage. If your house burns down or your computer croaks you will be glad you did. Trust me.

DougGuy
06-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Linux Mint 19 started using Timeshift, it's similar to System Restore, works basically the same way except it doesn't obliterate all your saved documents and pics and downloads, it can restore previous system files. You can set it to copy everything if you want to but that will require a huge amount of space on disk.

I use other drives to store pics, downloads, documents even my Firefox profile gets copied off, and I use Clonezilla to clone an image of my system drive on another drive so I always have multiple backups.

gwpercle
06-29-2019, 01:26 PM
I've got AVG on my computer , how do I get it off.

Never mind....I just checked and it's gone..wife or son must have made it go away ...thanks
Gary

Land Owner
06-29-2019, 03:36 PM
First and foremost, everyone should "periodically" do a CONTROL-SHIFT-DELETE simultaneously. Then check all of the boxes to wipe out HISTORY, COOKIES, CACHE, TABS, FORMS, PASSWORDS - EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERYTHING. Do that multiple times in a row for Good Housekeeping. Then turn the computer OFF for 30 seconds and back ON again.

This method will right any number of "wrongs", including slowness, and sometimes malware goes bye-bye too. Sure, you will have to login to ALL of your on line forums, bank accounts, subscriptions, etc., but that inconvenience is small change compared to the JUNK you will delete that downloads to your PC daily.

Then (download and) run Malwarebytes to rid your PC of ransomware, which AVG is NOT.

Three44s
06-29-2019, 04:33 PM
With your I pad, go to settings and scroll down to Safari. Click on Safari.

On the right half of the screen scroll down to Search History and select to delete History. Choose “yes” when it asks if you are sure? See if that does the trick on your I pad.

Best of luck.

Three44s

jonp
06-30-2019, 05:33 AM

I've tried AVG a few times and always took it off. If you are going to buy a protection for your computer and it's never a bad idea to run 2, get Norton 360 and turn on the free Windows Defender.
https://www.pcmag.com/review/327977/symantec-norton-security-deluxe

Use a browser like Firefox that you can set up to never remember history, passwords etc and consider using a backup service.

Wag
06-30-2019, 02:15 PM
The biggest problem with AVG and most other "anti-virus" programs is that they disable Windows Defender features. Those features are actually superior to the third party anti-virus software.

--Wag--