PDA

View Full Version : Lee handles on other moulds?

vanilla_gorilla
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I was stressing today when it appeared to me that the RCBS 44-250-K mould I'd just purchased would only take the $40 RCBS handles, but a friend told me that the RCBS moulds would also take Lee 6 cav handles. Is my friend correct?

I don't really desire to go "cheap" so much as the simple fact that currently, the 44-250-K is the only mould I desire from RCBS. No such luck in finding a RCBS Keith mould in .358. :roll: I really hate to buy forty bucks worth of handles on top of my mould investment, only to find that they only work for one mould.

Blammer
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I use Lee handles on my rcbs 44250K and a bunch of others.

You may have to shave a bit off of the handles to make em fit but they work fine for me.

mooman76
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Don't sweat it. I have never tried but heard you have to shave a little off the lee handles to get them to fit RCBS. They fir the Lyman perfect as is. I didn't have a set at the time so I took a Lee 2x that I didn't need and dismantled them and used those. I had to shim them but they worked.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi, The lee handles can be currently purchased thru Midsouth shooters supply for around $12-$13 dollars. The price is relatively cheap...certainly a lot cheaper than Lyman or RCBS versions, but the quality of the construction is every bit as good as either of the others. You may have to file a bit off of the Lee's to get them to fit the slots in the blocks or else drill a couple of holes in the tangs to line up with the pins in the mold blocks, but it works and it works well. A lot of folks do this with success and a lot of $$$$saved, so go for it. Good shooting. LLS

Heavy lead
10-26-2008, 10:23 PM
I use Lee handles on Lyman 2 cavity (not four, they don't work at all on them IME) and RCBS. They bolt right on the Lyman with no modification, but you will have to file or grind them a little thinner for the RCBS. Also, before you even start, mix up some JB Weld and glue the handles on, they come loose when you start casting.

Boomer Mikey
10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I have plenty of the Lyman, RCBS, Saeco and Lee handles but when I got some 4 cavity Lyman molds and the handles were in the $40 range I waited for Midway to put the Lee handles on sale ($11.00); ordered 2 sets then put them in my mill and cut them down to fit the 4 cavity Lyman blocks and drilled them for the Lyman pins (7/32") and in 30 minutes had 2 pair of $40 handles for less than $30.

If I had known Lee handles fit the RCBS, Lyman, and Saeco 2 cavity molds I would have saved hundreds of dollars.

The Saeco and Lyman handles are much better quality but not $25.00 better!

Save some money,

Boomer :Fire:

Buckshot
10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
...................To fit Saeco blocks the Lee 6 cav handles require you to drill the holes a tad larger to fit the fatter Saeco mould block screws. Otherwise they're a perfect fit.

..................Buckshot

missionary5155
10-27-2008, 05:35 AM
You can adapt anything you own.. I have filed down Lyman handles... drilled new holes in Lyman handles... Opened up Lyman handles (removed material from the inside so a mold could slide closer to the pivot).. Removed the handles from a Rapine mold and modified then to work on a Saeco.. (and then modified the Rapine mold to screws instead of pin mounting to handles ) I was taught years ago that was why files, grinders and drills were made... I would rather spend my money on primers and powder...

Bob Krack
10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I bought a Lee six cavity handle for an RCBS .30 caliber 2 cavity mould. Bolted right on with no modifications required.

Perfect fit also:
Ohaus single cavity Maxi-ball mould,
Lyman 2 cavity .38 caliber (vintage mould)
Lyman 2 cavity .357 caliber

Vic

mold maker
10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I just used a set of Lee 6 cav. handles on the NEI molds in the "Get Rich Slow" benefit. They fit the 4 cav. NEI mold much better than the handles provided. The molds have seen quiet a bit of use and were showing damage from the provided handles, where as the Lee handles aided in matching the mold halves when closing.
Beyond that, the Lee 6 cav. handles are half the price.

miestro_jerry
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
The 6 mold handles fit all of my 1 C and 2C Lyman, RCBS and a Saeco molds without mods. The handles cost about $12.00, They work and are worth the money.

Jerry

vanilla_gorilla
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. Now I just have to wait until the Lee handles get delivered.

crabo
10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
The Lee 6 cavity handles will also fit LBT molds.