PDA

View Full Version : mould handles, need wood part

ffffg
10-26-2008, 08:57 PM
where can i get some wood mould handles to replace my wood and collet thing on my lyman mold handles, double cavity.. thanks dave...

45nut
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Broom handles work well,, and the trim ring can be made from anything handy,,even wraps of wire.

montana_charlie
10-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Hardware stores carry 'file handles' in several sizes.
CM

bruce drake
10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
3/4" wood dowel with a starter hole drilled in the middle to prevent splitting works pretty well for me. I can't remember the exact size drill bit I used. I just eyeballed against the metal handle drilled the hole and then tapped the dowel into place. I then used acra-glass down into the cavity as well. They've never slipped off.

Bruce

DBrown
10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
3/4" wood dowel with a starter hole drilled in the middle to prevent splitting works pretty well for me. I can't remember the exact size drill bit I used. I just eyeballed against the metal handle drilled the hole and then tapped the dowel into place. I then used acra-glass down into the cavity as well. They've never slipped off.

Bruce

What is acra-glass

Heavy lead
10-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Acra-glass is from Brownells and is for glass bedding rifles as well as a super strong epoxy. JB Weld will work too, and is available all over. JB Weld has saved my keister a time or too, I always have some on hand.

Kraschenbirn
10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Another good adhesive for (re)attaching wood grips to mould handles is Permatex High Temp RTV-Silicon Gasket compound (#26B). Just redid a set of old Ohaus handles tonight. Was casting some 265-grainers for my 38-55 when one of the grips slipped about halfway off as I opened the mould drop a pair of boolits onto the catch pad...I air-cool these...and I nearly ended up with the hot mould, boolits and all, in my lap. Could've been a genuine "OUCH" moment.

Bill

missionary5155
10-27-2008, 06:12 AM
It makes my heart sing to read the these simple solutions !

GP100man
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
five min. epoxy mix it & stuff the handle full then push da handle on

GP100man :cbpour:

ffffg
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I had the lumber yard cut some strait grain hickory to handle length, split it into 4 square 13/16 pieces and drilled 31/64 holes.. That stuff is tuff, its not totally shaped yet, but actually odd shapes hold well.. A file will just barely cut that stuff when held in the hand.. Very good and tough handles .. thanks dave

carpetman
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Wanna have some fun, find a high pedestrian traffic area with cement walk way. Use the 5 minute epoxy and epoxy a couple of coins (not pennies)to the walk way. Stand back and watch.

Hardcast416taylor
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds like what we did to a real cheapskate guy. He would grab your empty soda can as he rode by on his 3 wheel work bike. Well, he grabbed the glued down Coke can as he sped by and was neatly pulled off the bike! Another time a quarter was glued to the cement floor in our break area near a card players table. Not really sure how many broken finger nails happened there before Mr. Cheapskate chisled it free to keep.:twisted: