PDA

View Full Version : New to the 94,and have a few questions.

Elroy
06-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Hello from Jackson Co. WVa..I just joined this forum today..I have been reloading for several years,but the only lever gun I have loaded for is an old Savage 99..I recently bought a Winchester 94 30-30 ,and intend on just using it to plink,and carry in the truck,or on 4 wheeler..I ordered dies,including a crimp die off ebay,and brass,and bullets from Midway,and should get them in a day or two.I went cheap on bullets with 110gr Speer varminteer hollow points #1835,and intend to use Win 748.I kind of regret not getting a better bullet after reading about some folks have feeding issues with them,but I really dont understand why.From the looks of them they look like they should be just fine in a tube feed,and Speer list data for them.Any one have expierence with this bullet?.I have never had much expeirence with the 30-30 or the 94 so I also dont know what to expect as far as accuracy.What is concidered good accuracy at 100 yards for this gun with a good handload?. If I ever do decide to load for whitetail is 150,or 170gr,or something else best? thanks

Shawlerbrook
06-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Either 150 or 170 will work great on whitetails. Whatever your gun shoots best.

Elroy
06-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Thanks

redhawk0
06-27-2019, 03:56 PM
For deer you might want to try a 170gr FN Bullet along with 32.0 grains of the W748. That was the old (maybe still current) factory load for winchester ammo. It shoot real well in my 94. If you can't find a 170 load that works well...try 150s. Like Shawlerbrook said...whatever shoots best.

redhawk

Elroy
06-27-2019, 04:03 PM
For deer you might want to try a 170gr FN Bullet along with 32.0 grains of the W748. That was the old (maybe still current) factory load for winchester ammo. It shoot real well in my 94. If you can't find a 170 load that works well...try 150s. Like Shawlerbrook said...whatever shoots best.

redhawk

I almost ordered a couple boxes of Speer 170 gr for $21.50 per box when I placed my order with Midway ,but my inner titewad took over,and I went with the 110s.I will order some next time .

Ajohns
06-27-2019, 04:11 PM
If you indeed went with 110's, there are some things to watch for. Cartridge overall length is one. Performance on deer is another.
If seated short they may not feed right and jam. Some have two cannelures on them to seat them to a length that works right. The bullet is light constructed and may not penetrate very good at all, if not hit in the vitals. Another route you may look into if youre looking for a lighter bullet is 125 and 130 grain offerings. Only from what I've read, they work well and recoil less.

redhawk0
06-27-2019, 04:14 PM
I agree with Ajohns...those 110gr bullets are for varmints only. And...they might not feed correctly. Don't use them for deer. The bullet just isn't built for heavier game.

Personally, I like the Seirra 170gr FN bullets. I've had good accuracy with them.

redhawk

Elroy
06-27-2019, 04:21 PM
The Speer data list their load at 2.415 OAL,but doesnt say what rifle they were tested in..The bullet does appear to have two crimp grooves,one looking like a normal canelure,and the other being a ring closer to the tip of the bullet..I would not concider these for deer,but a few folks that reviewed them claimed to use them.

redhawk0
06-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Speer tested in Test barrels...not rifles.

I'm a huge fan of the "one caliber" manuals. they list out all the powder and bullet manufacture's load data. There is one for the 30-30. Its about $10 but it saves you from getting one manual and being bound to just that set of data.

This is just one source
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Loadbooks-USA-Caliber-Gauge-Specific-Reloading-Manuals/704597.uts

redhawk

Elroy
06-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Do you folks use mag primers with the 748 in 30-30? I was surprised that Speer recomended the CCI 250.I realize that 748 is ball,but I would have thought the 30-30 was low capacity enough to not require it.I do have some,and will use them.I have also heard that mag primers are a bit harder,and I guess that may be a good thing in a tube magazine.How heavy of a crimp do you all use ?

redhawk0
06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
I use Mag primers with all ball powders. But many don't. You're correct...its a smaller capacity cartridge. If you have accuracy problems with the regular, then try magnum.

redhawk

Walks
06-27-2019, 05:14 PM
I've been using the Sierra 170gr Flat Point in the Model 94 from 1981. It's one of the Last top-eject rifles. The Shorty loves that Sierra Bullet. Often printing one hole groups at 50yrds and 1 1/4" groups at 100yrs. I use a Williams FoolProof peep sight with a .580 tall 1/8" Gold Bead. Screwed all the way down it prints 2" high at 50yds and dead on at 100yrds.
Of course this is all from a solid bench with a sand bagged rest. Added a 1/2" Rubber Butt pad for a bit of extra length.

I partial size my cases so I've never lost one to case-head separation.

WW748 with Fed215 primers. It leaves Very little unburned powder in that short bbl.

Took 3 Does in successive yrs with that combination.
Added a sling for Carbine carry, thru heavy brush.
Very fast to get on target.

Elroy
06-27-2019, 06:43 PM
I will be starting out with new brass,and will try just partial neck sizing after the first firing.Mine has just the standard sight on the barrel, but I can see it well.I have my Dad's old 03 and it has one of those reciever peep sights, and with the fine aperture it is a real shooter with handloads.

indian joe
06-27-2019, 07:04 PM
I use Mag primers with all ball powders. But many don't. You're correct...its a smaller capacity cartridge. If you have accuracy problems with the regular, then try magnum.

redhawk

I have been using standard primers with Win 760 for years - never had a problem (22/250, 25/303, 348) however I have several hundred federal 215 primers I need to be rid of (bought em back in the old days when the Gurus were recommending em for Blackpowder loads) ----how much (roughly) should I reduce my powder charge for a mag primer?

Bazoo
06-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum Elroy.

I load 30-30 with 748 and I use regular primers. Usually WLR but sometimes CCI LR. I haven't done any cold weather testing to speak of however. Mostly I run the Lyman 31141 but have shot various jacketed.

My winchester 94, made in 1970 will do less than 2"s (3 shots) at 70 yards (where my table was at last testing) with federal 170 grain factory, and my 31141 loads with 748 will do the same. My rifle is tight though, chamber and action. When I add 2 shots my groups range 3" on the low and 5" on the high side depending on the load.
I got the best accuracy so far with 30 grains of 748 and the 31141 but normally shoot 32.5 as that's what one of my lee dippers throws, and it was close in accuracy but the trajectory was closer to factory than the 30 grain loading.

I prefer to full length size personally but I have run ammo made with a lee classic loader (neck sized) without any issue.

I changed my original rear sight for a marbles semi buckhorn. It gives me a finer sight picture.

toallmy
06-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Those little 110 half jacket bullets will get you shooting your new 30-30 , and that's a good start . Welcome

Elroy
06-27-2019, 07:25 PM
I thank you all for the welcomes ! I assume mine has the original sights.They have a small screw on one side of the face that seems to hold a thinner built insert in place.I don't know if it's for adjustment,or for changing the overall sight picture similar to changing apertures in a peep sight.I have not shot it yet,but I hope it doesn't shoot too high with the lighter pills,because the elevator is sat almost as low as it goes.I only have one more notch of downward adjustment left.

redhawk0
06-27-2019, 07:32 PM
I have been using standard primers with Win 760 for years - never had a problem (22/250, 25/303, 348) however I have several hundred federal 215 primers I need to be rid of (bought em back in the old days when the Gurus were recommending em for Blackpowder loads) ----how much (roughly) should I reduce my powder charge for a mag primer?

10% and work back up. My working load is about 7-8% lower than listed max.

redhawk

Bazoo
06-27-2019, 10:41 PM
That little screw is for fine elevation adjustment of the center of the sight. I can't remember for sure but i think marble was one of the suppliers of sights for winchester pre 64. There were a couple factory sights depending on era if I recall right. Post 64 however, they used a sight that looks like the top half of a heart and has two screws in the rear for fine adjustment of elevation. So if you have a pre 64 made gun the sight could be original but if it's a post 64, it is a replacement. If ya take a picture we can most likely tell you.

If you don't know, serial numbers after 2,700,000 are post 64 versions. Both are good rifles but the pre 64 are more collectible and bring a higher price.

Elroy
06-27-2019, 11:05 PM
It is a 1962 acording to244250244251 what I gather by the serial number.I am going to try some pics244252

samari46
06-27-2019, 11:33 PM
Nice Winchester with a sort of been there done that look. What you have as a rear sight I think is what they call a semi buckhorn. The two curving ears are shorter that a full buckhorn. The ears on a full buckhorn curve up a little higher. If you wish to use a regular reciever sight look on the left hand side of the receiver and there should be two small screws about 5/8ths apart. Simple matter to remove the screws and the receiver sight should come with replacements. Marbles sells sight blanks "made of steel" to fill in the slot where the old sight was. My two favorite Win 30-30's are the Canadian Centennials one with a 20" octagon bbl and the rifle has the 26" barrel. They are fun too shoot and if you reload very cheap to shoot. Have fun with your "winnie" Frank

phonejack
06-27-2019, 11:40 PM
A Speer 170, 32.0/748 has been my load for many years

Bazoo
06-28-2019, 01:26 AM
I believe that to be the original sight. If I'm not mistaken, Your rifle will not be drilled for a receiver sight but should be drilled for a tang sight.

Very nice old rifle.

colt38sp
06-28-2019, 10:56 AM
I have had very good accuracy with the Speer 130gr FN. They make really affordable plinking bullets. I had .5" groups at 50 yards with my 94AE. Midsouth has Speer bullets on sale right now as well.

Elroy
06-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the good advice.My used two die set from EBay came today,and I think I may get my Midway order,and my crimp die tomorrow or monday.I hope to be shooting it soon.The tang just has the one bolt running from top to bottom,but there are two screws closely spaced on the rear of the reciever that may be for a reciever sight.

Bazoo
06-28-2019, 12:37 PM
What kind of crimp die you getting, Lee factory crimp? I just use a regular die set but add a Lyman M die for cast. I crimp and seat in one operation, seems most here do it in two. It works fine for me. I trim my cases very loading though so I have a consistent crimp.

I thought only post 64 rifles were drilled for receiver sights, well, factory drilled that is. I'll have to look into it some more. Personally I don't like the way they look on a leveraction.

What caliber is the 99 you mention?

Texas by God
06-28-2019, 01:41 PM
The lever pin retaining screw is a pre 64 feature and that's how I spot them in a gun rack. I've used W748 but I've always liked IMR 3031 better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Elroy
06-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Yea,it is the Lee factory crimp..I got a good deal on some RCBS dies on EBay,but I had to buy the crimp die new..The 99 is in 250-3000.It was my Dads,after he died I got it,and thats what I started loading on..I hunted with it for a couple years,and passed it down to one of my grandsons.It is drilled,and tapped,and has a rubber pad,but it was all done years before .I killed a lot of good deer with Speer 87 gr Hot Cor.I have some pics and will try to post one,or two

Alferd Packer
06-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Have you ever thought of trying cast bullets?
You should get a cast bullet manual if you don't have one and see the plinking loads and ways to load low power fun loads.
Just my 2cts.
A Lyman cast bullet manual?
Midway sells cast bullets.

Elroy
06-28-2019, 02:21 PM
244275244276 I like never got these to post,I had to use photo hosting.I had no problem posting pictures I took with my tablet last night..I may get into casting one day.

FergusonTO35
06-28-2019, 03:56 PM
Here's my two cents on what works for me in my .30-30's from Marlin, Winchester, and Mossberg:

Williams FP-94/36 is the perfect receiver sight for your rifle. As a bonus, it fits Marlins too.

All my rifles shoot the 150 grain Sierra over 30 grains IMR 4064 great. Everything shot with it has been dead right there with a nice wound channel through and through. I'm sure the 170 grain would work great too.

The Lee C309-170-RF is an excellent boolit for this cartridge, all my rifles love it. I size to .310 with an aluminum gas check, load it over 17 grains IMR SR4759. When that runs out, probably go with Hodgdon 4198 or Reloder 7.

Have fun, a .30-30 is one of the best firearms you can own!

Elroy
06-28-2019, 04:35 PM
I got a text from UPS a while ago letting me know that my Midway order was delivered to the post office,and went and got it.I slapped a dummy round together,and tried the 2.415"OAL,and it fed perfectly into the opening of the chamber,but I could tell I was on the lands vefore the lever was completly shut.I closed it anyway,and when I shucked it back out it was 2.37 OAL..I thought this is no huge issue and I will just have to seat them at that depth.I put my dummy back in,and cycled it,and my bullet was plum down in the case.I set it back at 2.37,and watched it as I tried to chamber it, and what happens is the tip of the bullet is too low to start into the chamber when seated that short..I think I can still use them by seating them at the 2.415" length with little, or no crimp,and letting them seat theirselves against the lands..I will be loading on the mild side..Does this seem alright .I dont want to be unsafe,but I hate to waste the bullets.

redhawk0
06-28-2019, 05:58 PM
That sounds risky to me. I'd set them all at the 2.37" and feed them one at a time to use them up. Then get a heavier bullet for the next go-around.

If that bullet seats all the way into the case and you didn't know it...it could cause a dangerous pressure situation.

redhawk

Elroy
06-28-2019, 06:14 PM
That sounds risky to me. I'd set them all at the 2.37" and feed them one at a time to use them up. Then get a heavier bullet for the next go-around.

If that bullet seats all the way into the case and you didn't know it...it could cause a dangerous pressure situation.

redhawk

Yea,you are probably right .It is better to be safe than sorry..I think Midway is still offering free shipping on orders of $49 and above.I may as well buy some 170s

Texas by God
06-28-2019, 06:56 PM
I would love to send you some cast bullets to try in your 3030 if you are willing. PM me if so.

Elroy
06-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks,I sent you a PM.

toallmy
06-29-2019, 06:12 AM
I would love to send you some cast bullets to try in your 3030 if you are willing. PM me if so.

Good man ,