PDA

View Full Version : I'm a sucker for hard luck cases, this time it's an 1894 Winchester rifle.

David LaPell
06-26-2019, 06:47 PM
As usual, I ran into a gun I found interesting. The gun shop had a Winchester leaning in the corner, and when they showed it to me, it's obvious that the gun has had a hard life. It's a Model 1894 in .38-55 and the serial number puts it at being made in 1895. According to the shop owner, the guy who brought it in to sell it was as old as the hills and he was still using it up until a couple years back.
As you can see from the photos, it's spent some time outdoors. The barrel has a lot of pitting, as does the receiver and the lever. The shocking thing is that the rifling is excellent with almost no wear at all. The action is still slick and the inside of the receiver has no pitting at all. The wood, not sure where that came from, the forearm looks like a Marlin, the buttstock, don't have a clue, there's no holes drilled for a butt pad at all.
So the real thing is, what to do with it?
I talked to Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works, and it would be way beyond what the gun's value to bring it back to what it was. The other thing is, would the barrel be safe to shoot with the pitting the way it is? The inside is fine, but there's the outside. I found another barrel to be on the safe side so I can have it put on. Wood is ok, I can get that. Any ideas? I paid next to nothing for it, the shop owner wasn't all that thrilled another employee bought it in the first place. We'll have to see what becomes of it.

https://i.imgur.com/GgT0ucN.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/xR4lWVm.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/tNRbLeG.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/gIQJ2yy.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/cNWhoVf.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/LMfwv3C.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/QlIGcbc.jpg?1

Bazoo
06-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Personally id leave it like it is. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a rear sight base from a post 64 version. I would put a correct sight on it.

Kev18
06-26-2019, 07:14 PM
**** thats pitted! I thought I had a pitted rifle.

I would still say its safe to shoot. The receiver doesn't matter. The barrel is pretty normal to have heavy rust/pitting/missing blue. Its the balance point and everyone holds the rifle there. It looks like 100+ years of never being oiled on the outside.

The only thing bothering me is the wood not fitting against the receiver but from far I really like the look. its unique!

redhawk0
06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Wow...has that rifle been over hill and dale. I love the "rustic" look. I wouldn't change a thing.

redhawk

pietro
06-26-2019, 08:37 PM

That right there is the epitome of a truck gun ! . :D

Der Gebirgsjager
06-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Just from the appearance, I'd say it's safe to shoot. I do believe that it could be restored, but it would be a labor of love. Lots of draw filing there.

Hootmix
06-26-2019, 08:54 PM
David,, go back to your dealer ,,, talk to the feller who took the rifle in ,, " Find the guy who sold it " there is a story waiting to be told,, history in the making ,, the rifle can't talk ,, But the old feller can . "Great Rifle "!!!!

coffee's ready ,,Hootmix.

redhawk0
06-26-2019, 09:07 PM
David,, go back to your dealer ,,, talk to the feller who took the rifle in ,, " Find the guy who sold it " there is a story waiting to be told,, history in the making ,, the rifle can't talk ,, But the old feller can . "Great Rifle "!!!!

AWESOME idea....yes....try to get the backstory.

I wish we had a Like button.

Highway41
06-26-2019, 09:20 PM
That rifle is exquisite. I can't stop looking at the pics.

Please leave it as is unless mechanical issues are found.

Texas by God
06-26-2019, 10:20 PM
I'm sure the original wood rotted off. I'd shoot it a lot with mild loads as it is and not insult it with oil at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
06-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Wow. And I thought I had a hard life.

I'd just clean it up and shoot all cast & mild loads in it.

The pitting in the barrel shouldn't make it unsafe to shoot.
It won't help the accuracy much, but I don't see how it's dangerous.

The rear leaf looks new.
Take it off and bury it in a flower pot for a few months, that'll make it look like it is the original.

bedbugbilly
06-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Now that's a rifle with "character" - I'd keep it as it is. And the suggestion to track down the history of it is a good idea as well. Thanks for sharing . . . that would look so good on the wall with the printed history of it underneath!

mattw
06-27-2019, 09:07 AM
Wow, I would love one like that. For 100+ she ain't bad! Would be a great cast gun with the bore in good shape, I think I would try to find the rear wood and tone down the blue on that sight. Seems like when I find one like that they want way to much because it is a 100+ year old Winchester and it must be worth at least a grand.

fordwannabe
06-27-2019, 09:58 AM
It’s your gun do as you wish. Me? Other than hold it pat it’s receiver and tell it “Well done ol girl.” Wouldn’t touch it. As to the back story, if you can find the old guy in my opinion that would be worth a decent dinner for him and the Mrs. Don’t forget to tell him you will love it as much as he did, because he probably didn’t WANT to sell it. But that’s just me. Don’t dawdle he may not be around too long and then the history is gone forever. Sign me a sentimental old fool. But that’s why I like hunting with 100 year old leverguns.

Markopolo
06-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Looks like it spent time in SE Alaska...

I am with the others... Shoot It, Shoot it, SHOOT IT!!!!!!!:bigsmyl2:

georgerkahn
06-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Congratulations, David, on finding this. Bion, I own a brother or sister of this firearm -- mine is: Winchester Model 1894 .38-55 Octagon Barrel Rifle, serial number 42,xxx, also of 1895 Manufacture! Mine is in a tad better shape; e.g., hardly (if at all) any pitting at all. It is "on display" at a son's house quite a few miles distant -- but I can ask him to take, send me, and then perhaps I may post or send you a photo or two. I bought mine in 1976, a private sale purchase, giving $375.00 for it. I never fired it, although it may be shoot-able, still. If/when son takes photos and emails same to me, you will be able to see wood, sights, etc. on mine -- which I believe to be 100% factory original.
Do you know the serial number of this one?
geo

Bulldogger
06-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Based on your comments of a slick action and good rifling, my position is aligned with those who say to take care of it as is and shoot it every chance you get. I bet shooting it will feel good. This tool knows her trade, and will show you she can perform if you give her the chance. If you make modifications for sake of appearances, you'll strip away her soul and she'll never work as well as she does now.
BDGR

RED BEAR
06-27-2019, 11:10 AM
I am a sucker for things like this to. If bore is ok i would give it a go and see. I feel it just needs a bit of love.

georgerkahn
06-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Lucky for us both, perhaps -- son on VaCa and at home -- so he took and sent me a few photos of mine:244212244213244214244215244216
geo

stubshaft
06-27-2019, 12:51 PM
I'd leave it and shoot it or if the bore was toast, then I would sleeve it and shoot it.

Nice gun!

indian joe
06-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Yes - get the story before that old guy is gone - I bet that old gun was filled up with grease and buried someplace - was there talk of collecting guns during the depression or WW2 ? . My grandad buried a 44gal drum of petrol in the middle of his chicken house at the start of rationing in WW2 - they were sposed to declare everything they had and hand in stuff for the war effort - the boys dug it up in 1947 and used it - (we had rartioning till 1950 I think)

GL49
06-28-2019, 12:57 AM
What a great rifle! I wouldn't change anything.

missionary5155
06-28-2019, 05:47 AM
Good morning
I would happily buy a caliber 38 rifle like that... It is shootable with a good bore !
It is what is inside that matters. All exteriors will wear but how is the heart, that which gets the job done.
And we also have a second year 1894 in Caliber 38. Our barrel looks better on the outside but was not well cared for inside. Happily will shoot acceptably minute of corn cruncher out to my river bottoms distances.
Mike in Peru

Shawlerbrook
06-28-2019, 06:19 AM
Agree with the above. If that old timer could only talk.

David LaPell
06-28-2019, 12:06 PM

I went back today and talked to one of the shop owner's, they're going to try and get me the name and number of the man who sold it to them. He might have been the second or third owner of the gun from what they think, but he did use and shoot this gun, but he's in his 70's now and has called it quits. I am a little concerned about the pitting at the breech end, and I did find another barrel for this gun that will go on it. I already have the correct wood on order for it and a couple of screws that need to be replaced. I will see if it shoots, but I won't be putting my face on that stock the first time when I do. But we will see what happens.

Hootmix
06-29-2019, 12:34 AM
David,, if you relined the barrel ,, not only would it be very safe to shoot,, it would still that " GREAT " character look,, and you wouldn't have to worry about the breach area,, just my thought on it. Now with all that being said,, there is a thing called " Laser Welding " saw a video of a rifle w/ deep pits being filled in and dressed down ,, slick work .

coffee"s ready ,, Hootmix.

David LaPell
06-29-2019, 07:39 AM
I took the magazine tube off last night, and that was fun, it was really on there. The underside of the barrel by the breech isn't too bad pitting wise, nothing like the topside, and there's one little spot of bluing left right by where the mag tube enters the action. All the markings are there. I have thought about filling in some of the spots to help maybe give it some strength. The one thing I know is that the barrel tapers and is thicker at the breech end than the bore, while the replacement barrel I found, which is a correct barrel for the Model 94 rifle, doesn't taper at all which is like another 1894 Winchester .38-55 I once owned, that barrel had no taper either. Right now I am going to play it by ear and I will try and see what happens.

David LaPell
06-29-2019, 08:11 AM
David,, if you relined the barrel ,, not only would it be very safe to shoot,, it would still that " GREAT " character look,, and you wouldn't have to worry about the breach area,, just my thought on it. Now with all that being said,, there is a thing called " Laser Welding " saw a video of a rifle w/ deep pits being filled in and dressed down ,, slick work .

coffee"s ready ,, Hootmix.

I'm going to try something tonight, not sure how it will turn out, but I am going to try to fill in the smaller spots which can't be seen because of the forearm anyway, with JB-Weld. I want to see how well it blends in with the steel now. I know it will work, have used the stuff for years to fix stuff, not this, but I have filled in pot metal holes with it before. If I don't like how it turns out color wise, you won't see it anyway but it will add some strength on the underside. I don't plan on filling in everything, but those bigger pits I might be able to take care of and help strengthen. I imagine even if I were to fill it in with other metal, it won't match up anyways. I know the more I work on this gun the more I like it.

Bazoo
06-29-2019, 08:14 AM
Very interesting. I can't say I wouldn't change the stock I spose, it would drive me nuts. If the barrel was safe thou I'd probably not change it. Wonder what a winchester letter letter would say of it. Also wonder if you put it on gunbroker what it'd bring. It's just neat, keep the updates coming!

Buzz Krumhunger
06-29-2019, 09:09 AM
I’m not sure JB Weld will add any strength to the pitted areas.

LIMPINGJ
06-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Glue is not going to be doing anything but fill the pit to provide a smooth surface and sealing in any unkilled rust to continue to work. I would completely disassemble hang big parts in a steam box and boil this small parts to convert the rust then card to remove the scale. Soak everything in some diesel or kerosene for a day oil everything and reassemble. If the wood bothers you replace it. Load some cast and go enjoy.

06-30-2019, 09:37 AM
I'd try and get to the old guy and get the story before it's too late. Load with lighter loads and enjoy the treasure that it is. If you can get the info to the Firearms Museum in Cody, they could give you a manufacturers history - maybe even a first point of sale.

Texas by God
06-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Years ago my brother met a fly fishing guru in Almont, Colorado. Browning had presented him with 2 HiPower Safari bolt action rifles(FN Mauser). The man did not hunt. He loaned them out and apparently were put in cases wet. The soft cases had to be PEELED off of the rifles years later. They were both pitted heavily on one side and the stocks were "two tone". The man sold both cheaply to my brother. I had both bead blasted to remove the rust, refinished the stocks. I filled the pits with JBWELD, sanded flush, and painted the barreled actions with bbq grill paint. They were still ugly but serviceable. The 7mm mag went to a neighbor and the .338 mag went back to the mountains. Dang shame to neglect any gun much less a fine one. They dont get to look like the surface of the Moon with "honest use"!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

David LaPell
07-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Well, the parts came in for the 1894 and I put them on today. I didn't get to see a photo of the forearm, so I got a mix of Walnut and gumwood, but it will work for now. I also did take a little JB Weld and fill in the worst of the pitting, I know it probably won't add any strength to the barrel but it helps a little with the appearance. I am going to take a little bit of cold blue eventually and brown it a little but I am not going to go hog wild on it. I do plan on taking it to the range, hopefully very soon.

https://i.imgur.com/t8pPaJy.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/7qF4G1O.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/91jHH2T.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/VQkwUh5.jpg?1

Highway41
07-01-2019, 06:33 PM
I am not trying to start anything so just take my opinion for just that, my opinion. Filling the pits destroyed all the beauty and character of the rifle without adding anything of benefit.

That said it is your gun, enjoy.

Bazoo
07-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Ya know I hadn't thought of this till now. I bet it'd be neat to fill the pits with nickle solder. Thanks for keeping us updated. If it suits you to tinker on it, then I say you're doing the right thing. I'd like to think I'd leave it alone but really I'd end up tinkering on it too.

I think it looks better filled btw, looks like someone took a neglected rifle and loved it enough to clean it up. I wouldn't put any finish on it, but I like raw metal on a gun.

reddhawkk
07-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Great looking rifle, just what a lever rifle should look like. I just got a Winchester model 92 made in early 1900's that has the same character but without the pits. Anyway, I am looking for a used old stock and forearm for it as the previous owner put on a newer stock and it just doesn't look right. Nice buy and enjoy it by doing what you need to do to make it the way you want.

Hootmix
07-02-2019, 12:53 AM
ONE of the tricks i'v used w/ JB Weld on metal ,, is to add metal shavings from grinding's to my mix ,, yes it mill rust ,, some ,, but a touch of cold blue ( or plumb brown ) adds to the appearance and strength , fine sand before blueing.

Kev18
07-02-2019, 01:13 AM
Ya know I hadn't thought of this till now. I bet it'd be neat to fill the pits with nickle solder. Thanks for keeping us updated. If it suits you to tinker on it, then I say you're doing the right thing. I'd like to think I'd leave it alone but really I'd end up tinkering on it too.

I think it looks better filled btw, looks like someone took a neglected rifle and loved it enough to clean it up. I wouldn't put any finish on it, but I like raw metal on a gun.

Would that work? You just enlightened me. Would it stick/hold on the steel and withstand recoil? Also it should patina too right?

Bazoo
07-02-2019, 01:23 AM
I am not 100% sure Kev, but I think so. The rib on a double barrel as well as the lug for the forearm are soldered on, they hold fast. I had a mould that was given to me and it had a repair of nickle. It held up to repeated heating and whacks with a knocker I assume as I don't know the history full. I passed the mould on to another member who got it going.

David LaPell
07-03-2019, 09:57 PM
I decided today, whether hell or high water I was going to shoot the 1894.

I had some original Winchester factory ammo, and I shot it at 25 yards, the target on the left showed two rounds close together and one flyer, but still a 1-inch group. The target on the right was the rest of the ammo, notice the group in the upper left. That's a five shot group that's well under an inch. Not bad for this gun considering the outside of the barrel and what the rest of the gun looks like. Other than the feeding issue, this old rifle is a downright joy to shoot, it reminds me of the 1894 in .38-55 I had twenty years ago. I hunted with that gun, never got to take a deer with it, but you can bet I will be hunting with this gun even if I have to run it as a single shot.

https://i.imgur.com/utk9GZQ.jpg?1