PDA

View Full Version : The affliction claims another victim

Owens
10-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Not too long ago, I got into a little bit of light casting. You know a few bullets here and there.
Little did I know that I was fully infected. The diseasee grew and prospered. I am now a full fledged victim.

Recently it went to stage 3. Bought a burner base and iron pot. I'm addicited to the silver stream.

My source is range scrap from bullet traps of an indoor range. All the scrap is pre-fragmented. That is I don't have to worry about whole full-length gas checked slugs. Sort of puts me in the recycling business, as a good portion of the scrap was sent downrange by me.

Stage 1 of the affliction was a lee bottom pour, a mold and Lymann sizer and dies. Stage 2 added a Lymann ladle cast pot for refining the scrap, 2 more molds, ladle, ingot mold, Lee sizers, etc. Took too long to process using the Lymann pot way.

At this point I'm casting for 38/357, 45ACP and 45-70-500. Who knows whats next.

Along comes a Gander Mountain store near me, opened now about a year. To celebrate their first year, they sent me $20.00.

Gas burner from GM - $9.99.
Iron pot from Harbor Freight - $25.00
3 hours and 60 ingots later from a 5 gallon bucket of range scrap - Priceless!

Time to go get some more scrap - er, uh, reclaim my boolits.

Where does it all end? (other than hip deep in ingots and boolits) I'm currently thinking about trying some paper patching for the 45-70.

As a newly afflicted, I do have one question. I thought I had a good flux on it, but as I went to pour with the ladle, a grayish powder would form on top of the melt. I would flux and skim then have shiny melt. Make a pour with the iron ladel and the gray was back. Most of hte ingots came out frosted (too hot?) but as I have understood, that isn't a problem. Is the gray powder just from not fluxing enough or something else?

Guess I need to get a good thermometer.

This is a great place. Hard to believe there is so much good info in one place.

Owens

Leadforbrains
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Yep my addiction has grown alot since smelting my first bucket of wheel weights. This place has changed my shooting and reloading hobby for the better. I Can't answer many Questions as I am a newbie to this. Any surface junk that gets accumulated to the point that I can't cast gets the flux treatment and whats left gets skimmed. I am sure someone here will be able to give you some better answers. This is a great place for learning.
Welcome aboard:drinks:

454PB
10-26-2008, 10:02 PM
That gray powder is oxidation, and impossible to eliminate. It can be minimized by fluxing and then leaving the dross on the surface as an oxygen barrier. Some casters use kitty litter to do the same thing. Dipper casting actually causes faster drossing because you are constantly stirring the melt and exposing it to more oxygen, plus some of the dross collects in the dipper. With a bottom draw pot, the surface is not disturbed and thus builds dross more slowly.

Buckshot
10-27-2008, 01:22 AM
"With a bottom draw pot, the surface is not disturbed and thus builds dross more slowly."

..............Yup, and once the layer forms the oxidation will end unless the barrier layer is disturbed (as you mentioned re: ladle casting). However, even in a bottom draw pot, as the lead level lowers, the barrier has a tendancy to stick to the pot walls and it gets pulled off the surface, so more forms.

...............Buckshot

shotman
10-27-2008, 02:34 AM
sounds like you have a fan near by. The gray is ok just dont let pot get low and get the film in the pour hole. shotman

missionary5155
10-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Hey OWENS Greetings and WELCOME !!
First this is not a disease.. we are not aflicted... (maybe not the best spellers)
WE are PRACTICLE.... We are Self Sufficient... We are Thrifty... We are Experimenters... We are Historians.. We are Innovaters.. We are Arqelogical Restorers.. We are everything that makes our country the greatest place to live on our ROCK.
Vocabulary is very important !

Owens
10-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Well folks, all I can say is thanks for the good info. Figured I'd get an answer here. Bunch of smart folks in this place.

I did have a fan, 2 actually. 1 behind me and one on the other side of the pot drawing away.

Thanks to all.
Owens

Chunky Monkey
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I hear ya Owens. I too have been infected with the same virus. Thank the good lord for this forum and the members here! Without it I would still be buyin my boolits and not having nearly as much fun.

Thanks Cast Boolits!! :drinks: