PDA

View Full Version : Seller need to know their merchandise

Sig556r
06-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Was in a local gun show last weekend window-shopping some lever guns when I came across an old '94 in decent form. I asked the old feller if I can handle & check it out, but he replied, I can answer anything you need to know without handling it. OK, don't see anything special with it compared to other displays for him to avoid potential buyers to handle, but I politely asked what caliber & he replied its an old cartridge 30WCF stenciled in the barrel, they don't make those anymore...You mean 30-30? I asked, he said rudely no! there weren't any 30-30s back in those days, its a 30 Winchester Center Fire!...I decided to bite my lips & walk...
maybe he's having a bad day or wasn't hug much in childhood...
the difference between genius & stupidity is that the latter is limitless...smh

timspawn
06-24-2019, 01:42 PM
People like him are why I don't go to gun shows anymore.

trebor44
06-24-2019, 02:29 PM
May the gun gods forgive me for running 30-30 ammo thru my 30 WCF marked Winchester 94!

William Yanda
06-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Was it priced as unobtanium or as a relic for which ammunition is no longer available?

Sig556r
06-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Was it priced as unobtanium or as a relic for which ammunition is no longer available?

It was post-64 so wasn't interested anyways, but I left smh & so are the folks browsing at his other stuff...
Half of my interest in going to gunshows are conversations made with people who share my passion...

Kev18
06-24-2019, 03:24 PM
This happens to me all the time. Sellers see that im young and try to pass me false info or try to make me believe random stuff.
I asked a seller to see a winchester 1886 ( i own the same one) and he just looked at me and said "no." Because im young, they assume I dont have alot of money. They aren't wrong but if I want something il buy it...
One time everyone was just starinig me down because I smacked 3000$ down on a table for a winchester 1873. For them: Young=No money.

LUBEDUDE
06-24-2019, 04:15 PM
This happens to me all the time. Sellers see that im young and try to pass me false info or try to make me believe random stuff.
I asked a seller to see a winchester 1886 ( i own the same one) and he just looked at me and said "no." Because im young, they assume I dont have alot of money. They aren't wrong but if I want something il buy it...
One time everyone was just starinig me down because I smacked 3000$ down on a table for a winchester 1873. For them: Young=No money.

That failed intimidation and lack of respect brought back memories of when I started going to gun shows as well.

The thing was, I had/have a good memory for faces. I never stopped/stop at their tables again, even with a wad of cash on me. And as you know, some of these vendors sell for decades. Just think of the other potential gun addicts they have chased away over the years. Just like throwing money away.

Petrol & Powder
06-24-2019, 06:27 PM
When it comes to firearms some of the most ignorant people I've encountered are the ones selling the guns.

georgerkahn
06-24-2019, 06:46 PM
I was at a show maybe three years (?) back, where a seller had a Model 8 Remington in quite used, but not abused shape, priced at the upper limits of what I felt it was worth. I made a note of it, this on Saturday morning, without even making an offer. A friend rang that evening, asking me if I wanted to go with him on Sunday afternoon, so I said, OK -- maybe that Model 8's still there, and seller may very well drop the price a tad, rather than pack and take it back the 230 miles from whence he came. "No! the tag is exactly what I have in it -- but I'll tell you what -- I'll throw in a couple of boxes of ammo if you buy it, and I will pay the sales tax if you pay in cash money." The wheels were starting to turn when he put two yellow boxes of .30-30 Winchester ammo on the table next to it. From me, "Uh...sir...this firearm is chambered for '.30-30 Remington' -- A RIMLESS VERSION of the Winchester .30-30". "Yes -- you're right, he countered -- see, the ammo here is made by Remington for it."
I kind of chuckled to myself.... I wonder if he still has it? Bion, he represented a fairly huge shop in a city...
geo

Thomas Creek
06-24-2019, 07:15 PM
One of todays challenges when looking at older firearms. The new crowd - well if not black and plastic looking don't really care to learn about these products. Of course a good can be had once in while as a result.

swheeler
06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
I figured a post 64 would be marked 30-30

Winger Ed.
06-24-2019, 07:48 PM

That's about where I'm at.

We've always heard that the line between a genius and a idiot is very small.
I've never found that to be true.

Sig556r
06-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Good question, wasn't able to closely look at the barrel markings. May have been a pre-64 if S/N was below 1,800,000, but who knows if I missed a rare chance.
For what I recall, Marlin started using 30-30 in their 93s to match BP naming convention & to delineate from rival Winchester...so not really sure when Winchester started using the popular 30-30 term.
A guru here may chime in...

swheeler
06-25-2019, 10:35 AM
I almost think I remember my mothers 1952 M94 was marked 30-30, not postive but pretty darn sure it was?

jimlj
06-25-2019, 11:17 AM

I had the same thoughts, so I opened up the safe to look at my 30-30's. One was built in 1898 and is marked 30 WCF. The other was built in 1967 and is marked 30-30 Win. Not sure when Winchester dropped the WCF designation, but sometime in the 69 years between my rifles.

Shawlerbrook
06-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Some people couldn’t sell life rafts in a flood.

georgerkahn
06-25-2019, 11:40 AM
I had the same thoughts, so I opened up the safe to look at my 30-30's. One was built in 1898 and is marked 30 WCF. The other was built in 1967 and is marked 30-30 Win. Not sure when Winchester dropped the WCF designation, but sometime in the 99 years between my rifles.

To my understanding, in 1906 Remington Arms came out with a rim-less version (so to speak) of the .30WCF -- introduced a decade earlier -- for their Model 8, 14, and other firearms of their manufacture, with designation as ".30-30 REM" / "30-30 Remington" -- photo attached. Too often troubles betwixt this and the Winchester version 244110, the .30WCF became called/referred to/known as the "30-30 Winchester" -- again, primarily to differentiate it from its Remington counterpart. The .30 Rem pretty much faded into oblivion, while the "30-30 Winchester" and/or, just, "30-30" with Winchester assumed and or implied. So prevalent, and, I believe to keep pace with other manufacturers using the "30-30 Win" markings, the .30WCF markings were replaced.

Texas by God
06-25-2019, 11:56 AM
George- that pic is not a .30 Remington Rimless. It closely resembles a rimless 30-30 Winchester.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
06-25-2019, 01:02 PM
If i can't pick it up and look for myself i don't need to know anything i just walk away. I understand running into a youngster in a gun store might not know much he's starting out. But when its an old fellow especially at a gun show well thats just stupidity. Although after asking the caliber i might have had to mess with him just a bit. You know can you still get ammo reloading supplies. How does this caliber compare to say the 30/30. I probably just couldn't help myself.

gwpercle
06-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Was in a local gun show last weekend window-shopping some lever guns when I came across an old '94 in decent form. I asked the old feller if I can handle & check it out, but he replied, I can answer anything you need to know without handling it. OK, don't see anything special with it compared to other displays for him to avoid potential buyers to handle, but I politely asked what caliber & he replied its an old cartridge 30WCF stenciled in the barrel, they don't make those anymore...You mean 30-30? I asked, he said rudely no! there weren't any 30-30s back in those days, its a 30 Winchester Center Fire!...I decided to bite my lips & walk...
maybe he's having a bad day or wasn't hug much in childhood...

He was just suffering from an attack of the screaming stoopids ! At his age it is probably terminal ...
No cure , so sad .

Sig556r
06-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Exactly what I was thinking but I restraint myself...could've been a nice argument to win but I choose my battles...funny how his stern demeanor & I-know-better confidence would have crumbled had he just googled or wiki'd it...

fatelk
06-25-2019, 02:16 PM
It’s not just gun shows, by any means. I was at a gun shop once, years ago, and came across a mis-marked rifle on the used rack. I politely asked about it and mentioned that I didn’t think it was what he thought it was. He very stern and rude, how dare I question him? If that’s what it said on the tag, then that’s what it is!

Ok, fine, if that’s how it is. Can’t say I didn’t give him a chance. I quickly and happily paid the asking price of $125, then eventually sold it again for the $800 it was worth.

georgerkahn
06-25-2019, 03:30 PM
George- that pic is not a .30 Remington Rimless. It closely resembles a rimless 30-30 Winchester.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sir (Texas by God) -- I Googled .30 Remington, and pasted the photo they presented. It looks pretty close to mine, and seemed easier than gimping down to load room with my bum leg to take a picture. A fellow I know turns the rims down on his lathe to make .30-30Winchester fit and fire in his Model 14 Remington in their .30-30 Remington caliber, and pretty much everything I read on subject suggests loading for the two different calibers is identical. I went to another site, and here are pix of both the .30-30 Winchester, and, the .30 Remington. I apologize if I pasted a photo another passed on as the correct one for .30 Rem. I do have a fair collection of cartridges in this caliber, and perhaps next time I'm down stairs -- I'll photo a couple.
THANK YOU, apologies if I goofed, and best! geo244125244127

blackthorn
06-25-2019, 03:41 PM
I have a 30 Remington pump action. The cartridges for it are (except for the rim), identical. Mine has a spiral magazine tube and apparently it off-sets the cartridges so you can use pointed projectiles in it. That said, all of the factory ammunition I was able to find (years ago) is round nosed just like the Winchester 30-30. Nice little Deer gun.

gbrown
06-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Most of the articles I've seen about the Winchester suggest the name change, from 30 WCF to 30-30 came around 1950. Still, I've seen nothing really definitive about it. About the same time, Winchester changed a couple of other caliber names, IIRC, they were 32 w.s. and the 25-35. I'm not positive of all this, just what I've heard from people who supposedly well versed in Winchester history. I have Dad's Model 94 in 30 WCF which he got used in the 30's. According to serial number records I've looked up, it was made in 1924. He was a superintendent of construction back in the 50's for a local company and they paid their workers in cash. He carried it behind the seat of his company truck, magazine full, chamber empty. My uncle was a ranch foreman in West Texas and carried his chambered for varmits. My aunt found him by the truck on the ground shot through the chest out on the ranch. Rifle still hung in the seat springs. Sad stuff.

Kev18
06-25-2019, 04:52 PM
That failed intimidation and lack of respect brought back memories of when I started going to gun shows as well.

The thing was, I had/have a good memory for faces. I never stopped/stop at their tables again, even with a wad of cash on me. And as you know, some of these vendors sell for decades. Just think of the other potential gun addicts they have chased away over the years. Just like throwing money away.

Im still quite young. So I get alot of these. Next show il go to is July 20th. Il see how it goes. Im 22 now...

Smoke4320
06-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Seen stupid from dealers and customers ..
learned a long time ago if I don't know about something keep my mouth shut or ask/research first

Petrol & Powder
06-25-2019, 06:33 PM
The stories are endless but here's one:

A guy I knew had come into possession of a CZ52 pistol. He was a former Marine and therefore he knew everything there was to know about firearms. .

He said the pistol was a Soviet Tokarev. I said it was a Czechoslovakian pistol, specifically a CZ52 and it was chambered for the Tokarev cartridge. He countered that it was a Tokarev pistol. I just gave up.

fatelk
06-25-2019, 07:18 PM
To my understanding, in 1906 Remington Arms came out with a rim-less version (so to speak) of the .30WCF -- introduced a decade earlier -- for their Model 8, 14, and other firearms of their manufacture, with designation as ".30-30 REM" / "30-30 Remington" -- photo attached. Too often troubles betwixt this and the Winchester version 244110, the .30WCF became called/referred to/known as the "30-30 Winchester" -- again, primarily to differentiate it from its Remington counterpart. The .30 Rem pretty much faded into oblivion, while the "30-30 Winchester" and/or, just, "30-30" with Winchester assumed and or implied. So prevalent, and, I believe to keep pace with other manufacturers using the "30-30 Win" markings, the .30WCF markings were replaced.

I'm confused. The cartridge in that photo looks more like a .223 Remington to me. Am I missing something?

am44mag
06-25-2019, 07:36 PM
I had a shop try to sell me a Yugo SKS that bubba had painted black (everything, even the wood) for over $400. This was back when you could get a decent AK for $400, and a decent SKS for under $300 if you shopped around. I passed.

I had a guy try to trade me what was left of a horribly rusted Lee Enfield for my PPS-43C. I declined that offer. I later sold that PPS-43C for cash and bought a very nice No. 4 Mk 1* with the proceeds.

Hickok
06-25-2019, 08:49 PM
My Winchester 1894 was made in 1948, and it is stamped 30 WCF. Just sayin'

nvbirdman
06-25-2019, 10:22 PM
A guy in our gun club mentioned a .38 Winchester Center Fire. I said "Oh, 38-40". He corrected me and said no, 38WCF, and then went to talk to somebody else that knew what he was talking about.

lead-1
06-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Sorry a little different gun but same idea. Several years ago I was in a friends gun store when he got a call, someone was in need of some money and offered him a shotgun for $250. He repeated what the guy was telling him and told the guy he would have to decline the offer. The guy was offering a 1970's Remington 870 in 16 ga. that was never fired and had the box and all papers, I told him I could've made a phone call and made him at least 150 profit on the gun that day. When I ask why he declined the deal he told me that Remington never made a 16 ga. 870 so I showed him them in the blue book and he didn't look too well for a while. Super nice guy but sometimes he didn't think things through.

jimlj
06-26-2019, 12:51 AM
Seen stupid from dealers and customers ..
learned a long time ago if I don't know about something keep my mouth shut or ask/research first
Sometimes it's better to remain quiet and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. At least that is what I was told a long time ago. I have been around a lot of people who haven't had this wisdom passed on to them.

georgerkahn
06-26-2019, 08:00 AM
"Sometimes it's better to remain quiet and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. At least that is what I was told a long time ago. I have been around a lot of people who haven't had this wisdom passed on to them."

(I) don't know if above wisdom had been passed on to me -- but, hopefully (thanks!) now it has been! :) I love it... how very true, too.

geo

Bent Ramrod
06-26-2019, 11:32 AM
To me, the oddballs, crackpots, blowhards and know-it-alls are just a cherished part of the Gun Show entertainment experience.

A friend and I would go in for a table once in a while, and he would put his 1921 Thompson on the table as a display, to attract potential customers for the Stuff we were trying to unload. One of the steady attractees looked like the cartoonist R. Crumb; 98 lbs soaking wet and coke-bottle hornrims. But he always carried a year’s worth of Soldier of Fortune magazines under his arm, and from the way he talked, he’d just come back from Katanga Province to spend his Krugerrands on R&R. Never had quite enough left to afford a Thompson for himself, but the next Mission would do it for sure.

This went on for a couple years, then he disappeared. There used to be tables where you could buy washers, screens and sockets. Then on the next table, you could buy tubes and end caps. If you bought from both tables and put it all together, it was an unregistered Silencer, which would attract the ATF. He’d reportedly done so; I prefer to believe he’s living in a Compound in the mountains in Cameroon, and the tribes he liberated (single-handedly, of course) worship him as a God.

Then there was ol’ Half-Moon Dave, who always had a lot of Cool Stuff on his table. If you looked at it too long without pulling out a wad of bills, (about 70 seconds, IIRC), he would give you the “Go ‘way, boy; ya bother me” routine. Didn’t stop me from buying a couple things from him that (unaccountably) were marked down into “my” price range.

“It’s Business, Sonny; not Personal,” as I recall my Consiglieri saying.

Some of those people I regard as Collector’s Items in a different venue than strictly guns&gun stuff. The guy who had a Ruger No. 3 in .30-40 Krag whose stock had been Bubbafied to where it actually looked worse than the factory stock; a noteworthy achievement. He had also, for unknown reasons, sawed the curlicue off the end of the lever.

I thought maybe this thoroughly ruined specimen might serve as the beginning of a decent project, if I could get it for what it was worth. When I asked the price, I was quoted a figure that was between the upper limit on a No. 3 and the lower limit on a No. 1.

I asked him why it was going for so much, and he told me it was a rare factory variant. “It’s a Ruger No. 2,” he said, solemnly, one “advanced collector” to another.

I thanked him and found myself grinning and smirking for the rest of the day. Definitely worth the price of admission. :mrgreen:

15meter
06-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Stopped at one peddlers table who was selling his homemade Tannerite for a ridiculous about of money.

He started a sales spiel about how his was the best/loudest/brightest/slices/dices/makes julienne fries, but wait there's MORE.

When he ran out of breath I said if I wanted some I'd just make it my self at 5% of his asking price.

Then he really got wound up and started a whole complete lecture about how the ingredients were top secret and were among some of the most DEADLY chemicals known to man and if I even had them in my house my family and myself were DOOMED! He was still going on as my buddy and I walked away.

Didn't want to give him apoplexy if I asked how he was still alive after handling and packaging all the inventory he had on his table and how the show would even allow him to have such deadly chemicals sitting out in the open for anyone to pickup and handle.

Logic and reason are usually the mortal enemies of guys like that.

15meter
06-26-2019, 04:58 PM
Stopped in the Gander Mountain on the west side of Toledo when they tried to be a firearms only store. They had what I remember to be a Winchester 35 Self Loading Rifle.

I asked to see it and the clerk hand it to me, I looked at the hang tag and it listed 35 Remington as the caliber. I pointed out how the barrel was not marked 35 Remington. He then got out a cartridges of the world and looked up both 35 Remington and 35SL Winchester, he agreed with me that it was indeed marked wrong.

When I handed it back to him he turned around, put it back on the rack with out any effort to correct it or to leave a note on the gun that it was mis-marked. He then ambled off down towards the other end of the counter where an old coot wouldn't be trying to make work for him.

Wonder where he ended up after they closed the store. Asking would you like fry's with that order?

MT Gianni
06-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Stopped in the Gander Mountain on the west side of Toledo when they tried to be a firearms only store. They had what I remember to be a Winchester 35 Self Loading Rifle.

I asked to see it and the clerk hand it to me, I looked at the hang tag and it listed 35 Remington as the caliber. I pointed out how the barrel was not marked 35 Remington. He then got out a cartridges of the world and looked up both 35 Remington and 35SL Winchester, he agreed with me that it was indeed marked wrong.

When I handed it back to him he turned around, put it back on the rack with out any effort to correct it or to leave a note on the gun that it was mis-marked. He then ambled off down towards the other end of the counter where an old coot wouldn't be trying to make work for him.

Wonder where he ended up after they closed the store. Asking would you like fry's with that order?

It could have been that his boss told him repeatedly to never mess with the labels. I have been employed by fools and I did not run them down where it could get back to them.

Land Owner
06-29-2019, 10:43 PM
An internet tee shirt declares
I am not the Foreman. My ideas make sense.I suppose a tee shirt like that would tend to get one fired a lot.

Walks
06-29-2019, 11:46 PM
I'm in the process of returning my 3rd mismarked/mislabeled RUGER. 22LR Cylinder.
It was actually another .22 MAGNUM CYLINDER.

IS EVERYBODY ON FLEABAY, STUPID OR JUST LAZY ?

About 12yrs ago I bought an old Ruger 3-Screw Single-Six in .22LR, or so l was led to believe. Sales guy popped the Cylinder out and showed me a .22Mag wouldn't fit. It was a fluted cylinder without serial numbers. And the Revolver was only marked; Ruger. 22CAL, so it went home with me. Cleaed it and shot it a few weeks later. Imagine my surprise when the .22LR cases feel out split all the way to the rim.
Took it back the next day with the split cases.
Was told all sales were final, I answered I was defrauded. Was told to look at the Revolver and Reciept. Both said .22CAL. Period.
They would send it back to RUGER FOR me to have a .22LR Cylinder fitted, just pay Them $150.00

I've tried to find one on fleabay.

Dumb idiots don't bother to check, or lie or are just plain stupid and lazy.
One guy insisted it had to be .22LR because it was fluted. Magnum Cylinders are all unfluted. Tried to explain RUGER sold both .22LR Revolvers and .22Mag Revolvers separately in the Old Model. And both Cylinders were fluted. He called me a Liar. I sent back his cylinder with an empty .22Mag case. He claimed I cheated him. I answered that if only .22LR cylinders were fluted, how was did "Excellent Condition" Cylinder accept .22Mag cases.
Fleabay believed me, I got my full refund.

Wish the .22WRF Cartridge would fire in the gun, I've got 200 rds and no gun to shoot in it.

Some folks just won't believe the truth if you beat them with it.

Kev18
06-30-2019, 01:02 AM
To me, the oddballs, crackpots, blowhards and know-it-alls are just a cherished part of the Gun Show entertainment experience.

A friend and I would go in for a table once in a while, and he would put his 1921 Thompson on the table as a display, to attract potential customers for the Stuff we were trying to unload. One of the steady attractees looked like the cartoonist R. Crumb; 98 lbs soaking wet and coke-bottle hornrims. But he always carried a year’s worth of Soldier of Fortune magazines under his arm, and from the way he talked, he’d just come back from Katanga Province to spend his Krugerrands on R&R. Never had quite enough left to afford a Thompson for himself, but the next Mission would do it for sure.

This went on for a couple years, then he disappeared. There used to be tables where you could buy washers, screens and sockets. Then on the next table, you could buy tubes and end caps. If you bought from both tables and put it all together, it was an unregistered Silencer, which would attract the ATF. He’d reportedly done so; I prefer to believe he’s living in a Compound in the mountains in Cameroon, and the tribes he liberated (single-handedly, of course) worship him as a God.

Then there was ol’ Half-Moon Dave, who always had a lot of Cool Stuff on his table. If you looked at it too long without pulling out a wad of bills, (about 70 seconds, IIRC), he would give you the “Go ‘way, boy; ya bother me” routine. Didn’t stop me from buying a couple things from him that (unaccountably) were marked down into “my” price range.

“It’s Business, Sonny; not Personal,” as I recall my Consiglieri saying.

Some of those people I regard as Collector’s Items in a different venue than strictly guns&gun stuff. The guy who had a Ruger No. 3 in .30-40 Krag whose stock had been Bubbafied to where it actually looked worse than the factory stock; a noteworthy achievement. He had also, for unknown reasons, sawed the curlicue off the end of the lever.

I thought maybe this thoroughly ruined specimen might serve as the beginning of a decent project, if I could get it for what it was worth. When I asked the price, I was quoted a figure that was between the upper limit on a No. 3 and the lower limit on a No. 1.

I asked him why it was going for so much, and he told me it was a rare factory variant. “It’s a Ruger No. 2,” he said, solemnly, one “advanced collector” to another.

I thanked him and found myself grinning and smirking for the rest of the day. Definitely worth the price of admission. :mrgreen:

I thought I was the only one that had adventures at those shoes. I learn something new everyday on here. I love reading all of these too!

Kev18
06-30-2019, 01:13 AM
Not all experiences are bad. My first gun I bought myself. A Winchester 1886 in 40-82 made in 1888-1889. Button mag, octagon barrel. A pretty rare variant.

I went to the local gun store in between classes in college 4 years ago. I asked to see used lever guns and that one was laying on the floor. I asked to see it. So he handed it over. I didnt know much about these rifles back then so I asked how much. He said " man my employee paid way to much for it, its 300$. Its a project gun, its old and rusty. Should be fun getting it running."
We later settled for 275$ if I remember correctly.

The rifle has a few pits and surface rust.

I went to a good gunsmith a year later after shooting it myself to see if everything was still in good shape on the inside. Turns out the owner's son was there that collects Winchesters. He flew out from behind the counter when he saw the rifle.

he asked what I wanted, so I said a good cleaning and inspection. He didnt hesitate to say right away. "If you want to sell it, before cleaning, in this condition, i'd give you 3000$ right now."

Needless to say, its my favorite gun! I shoot it all the time. I also love the story I got with it!

PS: I still go back to the shop. They know me now. I think the owner realized what he sold me years ago! :)

flyingmonkey35
06-30-2019, 03:22 AM
never trust a Cliff Claven when we all carry Google in your pocket.

more then once I have pulled out my cellphone and double checked a fact. or ran a process check on gun broker.

man sometimes they get pissed. others the fix it on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

richhodg66
06-30-2019, 10:58 PM
As soon as the guy said I couldn't look at it, I'd have walked without saying another word.

I do remember the occasional gun show vendor being condescending to ne when I was young. A lot of older people do. But I don't remember too many. By and large, I have found gun show types to be good people. I like gun shows and try to get to as many as I can, especially the small town ones around here where folks seem a lot more interested in socializing than selling stuff. More interesting stuff too. No dealers with tables of new auto pistols and black rifles, good old stuff.

When I was newly away from home and away from Dad, one of my favorite haunts around Fort Bliss was Starkey's Gun Shop out in north east El Paso, I doubt it's still there, been about 30 years. They had a lot of old guns and a big corner with old reloading and bullet casting stuff strewn around. I used to go in there a lot and paw through things. Mr. Starkey was always real nice to me and spoke to me about guns like I was an adult who knew about them, which I was, but most wouldn't have thought so. I actually learned a lot in that place from a few old timers. Places like that are getting few and far between.

Funny, gun shows are one of the few places where I still seem to be in the low end of the age range (I'm 53). A couple of years ago, when I was getting into cast in .22 Hornet. An older gentleman, well into his '70s was talking with a friend, not real interested in selling the stuff on his table it seemed, when I stopped to look very closely at a pristine Winchester 43 he had. He paused from his conversation and asked "you know what you're looking at (I don't think he said "sonny" but it certainly came through)?" I immediately replied with "yes, it's a Winchester Model 43. Is it a .22 Hornet or a .218 Bee"? He looked genuinely surprised and then slowly smiled and we talked quite a while about cast loads in the Hornet and how I should go about it, he even told me that if I was looking for a serious shooter, I'd be better served with a CZ 527. Good experience all around, but I suspect if I hadn't established that I was knowledgeable right away, the attitudes would have been different.

am44mag
07-01-2019, 02:09 AM
Good experience all around, but I suspect if I hadn't established that I was knowledgeable right away, the attitudes would have been different.

I find it a crying shame that things are like that. I understand there's a lot of stupid out there, but it sure makes it hard for us younger gun guys when people automatically assume we don't know a muzzle from a butt. It almost makes it to where you don't even want to talk to anyone.

Land Owner
07-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Manners in America are on the wane. There is too much callousness that has been achieved through the BOOB TUBE. Folks are not as friendly anymore...at least not in big cities and urbanized areas.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-01-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm in the process of returning my 3rd mismarked/mislabeled RUGER. 22LR Cylinder.
It was actually another .22 MAGNUM CYLINDER.

IS EVERYBODY ON FLEABAY, STUPID OR JUST LAZY ?

About 12yrs ago I bought an old Ruger 3-Screw Single-Six in .22LR, or so l was led to believe. Sales guy popped the Cylinder out and showed me a .22Mag wouldn't fit. It was a fluted cylinder without serial numbers. And the Revolver was only marked; Ruger. 22CAL, so it went home with me. Cleaed it and shot it a few weeks later. Imagine my surprise when the .22LR cases feel out split all the way to the rim.
Took it back the next day with the split cases.
Was told all sales were final, I answered I was defrauded. Was told to look at the Revolver and Reciept. Both said .22CAL. Period.
They would send it back to RUGER FOR me to have a .22LR Cylinder fitted, just pay Them $150.00

I've tried to find one on fleabay.

Dumb idiots don't bother to check, or lie or are just plain stupid and lazy.
One guy insisted it had to be .22LR because it was fluted. Magnum Cylinders are all unfluted. Tried to explain RUGER sold both .22LR Revolvers and .22Mag Revolvers separately in the Old Model. And both Cylinders were fluted. He called me a Liar. I sent back his cylinder with an empty .22Mag case. He claimed I cheated him. I answered that if only .22LR cylinders were fluted, how was did "Excellent Condition" Cylinder accept .22Mag cases.
Fleabay believed me, I got my full refund.

Wish the .22WRF Cartridge would fire in the gun, I've got 200 rds and no gun to shoot in it.

Some folks just won't believe the truth if you beat them with it.

walks, I bought a stainless Single Six in 1972. It had two cylinders, one in 22 mag with unfluted cylinder and a 22 LR with flutes. many years later I bought another Single Six and I just realized a few weeks ago it came with two 22 LR cylinders. I bought it from a friends estate. Apparently he never noticed. His wife told me she had bought it for him as a gift. I doubt he ever shot it.

fatelk
07-01-2019, 08:04 PM
walks, I bought a stainless Single Six in 1972. It had two cylinders, one in 22 mag with unfluted cylinder and a 22 LR with flutes. many years later I bought another Single Six and I just realized a few weeks ago it came with two 22 LR cylinders. I bought it from a friends estate. Apparently he never noticed. His wife told me she had bought it for him as a gift. I doubt he ever shot it.

Sounds like you guys might want to consider a trade...

snowwolfe
07-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Classic reasons why gun shows are becoming less and less popular. Most of the conversations seem to center around "mine is bigger than yours" with an extra heaping of testerone tossed it to make it even more stimulating.

Rufus Krile
07-01-2019, 10:41 PM
I, too, have a Model 14 Remington in 30 Rem caliber. It was my grandfather's, and I'm now 72yrs old so you can get a feel for what has happened with the the caliber. You have to be real careful when ordering 30Rem ammo since NOW, in their infinite wisdom, have created a NEW 30Rem (AR) to fit the black gun platform. Sales, don't you know...