PDA

View Full Version : Novelty Targets: ideas needed

redgum
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Well it's time to start preparing for the Christmas novelty shoot again and I'm looking for any and all ideas for novelty targets. We have a 50 yard and 2 x 25 yard ranges and we shoot handgun, shotgun and rifle (.22 & pistol calibres)
There is a bank of plates and half a dozen "pepper-poppers" but I'm looking for fun ideas that will hopefully spark some enthusiasm. ......any help appreciated :-D

fishhawk
10-26-2008, 06:32 PM
well...eggs work ya miss ya suck the egg...charcoal briquets as targets...balloon at 50 yards on a string in the wind with a .22--- split the bullet on a axe and break 2 targets

WildmanJack
10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
One time I used Pictures of my ex-wife, and my ex-mother in law. Problem was nobody would shoot at anything else!!! They said they had never seen anything so scary !!!!
LOL

Jack

Johnch
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Ice cubes
As the guys miss they melt and get tougher

Also at our range we put a 2"x2" exploding target square behind the back of a steel plate
That has a small hole in it , about 3/4" , but the hole size is up to you
It is about 1' behind to reduce the splatter efect on the target square

We use this at 50 yds for off hand 22 rifle and anything else people want to shoot at it

Sure know when someone scores a hit

We got the idea from another club using clay targets behind a steel target with a 10ring hole
The kids realy love either the clay target breaking or the BOOM !!

John

Blammer
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
golf balls, plastic pop bottle on a string, make it dance, old shotgun hulls on a fence.

of course you hve to pick them all up later.

mold maker
10-26-2008, 07:46 PM
The free intrenet provider CD on fishing line.

DragoonDrake
10-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't know, I always liked shooting the old christmas orniments. Put them on a string in the wind at 25 yards and shoot with a 22pistol. Good memories

Adam

Scrounger
10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I bought some neat gadgets from Midway, made by MTM. Metal rod sticks into the ground, there is a holder on top that holds clay pigeons. Break the clays, put new ones in. The broken clays melt into the soil after a few rains. They look pretty much like the picture below but MTM doesn't seem to make them anymore...

Scrounger
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Guy I know moved to Colorado. He says they have dynamite shoots there. They put a quarter stick of dynamite out about 3 or 4 hundred yards and shoot at it for money. I imagine it is more complicated than simply laying the dynamite down. I'll be greatly surprised if someone here hasn't done that and can tell us all about it. When I was younger and dumber, I drilled holes in bullet noses and stuck primers in them. Never could tell if it worked or not. I also shot primers in an air rifle against a block wall. That works. I taped one of those exploding targets to one of the Styrofoam heads people put wigs on. That worked too, target lost its head.

Scrounger
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
One time I used Pictures of my ex-wife, and my ex-mother in law. Problem was nobody would shoot at anything else!!! They said they had never seen anything so scary !!!!
LOL

Jack

Speaking of which... Is anyone using Obama targets? I don't have Obama but I have one similar if you know what I mean, and I won't post it here but I'll be glad to send an email copy to anyone who wants it.

MT Gianni
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Do not shoot at a used can of expanding foam for filling cracks. Don't ask me how I know.

DragoonDrake
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
why mt

mooman76
10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
If you get with the BP shooters they come up with some real fun shoots. There's the spliting the bullet at a double bladed axe. Up close of coarse and you staple paper to either side so you can see if someone split the but on both sides. Have a turkey shoot but you tie it up( a frosen turkey) with string and the winner is the one that cuts the string. We did a playing card where you use your knife or similar object to hold the card in place. The winner is the one that comes closest without destroying the knife. Or you can tack up your hat and the one that comes closest without hitting it. Also a relay we ran was in a team you took turns shooting at a block of wood on a string and the winner was the first team to cut the block of wood in half. You could set bottles up to see who could shoot through a bottle and blow the back out without hitting the rest of the bottle. Just a couple ideas!

MT Gianni
10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
why mt

We picked up foam peanuts for an hour after a friends son decided it would be cool to shoot at. They were my range "guests" at the time and I was in the can when he thought it would be OK. AS we were the only ones there it worked out but was a pain.

Echo
10-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Make a 4x4 matrix of charcoal briquettes on a large sheet of paper - 3" between CB's. Have a 'Team match' (2-man teams) with 22's @ 25 yds and can use all the ammo you wish. Winning team is the one that breaks all 16 (or 25!) in the shortest time. Gets HECTIC when down to 2 or 3 CB's.

oldhickory
10-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Suspended from wires...Clay pigeons, water filled cans, tile, 4" pieces of 2x4, small sections of drywall, (it "poofs" when you hit it), small clay pots, a 1'x3' piece of drywall hanging side ways suspended by a wire on each upper corner, a piece of electrial tape down the center, try and cut it in half.

Necco wafers, cookies, candy suspended from fishing line.

Bret4207
10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
I seriously would avoid any targets involving the Democratic party candidate. I think you could get away with it with Bush, Cheney, McCain or Palin but I really, seriously think an Obama representation could get you in some hot water. Thats said with all politics aside and in complete seriousness. The rules are different when it comes to The Messaih.

dale2242
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Necco candy wafers held with thumbtacks a 8 and 4 o`clock. May be an inch in diameter. Try them at 50 yds for 22 RF rifles and 25 yds for hand guns.---dale

MT Gianni
10-27-2008, 09:38 AM
The stake shoot is always fun at Winnemucca. get a piece of plywood or chip board [osb in the USA] cut it 6" wide and 4' tall. Put a brace on it or put it in a stand and paint a 2" line across it. With handguns shoot until it breaks at the line.

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
The democrat this lives next to you!

MtGun44
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
+1 for Necco wafers. The two kids that I have been taking to the range love to
shoot for the Neccos, although it is still a very tough challenge for them (age 11)
at 25 yds.

Bill

Dave Berryhill
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
For serious accuracy matches, glue aspirins to cardboard.

Bret4207
10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Ritz crackers. Neco wafers are non-existent around here.

wiljen
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Shave cream cans at 50 yards with a Handgun or levergun make spectacular showers when hit.

Kids love em, just be sure to clean up all the pieces.