PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute To The 1911

Der Gebirgsjager
06-23-2019, 12:06 PM
There's currently a thread about the Beretta 92, M-9 pistols. I didn't want to hijack the thread, so thought I'd try to make a point with a different thread.

I am not a 92 hater, or even a disparager, but was around them and handled them from the time that they first appeared on the U.S. gun market. I made the determination that they didn't fit my hand well, and had a long stretch of the trigger finger to fire them double action. The originals had a heel clip magazine release, also something that didn't appeal to me, and although I have at least a dozen pistols in 9x19mm Luger I've never been as enamored of the cartridge as I am the .45 ACP. Nevertheless, the 92 achieved great success as both a military and police weapon, and that can not be denied.

But, it is interesting to note that the 1911 remains extremely popular, and I'd wager that the civilian sales of the old, obsolete 1911 still outstrip those of the 92. Copies and clones of the 1911 abound, but this is not the case with the 92. In fact, even during the military tenure of the 92, certain special military units demanded and received updated 1911s for both their reliability and .45 ACP caliber. So, "old and obsolete" is said tongue in cheek, as it really isn't. Just yesterday I saw some of the special Marine Corps. version of the 1911 for sale, so the new Sig pistols must be real humdingers.

The "gun rags" continue to have article after article about the 1911 to the point that some readers write in and complain, but one seldom sees them about the 92. If and when the Govt. surpluses them out I'll probably obtain one for my collection, but will always find another 1911 hard to resist.

Love Life
06-23-2019, 12:20 PM
The 1911 is a great gun. It is my preferred carry gun because it’s flat, accurate, hits hard, and just feels right. It fits most people, and is easy for most people to shoot. It is pretty easily customized.

The Beretta is fat, lol. I can carry a beretta M9 concealed, but I use a very thin holster. It doesn’t fit most people either. You don’t need banana hands, but Trump hands will have issues. It is a platform that is vastly improved with a trigger job and a short reach trigger. There’s not much customization to be done to it to make it better fit a person’s needs. It either works for you or it doesn’t. I doubt the M9/92 will ever match the 1911 in demand.

Now if really want to talk about a service gun that has stood the test of time, is wildly popular, and is much cloned/imitated; then we can talk about the Colt Single Action Army, lol.

Idaho45guy
06-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Meh. The Glock is superior to the 1911 in every way for most people. Lighter, more capacity, more reliable, more rugged, cheaper, easier to modify, multiple calibers in one platform, etc. etc. etc.

I carried the 1911 in the military. Then the M9. Both were inferior to the Glock.

Romanticize the 1911 all you want, call me names, insult anyone who disagrees with you, but facts are facts and it is inferior compared to more modern designs.

Sure, it's a handsome pistol, feels great in the hand, trigger on most is nice, and some models have proven reliable out of the box. But take a $500 Glock and put it up against a $500 1911 and see which is more reliable, comfortable, lighter, and durable. No contest.

And no, I won't respond to arguments by 1911 fanboys. If you don't accept facts or logic, then there is no point in discussing it.

I understand why some people love them and decide to carry them, but they usually try to justify their compromise in capacity, weight, reliability, durability, and cost by bashing "plastic" pistols or insulting others. Carry on.

tazman
06-23-2019, 01:07 PM
I love 1911 pistols. I own 4 of them and they have been thoroughly reliable for me.
3 in 45ACP and 1 in 9mm. 3 Springfields and a Sig

Der Gebirgsjager
06-23-2019, 01:36 PM
I have 3 Glocks. I can not deny their good points, but they're not my favorite pistols due to what most will find to be a very peculiar reason. When I thrust one out there to the firing position the slide seems so unnecessarily square and boxy, not at all like a nice, smooth, rounded 1911 slide. Somehow the roundedness of the 1911's slide allows me to point and pick up the sights easier, faster, and I can kind of see around the front sight which I can't exactly do with the Glock. But, just like the Beretta 92, there's no denying that they have proven to be a good pistol. Like almost everything one can talk about there are qualifications and exceptions. The 1911 sights have to be something other than the original WW I version.
I guess that might be because I'm more of a bullseye shooter than an action shooter.

Gee, Mr. Idaho-- no intention to "flame" or argue here, just making observations. :-D Actually, one of my more recent purchases was a Glock in .45 GAP. Just couldn't resist the price and condition, and wanted to experiment a bit with the GAP cartridge. My other two are a 21 .45 ACP and a 22 in .40 S&W. But......I own at least a dozen 1911s.

osteodoc08
06-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Meh. The Glock is superior to the 1911 in every way for most people. Lighter, more capacity, more reliable, more rugged, cheaper, easier to modify, multiple calibers in one platform, etc. etc. etc.

I carried the 1911 in the military. Then the M9. Both were inferior to the Glock.

Romanticize the 1911 all you want, call me names, insult anyone who disagrees with you, but facts are facts and it is inferior compared to more modern designs.

Sure, it's a handsome pistol, feels great in the hand, trigger on most is nice, and some models have proven reliable out of the box. But take a $500 Glock and put it up against a $500 1911 and see which is more reliable, comfortable, lighter, and durable. No contest.

And no, I won't respond to arguments by 1911 fanboys. If you don't accept facts or logic, then there is no point in discussing it.

I understand why some people love them and decide to carry them, but they usually try to justify their compromise in capacity, weight, reliability, durability, and cost by bashing "plastic" pistols or insulting others. Carry on.

Without a doubt, manufacturing technology has changed in the 70+ years since the 2 were introduced.

joe leadslinger
06-23-2019, 02:18 PM

I thought this was for praise to the 1911 not a glock thread.
Oh well :kidding

Skipper
06-23-2019, 02:23 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/344s33.jpg

Love Life
06-23-2019, 02:33 PM

I found a place that sells good holsters for you: https://thewellarmedwoman.com/product-category/ccw-purses/

Go ruin someone else’s thread.

salvadore
06-23-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm not interested in a 'my gun can beat yor gun' arguement, but wonder if accidental firings are more common with the Glock. I own a Shield but it has a maual safety and I don't shoot it or carry.

Love Life
06-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Negligent discharges are more common with idiots. The platform is just the victim of being owned by an idiot, regardless of what the platform is.

35remington
06-23-2019, 02:49 PM
I do know I shoot a 1911 better than anything else in autoloading persuasion speaking of service calibers.. For the usual reasons most people understand.

That makes it a useful choice I think.

Petrol & Powder
06-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Well that didn't take long..........

Petrol & Powder
06-23-2019, 03:18 PM
OK, so getting back on track, The 1911 is undeniably an iconic gun.

At one time it was probably one of the best combat pistols available and it is still a great gun. I no longer think that it is the best platform available but that doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that it has been eclipsed.
The DC-3 is a great airplane but I don't want to cross the Atlantic in one. The 1957 Chevy Bel Air was a great car but I don't want one as a daily driver.

The 1911 has withstood the test of time because it is such a great design. I'm certain new editions of the 1911 will continue to be produced for years to come.
The 1911 deserves its place in history.

M-Tecs
06-23-2019, 03:40 PM
I own and work on a lot of different pistols. I have been a 1911 fanboy for a very long time and that has not changed. About a year ago I picked up a CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange. That is an incredible pistol. I liked it so much I picked up a CZ 75 SP-01. That is very nice also.

For full size carry I prefer a 1911. If a had a choice when I was in combat zones it would have been a double stack 1911. The CZ 75's would be a close second.

A lot of the 1911 criticism is based on unrealistic comparisons. Reliability is an example. Comparing a GI 1911 that is worn out to a brand new Beretta 92 is hardly fair. Some of the GI 1911 that I came into contact with had be rebuilt well beyond anything resembling a normal service life. The last 1911 Service grade pistols that the US Military purchased were manufactured in 1945 http://sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

Same for the cobbled together parts guns that are still very common today. Unlike the AR's just dropping a bunch of the lowest cost parts together can be problematic.

Properly assembled the 1911 reliability is second to none.

marlin39a
06-23-2019, 03:55 PM
My first handgun purchase was in 1977. A Colt Combat Commander, Series 70, Blue, 45 ACP. Payed $225.00 NIB. My last gun purchase was a S/A 1911 TRP Operator, 10mm, 6". That cost me $1500.00. I now have 1911 pistols in 9mm, 38 Super, 45 ACP, and now 10mm. I believe the 1911 to be the best handgun in the world.

johniv
06-23-2019, 05:22 PM
The 1911 is my EDC gun, series 70 Colt. I have owned a lot of newer design firearms (glock, h&k, ruger, beretta,ets) . I have been present in several govt. tests, and have seen most of the "sacred cows" fail. The 1911 works for me.

Texas by God
06-23-2019, 05:35 PM
I like my Ballerina Molester better than a 1911 or a Glock or a Beretta.[emoji16]
The 1911 platform is timeless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Skipper
06-23-2019, 05:54 PM
I like my Ballerina Molester better than a 1911 or a Glock or a Beretta.[emoji16]
The 1911 platform is timeless.

When did you start molesting ballerinas??

white eagle
06-23-2019, 05:57 PM

yeah but you still have to look at them
glock is plain ugggleeee

JBinMN
06-23-2019, 07:43 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/344s33.jpg

Heh heh.. Gotta love the Duke! & the meme suits well.
;)

OS OK
06-23-2019, 08:17 PM
I thought this was for praise to the 1911 not a glock thread.
Oh well :kidding

Joe...how many times do I have to tell'Ya Pard....heheheee....they're called 'GLUCKS'.

I think a picture is worth a thousand words...someone famous must'a said that.

https://i.imgur.com/qD8hwvo.jpg

Love Life
06-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Those are some mighty fine grips!! Rams horn? What color/brand powder coat is that on The boolits?

OS OK
06-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Those are some mighty fine grips!! Rams horn? What color/brand powder coat is that on The boolits?

One of the fellas here in CB's made me two sets of those Ram's Horn grips a couple years back...he does fine work, can't recall his name...sorry.
That PC is a 50/50 mixture of Sherwin Williams black gloss & white gloss...it varies a bit but overall I call it 'old lead'.

https://i.imgur.com/mhVAZSs.jpg

country gent
06-23-2019, 09:35 PM
I have 1 colt 1911 in 38 super 2 Kimber 1911s in 45 acp one with a marvel conversion 1 Kimber ultra carry 45 acp to .22 rimfire 1 Colt delta elite in 10mm A Springfield govt built to 38 spl. Also 1 Glock 40 S&W and 1 berretta 92 9mm. I prefer the grips on the 1911s over the wider double stacks, the controls on the 1911s are more comfortable for me. In my hands and eye sight the 1911a shoot much better for me than the Glock or berretta do. I also prefer the 1911s trigger pull over the Glock and Berretta. Just me and my views. I wouldn't feel under gunned or out classed with any of them ( well maybe the Kimber if it had the conversion on it) in a serious situation, But for my personal use the 1911 gets the nod. Its not so much the handgun but te training and familiarity with it.

A guy that knows a Black hawk or Single action army intimately isn't going to be under gunned with it in his hands.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Wow, Mr. OS OK, that's-a nice-a!

charlie b
06-23-2019, 11:22 PM
I have to admit I like to shoot 1911's, if they are not the worn out GI models I fired in the Army. Mine have aftermarket, well, almost everything. Trigger groups, barrels, bushings, etc, etc. The only thing Colt on them are the slide and receiver. Accurate and no malfunctions. I only have about 2000rnd through one since it was rebuilt (over 5,000rnd on the original parts). The wife's light Commander has less than 2000rnds. Father-in-law had one of the early National Match pistols and it was also very accurate and reliable with std ammo. He fired it in competition while he was in the Navy. No idea how many rounds went through it but he wore out the original barrel and was replaced with another GI National Match barrel. All are in .45

What do I shoot now? HK VP9. Yep, plastic, striker, wimpy 9mm. :)

I think Glocks are good pistols, I just don't like the shape and angle of the grip. I guess I could get used to it if I had to, but, I don't.

Texas by God
06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
When did you start molesting ballerinas??Only one or tutu........

tazman
06-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Only one or tutu........

That was really bad! LOL:bigsmyl2:

sagamore-one
06-24-2019, 04:34 PM
The 1911 just feels right in my big hands. One range trip with a Glock always ends with a blister at the bottom of my trigger finger. My favorites list would be ; S&W N frame, S&W K frame, 1911, CZ75, then as a basic tool... a Glock 32. I have a Gold Cup with over 57,000 rounds through it and still going strong.

Burnt Fingers
06-24-2019, 05:53 PM
A LW Commander in .45 ACP is my EDC and has been since 1980. I own several 1911 pistols.

It's really not fair to compare a $500 Glock to a $500 1911. The 1911 requires a lot more machining than a Glock. To be fair let's compare a $500 Glock to a new Colt or Springfield Armory. Another thing is that Glocks come from Glock. You don't have 100 different companies making Glock clones. If there were $250 Glock clones coming from Egypt I would guess they could be very problematic.

A standard 1911 that hasn't had the dimensions tweaked to make it tighter will run like a champ with the ammunition it was designed to use.

OS OK
06-24-2019, 07:21 PM
This was my first 1911...every time I use the Kimber it makes me wish it felt like this one in my hand...nothing feels like a Commander.

https://i.imgur.com/ZhdILwN.jpg

str8wal
06-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Sorry, but a glock trigger will never compare to that of the 1911. And a 1911 just feels better in the hand, period. That said, I don't carry a 1911. In that regard a single stack Glock might be a better choice but I don't carry one of those either.

Sig556r
06-25-2019, 11:19 AM

This is like saying Apples are superior to Oranges & passing on as facts...

I started shooting glocks (G34) when I became active in IDPA despite owning several 1911s & classic Sigs for the sole reason of shooting SSP (standard pistol) division. SAOs like 1911s are considered ESP or CDP for .45acp & DA/SA Sigs are at a disadvantage over glock's "safe action". I also switched to M&P due to better grip devoid of the dreaded glock bite, also the grip angle is aligned with 1911s similar to my poly80 glocks, yes I even built my own glocks (17 & 19) too despite owning 3 factory ones (34, 22 & 19), so not a hater.
The arguments of lighter (available in alloy & poly frames), more capacity (my double stack para carries standard 18 rds, 26 with ext), more reliable (there's a reason why open comps mostly shoot 1911s), more rugged (centuries-old platform that survived couple of world wars among other regional wars), cheaper (lot of cheaper clones nowadays, ie, RIA), easier to modify (seriously?), multiple calibers in one platform (.22LR, .22TCM, .380acp, 9mm, 38super, 357sig, 40SW, 10mm, 45acp, even .357mag & counting) don't quite fly.
But when it comes to ergonomics, looks & history, can one argue that glocks are superior? How about unsupported chamber? all my glocks have after-market barrels for a reason.
I love all my glocks, but I sleep with a bedside Sig TacOps 1911 lock & loaded with 45acp hydroshocks.
My other 1911 pistols are STIs 9 & 45acp, Sig Nightmare in 357Sig with extra 38Super barrel, Springy 1911A1 45acp, Para Pro 18.9 & a beater RIA commander in 9mm which I built. Also sold a Ruger SR1911 commander which I regret to this day. I know, not enough 1911s...but hey, there's always room for improvement.

am44mag
06-25-2019, 03:00 PM
I love the 1911 platform. It's always seemed to just shoot well for me, and those big 45 caliber bullets are fun to play around with.

Here's mine with some giraffe bone on it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2fpRKkAzGG0ks9eS4IME-CQkaynmWxsUMrCKHdp0xGTWULUeR5-uf9O2uyoF4fiuMdBhsFMY3ADMt3R4BvLxxEp4HqzeWpa6Y49v6 pt6rOku6pBvPbXCN4V63ufWr9TRQrmK_eGf5-KqbO2rQtZ0XwYa5pYhRrTdrfM9k-O2CTnmy_DxCvU77xOgRg3bqtljcZj53cOC0Qg6fod1_MYCHZ7i IFGsQE9YRHw7BfuRhUL4IPNN8JDn9Zjj1ZhmVpegBSYB6ekIB3 a8-mO-PwmSbabJmAkfkK82KK9yAzNXHAB-ZCiHR6Hv5H0v-r-a9fsFOlagE4vgC9repAYv98Dk3BED0lV_Ru2ZDglJ2Cr856W74 6yi90bOqQh1mbHBKVdw56f6jk1iAbhKKd-wNoMj-pVDDXd5ngdQj-ZX4xAJQfMQEZGDvYXmRLDcyAjZFoyfjGGQinn8J0FEJ9rEW7iL 2N4Y2zQWrgjgFH5-eMhVr02mjyrOyc5UPsPYYf4phmSVOGHvwa57JLVmMJhyNS1Bla _PMlLP0A2Fn058AVSyEiTvYBFTwryagJZ5ba7XOuwu3MjmAviS ule6UbfVNz_JGO__NI-odGBtjeZHPygfm3_MBSOrmCO59G7YvLj1bcvzoCzFI1hEPBrjN LVpJvUF9jYqjZ4D2ac=w1416-h944-no

One of the fellas here in CB's made me two sets of those Ram's Horn grips a couple years back...he does fine work, can't recall his name...sorry.

That was me, lol. I went by Jake70 back then. To make a long story short, I lost access to that account and the email attached to it because I thought letting the computer remember my info instead of writing it down somewhere was just fine back then... Yeah, don't do that.

Those grips look fantastic on your Kimber. ;)

Butler Ford
06-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Fanboy here, two more have been added since.

PB234
06-25-2019, 05:43 PM
My Gold Cup purchased when they were $289 new still feels great in my hand and amazes with its accuracy. Not my first choice for a defensive pistol, but will be kept and cherished. Are there better defensive pistols? Maybe, but love and a 45, "One will kill you and one will keep you alive."

OS OK
06-25-2019, 07:37 PM
I love the 1911 platform. It's always seemed to just shoot well for me, and those big 45 caliber bullets are fun to play around with.

Here's mine with some giraffe bone on it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dvTAD5Rh1cUOrZN3u47zH_x6kn7GkVAGUG9EGItxbZZc-SaHyzGUSNtMNP4gnU9Wz079agTGBQojaI-Ypmjs4e9dLsfl6qMMAYgU2TFdTkys5kSAl6uEIDPCyew7e1kqG 6E1hoZ-kUESxDeJaT0s03jM3H7JSkbuhoiVYoZpbv-RXXoK0KVg0MEyiFjKOV71l6yXnhqUxQgd-arcDh46h9W12f8dhUCPo5dC2zxiQA4CmnO4UzLKejvBDTXQNFg ho9vjfyPOv6d4pxUX_eIuXF64rLHlQcotum1y8wH6xcyYWhMMk NQa_xVeE6-UL-w_x2SgvMedPtQggJTcZyYP9aSC4OxFCHnRCuQqIQRE8pQ5FaRL Rv8uYT-qRL_UwfD7MBtK2N2H-wmRBkoUCsuh1OOhHP3V-S7OsV5bJpwFibeA_v6jGLYcbew3SxHAQNLQ8UaItoYOdbU9U9K n2yTqJMf51VKStllOQkLtT6em2vLL_Ziq8dAgat3MGnHYHP-toqDNLxXtqfY9f74X4gkEaM09_-tl4CO6uibw7H8QT5rGI3Wadfj9B2Ugrz5QtQynBrHcrGLbI2jI Q79foqL4LsLLyn33pFBHXZ2sCvnxoBdNL3v--cBz2ds-QOTJlhBXoPWHxl3qral54aZ8aovTcUu-cD_52f8=w1679-h945-no

That was me, lol. I went by Jake70 back then. To make a long story short, I lost access to that account and the email attached to it because I thought letting the computer remember my info instead of writing it down somewhere was just fine back then... Yeah, don't do that.

Those grips look fantastic on your Kimber. ;)

Thanks Jake...you made them Pard!

Are you still making grips?
I sure have a hankering for a rugged looking set of stag....lil Kimber wants a change of clothes!

Contact me if you think you might?

PS...reload this picture, I'd like to see the Giraffe.

Hickok
06-25-2019, 09:06 PM
I have a Kimber "Royal" that looks identical to OSOK's Kimber. Love it.

And one thing about a 1911, if the needs arises, you can always bust someone's skull with one, ala Wyatt Earp's "buffaloing" drunks before taking them in to jail.:guntootsmiley:

JeffG
06-25-2019, 09:35 PM
I’ll keep my 1911’s, thank you. You can have all the butt ugly glocks. Haven’t bought one yet and don’t intend to. Oh, i’ve shot those of friends, but that changes nothing.

am44mag
06-25-2019, 09:42 PM

I sure have a hankering for a rugged looking set of stag....lil Kimber wants a change of clothes!

I'm still making them occasionally. We might be able to do some stag grips. I'll look around and see if I can find a piece that would work. I'll PM you either tonight or tomorrow. :)

I re-uploaded the pic. I've been having issues with that lately. I can see them, but other can't for some reason. It makes it hard to get the issue fixed.

OS OK
06-25-2019, 10:21 PM
I'm still making them occasionally. We might be able to do some stag grips. I'll look around and see if I can find a piece that would work. I'll PM you either tonight or tomorrow. :)

I re-uploaded the pic. I've been having issues with that lately. I can see them, but other can't for some reason. It makes it hard to get the issue fixed.

I just saw your Remington and those Giraffe scales are awesome looking, very fine work.

salvadore
06-25-2019, 11:22 PM
That was a great nonanswer love life. So I guess the question is are there more idiot glock owners than 1911 owners?

DougGuy
06-25-2019, 11:56 PM
I didn't ever think I was going to need another carry gun outside of a Commander. A white haired old judge and an over zealous prosecutor in a podunk North Carolina courtroom showed me differently. They took great joy in vilifying my cocked and locked carry, the same way any lawman would carry, oh he was just driving around your honor, looking for somebody to shoot. Not kidding, cannot make this stuff up.

I still favor the 1911, always have one or two around, but I switched to a striker fired Kahr for carry because it deprives the circus of parading around in the courtroom over how I choose to defend myself. There is no visible hammer, no external safety, there is zero energy stored in the striker, no preload, it doesn't look as intimidating to the village idiot and they have a lot less to go on in making fear tactics a viable tool in front of the judge, or a jury.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-26-2019, 10:48 AM
I can very much sympathize with what you are saying, Doug Guy. I spent most of my 35 years working in this or that job wearing a uniform and carrying a handgun. When I could I carried a 1911. I received uncounted comments on my pistol being cocked and locked, some just warning me of the condition, and others with disapproval. No amount of explanation or reasoning will suffice to convert those who dislike cocked and locked carry.
One Sgt. of a State Police agency that required on duty revolver carry tried to get me fired for carrying a 1911 off duty, despite the fact that they had no regulation limiting off duty weapons, as did an Armored supervisor who's company had no real regulations at all -- he just didn't like it. In my final few years of employment I found the solution in the pistol pictured below. It seemed to offer the best of both worlds, somewhat basic 1911 design and .45 ACP caliber with a public relations hammer. I liked it enough to buy two of them, and salted away one of the repair kits from SARCO for future reference if needed, although I've never experienced any trouble with them at all. I, for one, mourned the passing of Para Ordnance. I think they made good pistols, but I doubt if anyone will pick up the LDA design.
Click to enlarge.

DG

Conditor22
06-26-2019, 11:39 AM
https://i.imgur.com/6zr0E9T.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
06-26-2019, 12:10 PM
What a shame that happened to a nice pistol-- but my sides are hurting from laughing! [smilie=l:

onelight
06-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Yup with carefully applied bacon a pit bull can do a nice stipple job :razz:
That Glock pic is funny.:shock:

Texas by God
06-26-2019, 02:36 PM
The good news is that you can whittle it back to functionality [emoji16]

johniv
06-26-2019, 06:52 PM
The good news is that you can whittle it back to functionality [emoji16]

As a tent peg.

Conditor22
06-28-2019, 01:18 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ZQGomiU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NrYt70i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OxiW3Ru.png

https://i.imgur.com/YDOFuNf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Q3wquxd.png

https://i.imgur.com/6qONFRX.png

https://i.imgur.com/a30TGhh.jpg

JBinMN
06-28-2019, 07:35 AM
^ heh heh heh^ Funny!
;)

pmer
06-30-2019, 11:38 AM
But, it is interesting to note that the 1911 remains extremely popular, and I'd wager that the civilian sales of the old, obsolete 1911 still outstrip those of the 92. Copies and clones of the 1911 abound, but this is not the case with the 92. In fact, even during the military tenure of the 92, certain special military units demanded and received updated 1911s for both their reliability and .45 ACP caliber. So, "old and obsolete" is said tongue in cheek, as it really isn't. Just yesterday I saw some of the special Marine Corps. version of the 1911 for sale, so the new Sig pistols must be real humdingers.

The "gun rags" continue to have article after article about the 1911 to the point that some readers write in and complain, but one seldom sees them about the 92. If and when the Govt. surpluses them out I'll probably obtain one for my collection, but will always find another 1911 hard to resist.

American Rifleman has a article about those .45s they are designated M45 A1. The Marine special operations people had Colt build them to their specs. The back story from the article is that first ones weren't properly coated/finished and they went back to Colt. These pistols ended up on Gunbroker at a ridiculously low price. Now resellers have them on GB starting at $1500 or more. Needless to say I wish I would've been cruising Gunbroker when those M45's were on there at the low price and was able to realize what they were; currently issued Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command CQCP 1911's.

Here's one with the original box
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812488316

The first time I did my CCW permit I used a G19 and got the high score of the group. When reupped the CCW I used a SR1911 Commander and got the high score again. But I ran the Commander faster and more confidently because I didn't have to wait to find the sights like I have to do with Glocks. Both of them ran without fail.

So to me both of them are good but I have to keep a Glock around to remind me how much better a 1911 is LOL. My biggest gripe about the Glock is that I have to be really careful to not drag plastic with my trigger finger.

flyingmonkey35
06-30-2019, 12:24 PM
let's see

army as a MP in in the 90s a Springfield m&p 9mm

deputy sheriff S&W 40 (the brick)
back up gun kel tech 40 (the stove piper)

private armed security ruger P89 in 9mm.

I knew a LOT of cops that HATED having to carry the glock. but as their department buys them in bulk and then requires everyone to carry it so they can swap mags if needed.

no for my EDC I carry a s&w ultralight hammerless 38 special.

its extremely lightweight very concealable and packs a hell of a punch.

now I don't hate the glock. but I don't own one. as they need a new barrel to shoot cast.

I own a 1911 para. that out shoots all of my other handguns.

and I'll end with this

reporter to sheriff. why did the deputies shoot the guy 86 times.

Sheriff "They ran out of ammo"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love Life
06-30-2019, 12:42 PM
American Rifleman has a article about those .45s they are designated M45 A1. The Marine special operations people had Colt build them to their specs. The back story from the article is that first ones weren't properly coated/finished and they went back to Colt. These pistols ended up on Gunbroker at a ridiculously low price. Now resellers have them on GB starting at $1500 or more. Needless to say I wish I would've been cruising Gunbroker when those M45's were on there at the low price and was able to realize what they were; currently issued Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command CQCP 1911's.

Here's one with the original box
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812488316

The first time I did my CCW permit I used a G19 and got the high score of the group. When reupped the CCW I used a SR1911 Commander and got the high score again. But I ran the Commander faster and more confidently because I didn't have to wait to find the sights like I have to do with Glocks. Both of them ran without fail.

So to me both of them are good but I have to keep a Glock around to remind me how much better a 1911 is LOL. My biggest gripe about the Glock is that I have to be really careful to not drag plastic with my trigger finger.

It’s not that they were coated improperly, it’s that cerekote sucks. All of the wear I’ve seen on them was standard Kydex holster wear on a cerekote finish. The Ionbond is a much better finish. I’ve shot the M45A1 in the service and own 2 of the decommissioned ones. As an aside, not just Spec-Ops has them. Lowly military police SRT teams have them to include the civilian rent-a-cops.

If you come across a decommissioned M45A1 for $1500 I recommend you buy 10 of them. The ones I sold and have seen sell sold for $3,500-$5,000.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Ahh...so interest in the 1911 thread continues! Well, here's one that I like a lot.........
Click to enlarge.

DG

Sig556r
07-23-2019, 08:55 AM
https://i.imgur.com/6zr0E9T.jpg

Easy fix, convert that G17 or G19 into a G26...problem solved

OS OK
07-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Here is what am44mag's first set of stag looks like...outstanding craftsmanship again Aaron, thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/qmftnWq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zVCBa10.jpg