PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage steaks

redneck1
06-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Anyone here ever do cabbage steaks ? If so please do share your fav recipe .

Mine is simple , cut the cabbage into steaks about 1 inch thick , from top to bottom leaving the core in ( holds it together )

Then melt 1 stick of butter mix in 1 tsp of smoked paprika
Two cloves minced garlic , 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper .

Place the steaks in a foil lined pan , Brush the butter / spice mixture on both sides liberally .
Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes , then top with your fav cheese and bake another 10 minutes .
easy and tasty ... if your a cabbage lover like me .

Smoke4320
06-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Sounds good have to give that a try
Thanks for sharing

MaryB
06-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Hmm bacon pieces under the cabbage instead of butter...

Beagle333
06-22-2019, 09:01 PM
redneck1, I make em the same way, less the paprika.

redneck1
06-22-2019, 09:07 PM
I have tried them with bacon , it works much better with the bacon precooked and crumbled as a topping for my tastes .
The fat tends to make the bottom of the cabbage a little mushy .
I prefer it to be tender but still firm

gbrown
06-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Cabbage rules! (In my house, anyway) Might think about searing them on a hot grill or in a cast iron skillet before seasoning and wrapping them. I'm not someone who likes veggies taste hidden by cheese, so I'd leave that off, just my taste. Good seasoning salt with garlic and butter sounds really good to me. Bacon, ham or canadian bacon chopped with it would add to the flavor. I just made 4 tenderloins with the canadian bacon thread here and smoked them--this sounds like a recipe for them. I always have cabbage in the fridge.

Hickory
06-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Hmm bacon pieces under the cabbage instead of butter...

That's what bacon is for, ... making good food better.

William Yanda
06-22-2019, 11:19 PM
When you say from top to bottom leaving the core in are you slicing across the core?

redneck1
06-23-2019, 12:00 AM
Set the core end down and cut into it from the top :)

If you cut across the core the steaks fall apart and you end up making Cole slaw ... been there done that lol

shaner
06-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Mine is simple , cut the cabbage into steaks about 1 inch thick , from top to bottom leaving the core in ( holds it together )

Place the steaks in a foil lined pan , Brush the butter / spice mixture on both sides liberally .
Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes , then top with your fav cheese and bake another 10 minutes .
easy and tasty ... if your a cabbage lover like me .Sounds like what I make!
Love them on the charcoal grill too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

merlin101
06-23-2019, 12:29 AM
Sounds good but I think it would be better if you substituted beef for the cabbage.

Traffer
06-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Thanks I love cabbage. Been sauteing it on the stove top with thin sliced carrots, onion, garlic and ginger. I also use a bit toasted sesame oil. But it is a lot of work. I will have to try your method.

Trash Panda
06-23-2019, 03:08 PM
I did roast a whole cabbage, based on a ‘turkey alternative’ recipe I found (no way would I give up turkey!) for thanksgiving. Basted with seasoning and olive oil, really not bad! All the cruciferous veggies benefit from roasting, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli.

GregLaROCHE
06-23-2019, 05:17 PM
I love Cabbage. I’ve got to try that!

MaryB
06-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Core cabbage taking out more than needed so you have a good sized cavity. Drop in 2-3 sticks of butter and stuff in 1 pound of chopped bacon(this is for a LARGE head of cabbage), some black pepper goes well also. Salt to taste but the butter and bacon will carry in some salt. Wrap in foil leaving a small opening over the core end, make a ring of foil to hold this core end up and smoke until just tender...

Traffer
06-23-2019, 07:46 PM
I made some tonight. Cut into slabs like op. But instead of butter I used sesame oil. I added garlic chunks and carrot peels on top. Then put some more oil on and a couple tbsps of fake Mrs Dash. Also put some liquid aminos on it ( like soy sauce) It was good. Wife loved it.
Thanks again for the post. I used to cook it in a frying pan and it is difficult cuz you can't get the whole head in there (after separating leaves) . I would have to cook some down and then add more. Lot of work. This way is immeasurably easier.

MT Gianni
06-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Sorry this is for Cauliflower not cabbage. The boss won't let cabbage in the house.
3/4" thick cut, baste in 1/4 cup lemonjuice and olive oil 50-50 mix. Add 3 chopped cloves of garlic, Johnnys seasoning salt, greek oregano and black pepper to taste. Lay on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, bake in a 350 F oven for 20 minutes and flip, rebaste at 10 minutes. Dust with Parmesan cheese when you serve it.

gwpercle
06-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Sounds good but I think it would be better if you substituted beef for the cabbage.

Substitute beef but keep the bacon and butter !

Traffer
06-25-2019, 07:41 PM
I made cabbage again last night. I took advise and ideas from this thread and tried this:
Cut the heart of a head of cabbage. Placed it in a microwavable safe glass bowl with about 1/3 cup of water in the bottom.
Poured about 1/4 cup total of various oils in the hole along with fake Mrs Dash and chopped onions.
Quaved it for 10 min (5+5 min) Added a bit more oil. Along with sticking a bunch of slivers of carrots stuck in the hole. After the 10 min in the microwave the carrot darts stuck in the middle. I shoved them in in a spreading pattern between the layers of cabbage from the top hole. Then I put it back in the quave and zapped it for another 5 min.
Observations:
No onions next time. Onions do not go well with cabbage unless you sautee them. And
Stick the carrots in after about 6 to 7 min in the quave. Cus they did not quite get done.
But ...It was a great dish. Way way easier than anything in the oven or on top of the stove and it doesn't take as long. It also tasted better than the oven stuff.

2011redrider
06-28-2019, 03:54 AM
This reminds me of a you tube on the late Steve Hall's, Shotgun Red channel. Haven't had time to try it yet, but, looks good.

https://youtu.be/yB10tnzHGXE

Traffer
06-28-2019, 12:02 PM
This reminds me of a you tube on the late Steve Hall's, Shotgun Red channel. Haven't had time to try it yet, but, looks good.

https://youtu.be/yB10tnzHGXE

Thanks for sharing...Shotgun Red seems to be a great guy...fun video.

2011redrider
06-28-2019, 08:05 PM
Thanks for sharing...Shotgun Red seems to be a great guy...fun video.

Too bad he passed away last year. His wife or GF not sure which is continuing the channel, but, not close to what it was. Not sure how I stumbled on his channel, but, it was good while it lasted. Ha has some old ones from the Ralph Emery days too!

poppy42
06-29-2019, 11:27 PM
redneck1 I really have to thank you for the idea! I never would have thought of cabbage steaks on my own! I cooked some on the grill tonight. Bacon and some seasoning and boy were they good!!!

beechbum444
06-29-2019, 11:40 PM
Funny , I saw this post and thought healthy food , bacon , three sticks of butter covered in cheeses ....I'm thinking a ribeye has less cholesterol......

Walks
06-29-2019, 11:54 PM
Sounds Fantastic.

Wish I could still eat cabbage.

Traffer
06-30-2019, 02:04 AM
I made cabbage again tonight. I eat it 3 to 4 times a week. I tried many of the ways suggested here. I like the fact that many are quick and easy. The way I usually cook it is to saute it with strips of carrots, onions, garlic, grated ginger, toasted sesame oil, and regular vegetable oil. Spices and cook it in a frying pan. Y U M

flyingmonkey35
06-30-2019, 03:03 AM
ok I have to say something.

once done cooking. plate garnish throw it in the trash where it belongs. and then fry you up a beef/ venison steak.

buahaha

nah it sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Iowa Fox
06-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Reminds me of rouladen. We've got a real nice cabbage crop going this year.

UKShootist
07-09-2019, 06:50 AM
Well, ever the courageous one, I decided to ignore the fact that a cabbage is (ugh) a vegetable and decided to try out this recipe. It's certainly proof that with enough butter, spice, and melted cheese just about anything can be made palatable, To be fair, I think it needed cooking for a lot longer than 40 minutes, perhaps 80 or 100 minutes, for my cooker at least. The cabbage at time of eating was tough to cut. It might be worth having another go though.

gbrown
07-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Well, ever the courageous one, I decided to ignore the fact that a cabbage is (ugh) a vegetable and decided to try out this recipe. It's certainly proof that with enough butter, spice, and melted cheese just about anything can be made palatable, To be fair, I think it needed cooking for a lot longer than 40 minutes, perhaps 80 or 100 minutes, for my cooker at least. The cabbage at time of eating was tough to cut. It might be worth having another go though.

Yeah, my buddy always said, with enough cheese on it, you can get a kid to eat anything. He fed his kids vegetables all the time, with the veggies swimming in cheese. Me, I was raised on veggies and love them. Especially cabbage. Only veggie I don't care for is Brussel Sprouts. Will eat them, but don't enjoy them. I eat plenty of meat, but love me some veggies. I know lots of people were raised meat and potato kind of people. Fine with me. Just pass me the veggies you don't care for.:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Core brussels sprouts, stuff with ground bacon and seasoning of choice, bake core end up or place on the smoker and cook until tender.

gbrown
07-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Thank you, MaryB for the recipe/suggestion. I'll give it a try. Little cabbages always taste pretty bitter to me.

Tripplebeards
09-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Going to have to give it a whirl. My purple cabbage never grow worth a darn this year. I have six about the size of a softball to pick and try. I watched shotgun red do pickled fish this summer before I did my Northern pike. He’s like the SvenGooley of the cooking world.

Traffer
09-30-2019, 09:43 PM
ok I have to say something.

once done cooking. plate garnish throw it in the trash where it belongs. and then fry you up a beef/ venison steak.

buahaha

nah it sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'll pm you my address and you can ship me a couple hundred lbs of venison. Then I won't eat so much cabbage.
:drinks:

Tripplebeards
10-01-2019, 08:13 PM
I picked two of my purple cabbage plants today to give it a try. The cabbage heads weren’t much bigger than my fist. I cut them up into 6 steaks. Put olive oil on them along with melted butter to fill in the folds. I sprinkled with paprika,black pepper, and just a hair of garlic salt. I baked at 350 for a half an hour and then I added mozzarella cheese in pieces of bacon I pre-cooked and baked for another 10 minutes. The cheese didn’t get brown and bubbly so I bumped the heat up to 375 for a few minutes. I made them for myself and my relatives as an appetizer and needless to say we didn’t eat dinner.lol they filled us up. I’ll be making more of these.

https://i.imgur.com/UgCbjQd.jpg

NBraun
10-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Can't say i've ever heard of cabbage stakes, but it certainly sounds worth a try!

Tripplebeards
11-06-2019, 09:14 PM
I had four purple cabbage left the size of my fist I plucked the garden a few weeks ago. I just cut one up and had to try it again. This time I smeared some refrigerated bacon grease On both sides and skipped the paprika. All I did was pour a little virgin olive oil on top of them after smearing with bacon grease. I then sprinkle a little garlic salt and onion powder on them and baked for a half an hour. After a half an hour I add cheese and bacon and baked for five minutes. The Cabbage was really small so it was very tender. It tasted way better than round one! This was the biggest thickest piece which was maybe about 3 1/2 inches in diameter at the most the rest were really thinly cut and maybe two 2 1/2 inches around probably why they were more tender.

https://i.imgur.com/pRD097S.jpg

richhodg66
11-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Can't say i've ever heard of cabbage stakes, but it certainly sounds worth a try!

I too had never heard of such a thing, but I do like cabbage so I'll give it a try some time. Sounds good.

Springfield
11-06-2019, 10:28 PM
O, my triglyceride levels!

Tripplebeards
11-06-2019, 10:44 PM
You know I have to say I never made these until I saw this post and boy it sure is a good and different change on my taste buds. I guess there’s more to cabbage than coleslaw and boiled dinner.

Geezer in NH
11-08-2019, 10:01 PM
What's the matter with cole slaw?

AllanD
11-13-2019, 11:20 PM
I absolutely Love every member of the cabbage family EXCEPT Kale and Kohl-Rabi.

I had a can of beets laid out for a planned dinner once and my girlfriend at the time commented she didn't like beets and was puzzled when I didn't say a word, but just wordlessly handed her a quarter...
(It was so she could call someone who cared, I was perfectly happy to eat them all myself!)

You should have seen the look on her face, the day I brought home a Half-Bushel of turnips!

That was almost as good as explaining with the appropriate prop why I have both a Hatchet and Machete
in my kitchen tool drawer, there are no more effective tools for dealing with a Rutabega!

augercreek
12-04-2019, 06:42 AM
We had the steaks last night and they were great !

Hickory
12-04-2019, 07:41 AM
This is something we make several times a month.
Start with a ring of smoked sausage, slice half inch pieces, brown in large cast iron skillet. While thats cooking chop 1/2 head of cabbage and 2 medium potatoes cut in one inch cubes. Remove sausage from skillet, put in cabbage and potato and medium onion.
Cook on med low for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Cut one medium sweet potato into cubes add it and the sausage to skillet cook for another 10-15 minutes. When sweet potato is done your ready to eat.

Sometimes if we have one, we put in half a red or orange bell pepper.

augercreek
01-04-2020, 06:10 AM
We made them again for supper but, used red cabbage instead and cut thinner. We really liked them better than the white ones.

jonp
01-04-2020, 08:21 AM

easy and tasty ... if your a cabbage lover like me .

Well....huh. I just asked SWMBO what she wanted for dinner and I think we will get a cabbage and try this with some grilled Salmon.