PDA

View Full Version : Lyman... but need specifics

Traffer
06-21-2019, 01:03 PM
My brother gave me some stuff here that he got at a yard sale. I know it is Lyman turret and a powder dropper but I don't know anything else. Any info is appreciated. AND can you tell me what it would be worth if I sell it?
It is basically nearly unused. Had a little light surface rust which applying a all little WD40 took care of.

pworley1
06-21-2019, 01:18 PM
You can download manuals for both of those from the Lyman site.

onelight
06-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Good stuff.
That’s my favorite free standing powder measure I like the knocker.:-D

bedbugbilly
06-21-2019, 05:45 PM
The Lyman 55 powder measure . . my favorite also - I have three of them and just bought a fourth to give to a younger fellow I'm collecting things for to help get him in to reloading. I have used others but still keep going back to the 55s 'cause I just like 'em so much!

Traffer
06-21-2019, 06:02 PM
About the powder measure. Yes I was very surprised at the quality. I have a Lee and don't use it. I don't reload much and really don't need a powder measure at this time. If I was to use one it would be for 22lr that I reload and the precision has to be to a half of a tenth of a grain. I use 1.85 grains of powder Do you think this would be that precise ...once I got used to it?

onelight
06-21-2019, 06:38 PM
I have not thrown any charges that small on mine , but it has 3 charge adjusting bars so it would adjust that small . Do you throw in a pan and trickle on the scale ?
The knocker really helps settle the powder in the cavity. When throwing charges I knock once with the lever up to settle the powder and once with it down to help shake it all out of the drop tube work the lever with my trigger finger and thumb and flip the knocker with middle finger once used to it it’s quick . Some powders work better than others.

Traffer
06-21-2019, 08:00 PM
I have not thrown any charges that small on mine , but it has 3 charge adjusting bars so it would adjust that small . Do you throw in a pan and trickle on the scale ?
The knocker really helps settle the powder in the cavity. When throwing charges I knock once with the lever up to settle the powder and once with it down to help shake it all out of the drop tube work the lever with my trigger finger and thumb and flip the knocker with middle finger once used to it it’s quick . Some powders work better than others.
Depending on how accurate I need to be. I have been using a scoop and weighing every 4th or 5th charge. But plan on doing some accuracy testing that I would need to weigh every charge. It would be great to get to where I can meter it in one of these. I know it takes some practice.

onelight
06-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Well it looks like a great opportunity to see how it works with your powder and that tiny charge.

GregLaROCHE
06-21-2019, 09:43 PM
I’ve used that press and powder measure for over thirty years. I even bought a second powder measure. I still use that press the most. A lot more than my newer Rock Chucker. Can’t beat the versatility of having more dies all adjusted and ready to go. You may want to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and lube to start.

bedbugbilly
06-22-2019, 08:29 AM
The only way you're going to know if the 55 will throw the powder/measurement that you need is to sit down and play with it with your powder and a good scale to check. I load 38 Colt Short and I have no issues with one of mine throwing an accurate charge of 1.8 grains of Bulls Eye - but BE meters pretty easy - and I randomly heck OFTEN with my beam scale. Whatever powder you're using for reloading/loading your 22s I would imagine would be pretty fine grain - so you'd just have to see how your 55 does with it.

I used a Lee measure for a while but now it just sits on the shelf as a "back up" if needed. To me, the 55 is well made and if used "consistently" - i.e. same lever movement and same knocker movement each time, it works well for what I do which is mainly pistol cartridges. I have never used it for my 30-30 or 8mm as I prefer to use a scoop and trickle and weigh each charge when batch loading.

We all are "accumulators" in one respect or another . . . and once I got my first 55, I liked it so much that I wanted anther as a "back up". LOL Now I have 3 of them but even though I am "downsizing", I'm not getting reid of any of them. My goal is to get a stand built where all three are available and set up each one for the individual pistol cartridges that I load the most.

I also use scoops quite often - either the Lee scoops or ones I make out of cartridge casings. It's interesting to see how accurate you can be with a scoop when you learn to use them consistently . . but again . . . my scale is always there to check my "scoopabiity". LOL

EDIT: Your 55 powder measure originally came with two "drop tubes" - a large and a small. Basically depends on which one you use by the size of the cartridge casing mouth size - i.e. say a .32 caliber versus a 45 LC.

You can download an instruction sheet on the Lyman site which applies to their current production measures. Values? Check fleabay and see what they are selling for there - with will of course vary. If you decide to sell them, I doubt you'd have any trouble selling them on this site - both are desirable pieces.

Rich/WIS
06-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Have both, in fact several of the measures. Good equipment, the press is the older model T-Mag. Use mine for 45 ACP but prime off the press. Can't help on prices, got mine at a bargain price as there was a chip starting on the frame where the support arms were hitting unevenly on one side. Attached a small strip of structural nylon to the front of my bench to serve as a stop and it has been going strong ever since.

str8wal
06-22-2019, 10:49 AM
About the powder measure. Yes I was very surprised at the quality. I have a Lee and don't use it. I don't reload much and really don't need a powder measure at this time. If I was to use one it would be for 22lr that I reload and the precision has to be to a half of a tenth of a grain. I use 1.85 grains of powder Do you think this would be that precise ...once I got used to it?

It depends on the powder. Powders like True Blue and HS-6, and even TG meter well in small charges.

Traffer
06-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys for the good info. I have downloaded the manuals for the stuff (yet to read them) and from the feedback I got here, have decided to clean up the stuff and use it. I am hoping to start shooting again this year and have a few calibers I can reload. But the 22 Lr is still by far my main endeavor. Maybe I can design a system for that which will be facilitated by the turret press. Loading rimfire is so different though ...the sequence of loading is completely different from center fire. It will be a challenge.
I can see why people really like those Lyman 55 powder measures. Very nice pieces of equipment there. Looking forward to using this one. (been using HS-6 which meters well).
Thanks for the posts.
:2_high5: