PDA

View Full Version : Powder charges for 38 spc loads

John McCorkle
06-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

Going to load a few 38 spc for snake rounds.

I've cut several shot cards out of heavy business cards and have some shot (unsure what size...looks to be #8? It was found at the local metal recycling place inside weighted bags...bought it for scrap price of lead)

Plan to put in powder charge, two cards shot almost to top, another card...roll crimp slightly and titebond III glue

I have Tite wad, unique, hp38/231

Certain one of those powders (or all three) will work fine but not sure what is a good starting charge weight.

Snakes in Louisiana are a plenty and would like a few of these on hand to dispatch with a snubnie (also have a 4" model 10 but that may impart too much spin on the shot to make it worth while)

May find some leading in the barrel, that would be ok if I need to use em I'm happy to scrub the bore...not planning on blasting these all the time just when needed

Thoughts on charge weights or something I should consider before moving ahead?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Outpost75
06-19-2019, 06:31 PM
I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in mine:

John McCorkle
06-19-2019, 06:58 PM
I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in mine:

243831243833Bullseye is a bit faster than titegroup just by a smidge....so would 3-3.2 grains be a good starting point?

Or are those BE loads light enough I could load comparable charges and find safe...just thinking about pressure in a 38. Both guns I have are plus p but I know zero about pressure in shot shell loads and as it is by default compressed want to take caution on em. Of course shot is a different animal than solid lead too....

Outpost75
06-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Bullseye is a bit faster than titegroup just by a smidge....so would 3-3.2 grains be a good starting point?

Or are those BE loads light enough I could load comparable charges and find safe...just thinking about pressure in a 38. Both guns I have are plus p but I know zero about pressure in shot shell loads and as it is by default compressed want to take caution on em. Of course shot is a different animal than solid lead too....

No pressure issue. 3.5 grains of Bullseye is standard-pressure charge for 158-grain lead bullet and approximates factory loads.

A .38 Special case only holds about 110-grains of fine shot.

But, a lighter charge may pattern better so is worth experimenting with.

6bg6ga
06-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Looks interesting. Moving to AZ so I may need some snake loads.

6bg6ga
06-20-2019, 06:55 AM
If I understand the concept correctly one probably needs a wad between the powder and the shot. This from what I have read is either a cardboard or plastic from like a plastic container top. Load powder charge followed by the plastic wad followed by around 80-100 gr of shot followed by a wad and a tight crimp on the wad.

So, has anyone made a tool to cut your wads?

John McCorkle
06-20-2019, 07:13 AM
If I understand the concept correctly one probably needs a wad between the powder and the shot. This from what I have read is either a cardboard or plastic from like a plastic container top. Load powder charge followed by the plastic wad followed by around 80-100 gr of shot followed by a wad and a tight crimp on the wad.

So, has anyone made a tool to cut your wads?Sharpened a 9mm case with a chamfer tool and used an old 2x6 as a backer...hammered it in lightly through the card and punched out the little wads through the primer hole with 14 ga wire (any wire or stick or mail that would fit through the flashhole would work)

It wasn't fast but it wasn't the most tedious thing I've ever done either and before long I had way more than I needed.

Finished these dudes up last night...

3.2 hp38 (with Lee's .3 powder scoop)
2 of the aforementioned over powder cards
Filled it nearly to top top with#8 shot
Another card on top pressed in just below casemouth
Roll crimped
Titebond III glue to seal it up

Will test it out tomorrow or Saturdayhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/8f4eeb2e888e07812796060cac8e4239.jpg

6bg6ga
06-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Any idea on the weight of your shot charge in grains? When the move is done and we get settled in AZ I will try these out. Please do let me know how they work.

John McCorkle
06-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Any idea on the weight of your shot charge in grains? When the move is done and we get settled in AZ I will try these out. Please do let me know how they work.Not sure on grain weight....from what I can tell 80-100 grains ish?

I'll take pics of the pattern at 6 to 10 ft on a paper plate or cardboard box.

I don't expect it to be effective past 10 ft but it doesn't need to be....they may not be as elegant as the Speer capsules but if I have to set off 2 or 3 of these to do the job it will be fine...they cost all of a nickel a piece

Made up 30 last night...I'll test 5 or 6 so should still have enough to last a season or two if used for intended purpose

Adam Helmer
06-20-2019, 11:45 AM
I make up my .38 Special and .357 snake loads with #71/2 shot and Unique charges listed in the Speer Reloading Manual. I use .38 caliber gas checks over the powder with the cup UP, drop in the shot to fill the case and put another gas check, cup DOWN, and roll crimp for a minature shotgun shell. I use a pencil, eraser down, to seat the gas check on the powder before loading the shot. Gas checks are less messy than glue, etc., to secure the top wad. I hope this helps.

My local snakes tie themselves in knots within 15-20 feet when shot. Be SURE to ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting shot loads in any handgun! That small shot often Bounces BACK from rocks, hard ground or hard target frame boards when testing loads!

Adam

John McCorkle
06-20-2019, 12:10 PM
I make up my .38 Special and .357 snake loads with #71/2 shot and Unique charges listed in the Speer Reloading Manual. I use .38 caliber gas checks over the powder with the cup UP, drop in the shot to fill the case and put another gas check, cup DOWN, and roll crimp for a minature shotgun shell. I use a pencil, eraser down, to seat the gas check on the powder before loading the shot. Gas checks are less messy than glue, etc., to secure the top wad. I hope this helps.

My local snakes tie themselves in knots within 15-20 feet when shot. Be SURE to ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting shot loads in any handgun! That small shot often Bounces BACK from rocks, hard ground or hard target frame boards when testing loads!

AdamThanks and going forward I prob will get some gas checks.

Less time and gas checks can be had for a song...less mess and a bag will last forever if I am using them for snake shot only

6bg6ga
06-21-2019, 05:57 AM
My interest is really up after reading this. Going to dive into making some snake loads when we get to AZ.

Finster101
06-21-2019, 06:04 AM
I have loaded some using the Speer capsules in .357 cases and 1.5 grains of Promo. They were quite effective.

John McCorkle
06-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Tested on a soda bottle filled with water earlier...around 8 ft away

Ventilated the bottle pretty well alot of the shot did not penetrate the other side. Expected and not a big deal....snakes are soft and easy to mess up their insides.

Will pattern on a paper plate or box later and get pics

skeettx
06-21-2019, 10:22 PM
223 cut to cylinder length, circlip on extractor groove, gas check seated on powder, shot, gas check above shot, small crimp
All good

John McCorkle
06-21-2019, 10:54 PM
223 cut to cylinder length, circlip on extractor groove, gas check seated on powder, shot, gas check above shot, small crimp
All goodOk you peaked my interest...does the 223 case give more capacity for shot I'm guessing?

What size circlip and what powder charge do you use?

Got any pics of these set ups?

skeettx
06-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Been fishing and shooting :)

These are not for rebated cylinder, unless you grind off the tabs

http://i65.tinypic.com/2mq6s1k.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/23hk1ft.jpg

trapper9260
06-22-2019, 07:57 PM
I use snap on gasket hole punches for my over powder and over shot cards I make out of cracker box card board.I also it for shotgun cards also. For 38spl I put 2 cards over the powder and one over the shot and glue in place.I do the same for 357mag, 44 mag and 327mag .

John McCorkle
06-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Been fishing and shooting :)

These are not for rebated cylinder, unless you grind off the tabs

http://i65.tinypic.com/2mq6s1k.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/23hk1ft.jpgWow those look great! How much shot are you able to put in those? Are my eyes deceiving me or do those cases have a bit of bottle neck from the chamber after firing?

owejia
06-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Run a search for 38/357 shot shell loads and you will find a thread by Grumpa, now deceased, about using 357 Max brass in your 38's or 357 mag for making snake loads or shotshell loads. The 357 maximum brass is just the right length when the end is sized down to fit the cylinder throats. I also believe J Morris has done quite a bit of testing on shotshell loads, even in 380 acp. If the end is not crimped excessively they should be ok to reload several times.

skeettx
06-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Yes, they are bottlenecked to fit the cylinder of a revolver.
Never measured how much shot, just filled it up.

The 357 Max brass seems like the way to go now, but
back in the day, was not created yet

Mike

wonderwolf
06-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Yes, they are bottlenecked to fit the cylinder of a revolver.
Never measured how much shot, just filled it up.

The 357 Max brass seems like the way to go now, but
back in the day, was not created yet

Mike

What size of a snap ring is that?

skeettx
07-01-2019, 06:34 AM
?? I do not remember, I just had an assortment and used what would fit and
then took it to the store and bought more?

Mike

dverna
07-01-2019, 07:03 AM
skeettx,

Like your shotshells made from .223's. Should yield more charge weight.

We have one species of rattle snake and in 6 years have seen three so not too common at my location, but there are areas near me with higher concentrations. It is illegal to destroy them but if they are near the home they need to go.

I may make some up using #8 shot and 3 gr of Promo for giggles. With the bottleneck, do you have problems inserting the over powder wad? Do you use cardboard?

Thanks for sharing!

John McCorkle
07-01-2019, 12:35 PM
skeettx,

Like your shotshells made from .223's. Should yield more charge weight.

We have one species of rattle snake and in 6 years have seen three so not too common at my location, but there are areas near me with higher concentrations. It is illegal to destroy them but if they are near the home they need to go.

I may make some up using #8 shot and 3 gr of Promo for giggles. With the bottleneck, do you have problems inserting the over powder wad? Do you use cardboard?

Thanks for sharing!For larger snakes I don't see why shooting them more than once would be a prob either though. Killem dead...