PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length

GregLaROCHE
06-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Talking about accuracy, is length more important in a smooth bore BP gun than in a rifled muzzle loader or cartridge gun? I know a lot of old military flintlocks where long, but always thought that was so the second line of shooters could shoot past the first.

waksupi
06-19-2019, 08:39 AM
As with any other gun, a longer barrel will give a longer sighting plane. My main smoothbore is a 42", and one of my most accurate rifles is 44". I have shot very short barrel guns that were plenty accurate, if you could get a good sight of the target. The difference isn't so much the inherent accuracy of the barrel, as is the competence of the man behind the trigger.

indian joe
06-19-2019, 08:49 AM
As with any other gun, a longer barrel will give a longer sighting plane. My main smoothbore is a 42", and one of my most accurate rifles is 44". I have shot very short barrel guns that were plenty accurate, if you could get a good sight of the target. The difference isn't so much the inherent accuracy of the barrel, as is the competence of the man behind the trigger.

wot he sez == all of it :goodpost:

GregLaROCHE
06-19-2019, 05:41 PM
I was thinking there might be a difference in the flight of the ball. I didn’t think about the advantage in sighting. That’s a good point. Thanks.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-19-2019, 06:03 PM
One of the reasons for the very long barrels of the early muskets and rifles was the quality of the available gunpowder. The longer barrels provided a more complete burn for widely varying blackpowder. Sight radius was also a benefit. I longer heavier rifle or musket also makes a much better handle for a bayonet when the battle got that point.