PDA

View Full Version : Another substitute- Blackhorn209

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Here we go- another non corrosive claimed powder.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/home/

Has anyone tried this one?

Rick N Bama
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
A fellow I sometimes see at the range I use was in on the initial testing of the stuff. He says it's the best thing to come around since inlines were developed.

RNB

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I've been using T-7 in my front stuffers with good results in the shotgun. I should try some of this stuff.

I don't care about corrosive or not, as I clean anyway but sure am interested in accuracy.

Underclocked
10-26-2008, 01:15 PM
The big negative so far, aside from the price, has been that it is very picky about ignition arrangement and requires not only a full strength 209 primer but a breech plug with certain design characteristics. It also deposits a hard layer of carbon buildup in the breech plug - so much that misfires and hang fires will result in some rifles after about 10 shots. It takes a drill bit and good solvent to clean out the plugs.

The plus side for the powder is that it is very consistent in the right rifle type. It meters well in volumetric measures and produces very good velocity - roughly equivalent to T7 if not higher. No need to swab the bore, in fact most report rifles shooting better without swabbing. Breech plugs do not stick using BH209.

I fired off 10 loads yesterday in my G2 Contender 209x45 about as fast as I could load and shoot.

http://i35.tinypic.com/206n5hw.jpg

Nothing to really write home about but not that bad considering the wind and how fast I was loading/shooting. Cleaning the breech plug afterward took longer than cleaning the remainder of the rifle.

There is an even newer powder on the horizon which some few have already field-tested - the IMR White Hots. Those are white pellets and will probably have plenty of drawbacks as well.

It's awfully hard to top Swiss 3F.

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Well I guess that means I would have trouble with #11 caps?

Thanks for letting me know,. I was going to have my wife pick some up.

I guess I'll just stick with T-7 for now. Nice shooting there.. :drinks:

Underclocked
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Absolutely not fit for duty with caps or even lesser primers.

ps: I think I need a 237.5 grain bullet. ;)

mazo kid
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
No thanks; I'll just stick with plain old black powder. Cheaper and much more traditional.

Underclocked
10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2ic19as.jpg

My Accura seems to like the BH209 - but it also like T7.

I bought 5 containers when I ordered from Powder Valley - seemed foolish to order one container and still pay a HAZMAT. Buying 5, the per container delivered cost was about $32 - which is absolutely ridiculous for 10 oz of powder, but I had to try it. Luckily, a couple of my inlines like it.

corvette8n
10-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Pat:
see my previous post
It is the only stuff I can shoot more than 1 shot without cleaning.
Out of 3 differant muzzleloaders this one is most picky about powder
it is a CVA Kodiak, the other was a Buckhorn, and my first was a Bobcat
I bought two cans of BH209 mailorder as I could not get it locally.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=37938

PatMarlin
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Looks like it works very well as you say for inlines and 209's.

I've got 2 side locks and I converted my inline shotgun so all #11 caps. They fire every time with T7 so I think I'll get another jug of T7 and keep working with it,.

crowbeaner
10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm using regular old Pyrodex RS and #11 magnum CCI caps and my CVA rewarded me with a 1 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 after a fouling shot. I'm shooting Hornady 44 cal. 240 swaged lead hps and a black T/C .429 sabot over 100 grains RS. B**** to clean, but it sure shoots well. It ain't broke and I ain't fixing it. It's an older one with the 1-32 twist instead of 1-28.
Those newer powders are too expensive for me.

13Echo
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Not that it makes any difference with a substitute but Blackhorn appears to be a smokeless, nitrocellulose based powder, with additives to make it smoke. the Mad Monk investigated it and found about 13% water soluble components and the rest dissolved in acetone and dried to leave a plastic film that burned vigorously. In other words, Nitrocellulose. A lot of money to pay just for a little smoke.

Jerry Liles

Underclocked
10-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Have to agree with that conclusion, 13Echo. And I didn't say this but there is already a very similar behaving smokeless powder that costs considerably less. I won't be buying anymore.

PatMarlin
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
WHo is "Mad Monk"? ..:mrgreen:

Underclocked
10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Pat, feel free to post "most" of my pm'd answer. You know which to leave out.

13Echo
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I just read a review of Blackhorn in the American Single Shot Rifle Association Journal. Testing was done with a 45-70 Springfield with a pristine bore. The powder performed as advertised, except after 3 days the bore was so badly rusted and pitted it was ruined. It seems there are some potassium containing chemicals that result in rust if the barrel isn't cleaned just like for corrosive primers. You may not need to clean or blowtube between shots but you cannot not clean the barrel with a solvent like water.

Jerry Liles

madcaster
01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Has anyone tried this one?[/QUOTE]

What for?I have Goex,don't have ANY desire to try any of that junk!

PatMarlin
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
We can't easily get BP in California... :groner:

T-7 is a decent alternative, and I think fast becoming the best out of the bunch.

Heavy lead
01-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm throwing in my observation on Blackhorn 209, now that the season is done.
Late November I fired 11 rounds of Hornady 265 grain bullet in a sabot to sight in and get used to this powder. Accuracy was fair to good at 2moa at 100 yards, used a WW209 primer TC encore 50 caliber chronographed at 1875 average temps were around 30 degrees 100 grain equivalant charge was used on all, didn't weigh. Recoil was much less that black or pyrodex, cleanup was easy with just plain old hoppe's number 9 after I let it set overnight. I hunted with this 7 times, 2 of them being less than 10 degrees with no deer being seen. Today I unloaded by taking the breech plug out hoping there would be no condesation or any other kind of water damage, the powder looked the same as it went in, no sign of any moisture present, no corrosion or discoloration of any kind, it has been in the basement which is dry and we have had dry but cold weather. I did find I needed no water at all for cleanup in contrast to what has been said on earlier posts and will shoot more of this to verify, so far so good. Seems like it is what it says it is.
Unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to shoot anything with it though, maybe next year.