PDA

View Full Version : Finally bougfht my first 92

FISH4BUGS
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I just picked up an older (maybe 10 years or more old - the owner said he had it for 10 years and never fired it) UNFIRED (the follower is unmarked) Rossi Puma (made in Brazil on the side of the barrel) lever action 92 SRC.What a cutie! I can't wait. I paid $400 for it, not a great deal but I guess it was reasonably fair.
I have been shooting 38/357 in handguns for years and will look forward to shooting this rifle. In addition to the regular 357's and 38's I shoot with the 358156, I have a DC Lyman 358627 215 gr SWG GC that I have neer used. It looks like a very long 358156.
It seems to me that this might be a great bullet for the rifle. I am thinking of having Buckshot HP one of the cavities. If I start to hunt again, that would make a great deer rifle for the woods. Who needs a 300 Crusher Magnum to shoot a deer at 75 yards? I would bet there have been millions of deer taken with a 44/40 and 38/40 and 45 LC 92's in our history.
I would think that I could load the rifle ammunition higher than the handgun ammunition. However, I can't find ANY loading info for this 215 gr.
Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any info on loading RIFLE loads in 38/357? I try to use 231 and 296 exclusively for all my handgun loads but would get a different powder for this rifle if I had to.
I would be VERY interested in your experiences with this mould and any loads that you might have for it.....particularly for the rifle as opposed to handgun.
Thanks,
Donald in NH

rhead
10-26-2008, 09:45 AM
The Hornady #2 manuel has data for 38, 357mag, and 44 mag rifle separate from pistol data.
I do not know if they still keep the data separate in the newer editions. My scanner in presently not working and I don't like typing load data due to my typing skill or lack thereof.
The rifle data is a few percent higher on some of the max loads and the same on others. 231 and 296 are not listed. I have had best results with 2400 at 90% t0 95% listed max loads. Others have had better results with lil gun but either I couldn't find the righ combo or my gun didn't like it.
Good luck. I know you will have fun.

looseprojectile
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I have three of the Rossi 92s. Love em all. Check this out.

http://www.lasc.us/Taylor357Rossi.htm

This guy Paco Kelly does some wild and crazy stuff with the Rossi guns.
This Jim Taylor does the same thing I have done to my Rossi 92s.

Follow Paco Kelly around the net and you will be amazed and entertained.

Life is good

Muddy Creek Sam
10-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Check out http://www.stevesgunz.com He has a great DVD on slicking up the 92 and sells the parts to take the safety off for use in Cowboy action shooting.

Sam :-D

EDK
10-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Glenn Fryxell has an article on the lasc site specifically on the 358627. The man is a treasure of information...and usually on stuff I need! (He is supposed to be working on a book...I want TWO autographed!) There was a two cavity LYMAN on EvilBay at about $55 earlier this morning...saw one go for $125 last summer. There's also an article at lasc. on MARLIN 1894s that will give you some load data on 358156 and others.

John Taffin remarked that "a 357 levergun is one of the most useful firearms available, second only to a 22 Long Rifle handgun and lever gun." I prefer a 44, but John is probably correct. You don't see a lot of leverguns in 357 or 44 sitting in the sales rack, used or new.

Don't HP the mould. I mentioned a FORSTER hollow point attachment for the case trimmer in a thread about HP moulds yesterday IIRC...it will hollow point the boolit in your loaded ammo...a lot less trouble than a dedicated HP mould and higher volume casting.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Jack Stanley
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll bet you are gonna just love that 92 action ! I had one of the Browning BL rifles chambered in .357 and it was nice . I still have a model 53 and I don't think I'll ever sell it .

Jack

Buckshot
10-27-2008, 02:23 AM
..................I bought one of those earlier this year. I had bought a color cased Puma rifle with a 24" octagonal barrel in 45 Colt last year. This one in 38/357 is the 20" round barrel blued version. Big 5 Sporting goods had it on sale and checking around thier price was at least $40 below anyone elses. I'm glad I bought it. It's light, fast and handy. With little done in the way of load experimentation FOR it, it has done well with stuff I had on hand for other guns.

Seeing the posts about improving it certainly seems plausible because in the short time I used mine it became noticeably smoother. I'm sure if you checked those guys out you could really slick one of these up. I really like mine, as it's flat just fun to shoot. Kinda like a 22RF on steroids :-)

...............Buckshot

crazy mark
10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Funny you should mention finding one in that good of shape. I just picked one up also with a 20" barrel to replace the one with a 16" barrel my stepson stole. I figure it's been gone almost 3 years so not much chance of seeing it again. I paid $275 for mine in a pawn shop. A couple of minor scratches on the metal and the wood was perfect walnut looking. Not that blackish color. I am happy to have another one and hopefully it will shoot the heavy 35's (+180) as good as the 16" one did. Mark

AlaskaMike
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Regarding rifle loads, I think you'll get your best results from 296, or maybe even Lil' Gun. I'm going to be experimenting with 4198 in my .44 Mag Rossi 92, but I don't expect to be able to get the same velocity as I do with 296.

Mike

Poohgyrr
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Congrats. The .357/Levergun is a great combo. I use my standard loads, with 296 since that's what I have. A lot of guys report great results with Lil Gun as well. Good shooting.

shooterg
11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Maybe "10s" of deer killed with modern 92 replicas in 45, but zero in that caliber of the original 92's.
The 45 LC versions are only made for SASS's "modern cowboys" !

Pepe Ray
11-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi neighbor.
Regarding your search for data for that 215 gr, SWC.
Of course you realize that mold is not currently in production. Load data for it was published in the Lyman 47th Ed. but omitted in the 48th Ed. So you'll have to look for a used Reloading book. I recommend that you get it because the info given is more useful when side by side comparisons can be viewed. There are 3 sections showing this boolet. Rifles. TC contenders and TC Contenders in 357 Max. My scanner's on the fritz or I'd post them for you.
Pepe Ray

txpete
11-04-2008, 06:56 PM
my wife bought me one of the navy arms 92's 9 years ago for christmas.it is sweet and loves "boolits".this one is in 44/40 and someday would love to pick one up in 357.
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/watermarkpete.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/44-40002pete.jpg

NHlever
11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, I thought sure that I could lay my hands on data for that 215 grain bullet, and I know I've seen it somewhere, but this is the best I could do. The 195 grain data would give you a rough starting place anyway....... hope it helps

yeahbub
11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's a link where you can find load info for a great many caliber/bullet combinations, including a .35 cal 215gr cast boolet:
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=357%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Poohgyrr
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I was thinking of the group buy we did, but can't remember where I thought I saw data for it.......

looseprojectile
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I got my Rossi 92 SRC a couple of years ago. It is an older one without the safety on the bolt. The chamber is quite generous and has to be to feed long straight cases. I can live with that.
The reason I am bringing this old topic up is, I just got the Ranch Dog .359 190 mould.
The Rossi is a good choice as opposed to the Marlin 94 because the ammo I loaded with these boolits have an OAL of 1.660" - 1.670". I have had trouble with the Marlin in .44 Magnum that has a shorter action. Had to use short nose boolits. Have not had the Marlin in .357. These run through the Rossi smooth and slick. My loads are near a full case of W 296 and with this boolit they look like the front two thirds of a 38 55.
I was not sure if this would work and I am pleased that it does. I had thought that I might have to use .38 special cases for them to be short enough.
Years ago nearly every load I loaded for the .357 had to be balls to the wall. I have since awakened to the fact that this is not necessary or needed. These boolits loafing along at fifteen or sixteen hundred FPS will handle nearly all my hunting needs.
Life is good