PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph trick

RegCom7
06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
The other day I accidentally shot one of the "rabbit ear" rods from the top of my chronograph. It was badly twisted and bent, and I would have to heat up the rod to straighten it out again. But I happened to see some long bamboo barbecue skewers in the camping section of Walmart. It was only 88 cents for the package so I took them home, cut one to length, and it works perfectly. Now if I do happen to shoot one again I have a lifetime supply of bamboo skewers.

tazman
06-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Very nice.

PbHurler
06-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Nice!

Necessity is the mother of invention

Way to think "out of the box"

tunnug
06-13-2019, 11:30 PM
The local Ace sells different sizes wood dowels, I've used the proper sized one to replace the shot off one on my chrono, I try to not hit it so it has lasted me a while.

John Boy
06-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Now if I do happen to shoot one again I have a lifetime supply of bamboo skewers. That's an old trick

Hossfly
06-13-2019, 11:42 PM
If been using that trick for some time after i shot the metal ones, then shot the back timer, still going tho.

Conditor22
06-14-2019, 01:57 AM
That's an old trick

Maybe an old trick, but if we don't talk about the "old tricks" from time to time the newbies won't know about them and some of the oldies will have forgotten about them.:)

Petrol & Powder
06-14-2019, 07:47 AM
There are two kinds of chronograph users: Those that have shot their chronograph and those that are going to shoot their chronograph. :-D

Maven
06-14-2019, 08:34 AM
There are two kinds of chronograph users: Those that have shot their chronograph and those that are going to shoot their chronograph. :-D

So true (sigh)!

MrWolf
06-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Replaced mine awhile back. Lot easier to replace wood.

Camper64
06-14-2019, 11:19 AM
In a pinch, i've taking a metal coat hanger and cut it to length.

gpidaho
06-14-2019, 11:28 AM
I've shot those so many times I gave up and bought a LabRadar. LOL Gp

Conditor22
06-14-2019, 12:29 PM

I have an old *** chrono; IF I shoot that one will it break the curse and keep my new one safe :)

John Boy
06-14-2019, 12:40 PM
There are two kinds of chronograph users: Those that have shot their chronograph and those that are going to shoot their chronograph. Been there and the reason I switched over to a MagnetoSport. No need for a stand - a 10' cable - paper data recorder - screens and have to order new parts. Plus the MagnetoSport is just attached to the barrel, shoot in the basement at any distance and even in the dark or low light is so desired. Plus with the MagnetoSpeed - download the data to your cell phone and then to a spreadsheet if desired
http://www.longrangeonly.com/magnetospeed-sporter-review/

RegCom7
06-14-2019, 12:58 PM
I should have guessed that everyone else had already been there and done that with the dowels. :) This was the first time I shot mine.

pertnear
06-14-2019, 01:31 PM
.....But I happened to see some long bamboo barbecue skewers in the camping section of Walmart. It was only 88 cents for the package so I took them home, cut one to length, and it works perfectly....
As a side benefit, I bought a pack of those skewers & keep them in my shop. They are very straight & tough & I use them to get my seating depth for different bullets in my rifles. I use a razor blade to mark the skewer at the muzzle. I keep them hanging there handy next to my cleaning rods. It's a lifetime supply for 88 cents!