PDA

View Full Version : PP handgun loads

NSP64
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I bought a new rcbs .429 250gr K rcbs mold and it drops the boolits small. They fall through the chambers:( Since I am experimenting with PPing I was wondering if this would work for revolvers. Has anyone tried this? The other option would be to go to a 20-1 recipe. Right now I use WDWW with tin added.Velocity target is 1100fps.

rhead
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
It will usually work, but except as a last resort it is probably more trouble than it is worth. I have used paper patching to firelap one barrel and checked all my revolvers with patched rifle ammo. Accuracy did not suffer in any of the cases. Be very careful in crimping the cases just enough to to prevent recoil creep without tearing the paper.

longbow
10-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Can't speak from personal experience but I have an article in a gun magazine from a few years back about paper patching for .44 mag and .45 Long Colt for both revolver and carbine. The paper patched bullets used were commercially available at the time.

From that I have to assume it works and revolver has got to be a test for a paper patched boolit with cylinder gap and all.

I think you would have to size down by several thou though to get enough room for 2 wraps of paper. Even at 0.0015" paper you would have to start at 0.004" or more under groove diameter or cylinder throat diameter.

Longbow

NSP64
10-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm going to try some today. They cast .429. I need .433. so two wraps should size nicely.:drinks:

Digital Dan
10-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Ran some of my rifle loads thru a SBH and they worked quite well. Caution on the crimp though. A roll crimp will not work and there is a question of magnitude when using a taper crimp. I had no issues but the potential is there certainly. Insufficient crimp tension will almost certainly result in bullets binding the cylinder. I'd proceed carefully....

On another issue, I'm not sure your dimensions are off that much, if at all. Have you tried shooting any of them? What is your bore/groove dimension?

leftiye
10-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Try Teflon tape. Run them through a sizer after wrapping. Might stay on better with a good crimp too.

NSP64
10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Shot them dry over 15.0 gr bluedot, It was getting dark so the chrono didn't work:( guess I'll have to go back out later in the week.:drinks:

NSP64
10-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Here's target; supported @50yrds. 5 moa reddot. Flagged holes are Paperpatched. shot 6 unpatched ,lubed with speedgreen(only found 5)