PDA

View Full Version : Groove dia. PP, last match

martinibelgian
06-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Just back from the Alsfeld BP matches, 2 matches at 300m.
The 1st one is the Alsfelder buffalo, 20 shots at 300 using the 300m ISSF target. This is a pretty challenging target, the 10-ring at about 1 1/4 moa.
As usual, with the German crowd, some pretty good shooting was going on. This is shooting with sling only, no support. No scores yet, but unfortunately I didn't perform too well ��.
Shots were either going high or low, the 10-ring kept evading me...��. Basically, a match to forget. Conditions were pretty challenging, pretty gusty wind doing weird things....
Next day I also shot the German 300m BP championship, 10 shots at 300 for match rifle.
This time I did a bit better, ending with a 88, the winner shooting 90. Shooting was so close that I ended 5th, 2 others with the same score before me.
The load I was shooting in my no. 2 Musket match rifle was a groove-dia. PP bullet just about filling the case neck. It does seem to work OK: this is a 520gr. 16:1 Metford-profile bullet in front of 78gr of Swiss Fg. I only shot 2 in the 10-ring, 5 in the 9-ring, 2 in the 8-ring and a #@& 7....
Still, not too unhappy, and it seems the load/rifle combination shows promise.
Wiping regime was a bore pig, followed by a dry patch. Now to try the same with Swiss 1 1/2 Fg and vary seating depth a bit to try and find the sweet spot. It just never stops....

Don McDowell
06-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Gert I have not shot with a sling the way you guys do, but I have noticed that shooting from a wrist rest if the height isn't spot on where it needs to be it can throw as much vertical into the target as having cross ticks a bit to high or low can.
Any way hope you get it straightened out.

country gent
06-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Sling tension becomes important also since it can affect the rifles and recoil control.

martinibelgian
06-10-2019, 12:19 PM
FWIW, the 10-ring is 1 1/4 MOA (made a mistake above), the 9-ring 2 1/4 MOA. Nobody shot a perfect score yet - and it probably won't happen with our BP single shots . Last year, someone did shoot a 96 though...

Don McDowell
06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
That's sort of like the 500 yard target we shoot in midrange, very small x ring, and the score rings are pretty tight. 1/2 minute change on the sight goes a very long way..