PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

Echo
10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
I saw what looked to be a good buy on ebay - a couple of boolit molds - I bid and got them, and, as the seller lives here in Tucson, I went by to pick them up. Really didn't need a minie ball mold and a Dc Lyman RB mold, but thought I might be able to turn them over and make a couple of bucks. Well.

The RB mold throws .350 rb's. Hmmm. Might be just what I need to slug bores, so I lit up the old Lyman furnace and stoked it with some pure lead ingots I had. The mold was a litttle dirty, but after the first couple of fills it started turning out good looking balls. Hmmmm.

(Bottom) pour the mold, set it on the little pedestal I built under the spout, pick up the sprue buttons from the preceding cast, check the little balls - man, they look good - pick up the mold, knock the sprue, pour another couple of cavities full, set it down, pick up the sprue buttons & return to pot, check balls - Man, they really look GOOD - repeat, repeat, for a couple of pounds worth of 65 grain pure lead balls.

Bad News? Now I'm starting to think about a 36 caliber frontloader... Oh me.

mooman76
10-25-2008, 04:19 PM
After all that you didn't say what the bad news was! If you've never shot a ML, they are damn fun to shoot!

rhead
10-25-2008, 04:46 PM
If you don't get a .36 cal muzzle loader quick you may be in danger of having wasted your money and your time. It ought to make a good jackolope gun.

Jon K
10-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Nah...........what he's trying to say is (bad news)........he's got the addiction, that plagues us, and is still trying to deny it, that's why the term "bad news".
Don't feel alone, I had posted before, "I know I got it bad, cause I've bought moulds for guns I don't yet have, then what happens?

Have Fun,
Jon

leadeye
10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
He can use them for fishing sinkers if he doesn't want to buy a muzzle loader, or maybe as large buckshot. No mold is a waste, you just have to find the use.

HighCountryGuide
10-25-2008, 05:28 PM
.350 is the diameter for OOO buck. I have a .36 underhammer and have been using the Hornady OOO instead of their .350 roundball. Same thing, just a hell of a lot cheaper to buy it 5# at a time. If you deer hunt in thick brush, it's a good size, or just send 'em on up to Maine and I'll get rid of 'em for ya ;)

James C. Snodgrass
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I shoot conicals in mine , But the balls are just the size to melt in a ladle and pour soft nosed hard cast bullets . I have done some 500 gr SP 458's with 200 gr of pure it makes a dandy . The 65 gr ball would be about perfect for a 180-200 gr bullet nose . James

mainiac
10-25-2008, 08:34 PM
.350 is the diameter for OOO buck. I have a .36 underhammer and have been using the Hornady OOO instead of their .350 roundball. Same thing, just a hell of a lot cheaper to buy it 5# at a time. If you deer hunt in thick brush, it's a good size, or just send 'em on up to Maine and I'll get rid of 'em for ya ;)

HighCountryGuide, you have a PM.

Old Ironsights
10-25-2008, 08:41 PM
That's a good WristRocket mould too...

Echo
10-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Jon K has it - I see a set of molds that throw .375 boolits, and lust after it, and I don't even have a gun for that caliber! Oh me...