PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base Lubing

old benn
06-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Bevel bulllet lubing
Conventional lubing 200gr .452 cast SWC (Lee Mold) BEVEL BASE. Flat base not available in the aluminum Lee Mold of this dimension. Using Lyman Lube/sizer .452 and CAN NOT adjust so lube stays out of the bevel or squirts out above the grove band onto the front of the bullet. (Hope I said that understandably) Coming out of the mold at .452 so really do not need sized. Need best method of getting the lube in the single lube grove and away from the base of the bullet, because of the bevel.

Tatume
06-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Close most of the holes in your lube die with lead shot. Use a small hammer to drive the pellets into the holes, leaving open only one row of holes. Align that row of holes with the groove in your bullets. If the problem persists, back off the pressure on your lube reservoir.

MT Chambers
06-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Get you a Star sizer, it will do it all in 1 stroke, and made to customize sizing to as many or as few grooves as you wish. Nose first sizing for best concentricity, and do 1000 or so an hr.

Tom W.
06-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Or an RCBS sizer die. They don't have as many holes as the Lyman. That's what I use on my bevel base boolits.

243winxb
06-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Like i said........... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lubing-bevel-base-cast-lead-bullet.852434/#post-11153069[smilie=s:

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-09-2019, 04:44 PM
The Star sizer really shines in this situation.

Mike W1
06-09-2019, 05:46 PM
I've never had that problem but I've read of using a styrofoam disk beneath the bullet to prevent lube seeping upward on it. MIGHT work for bevel base bullets and worth a try at least.

gwpercle
06-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Close most of the holes in your lube die with lead shot. Use a small hammer to drive the pellets into the holes, leaving open only one row of holes. Align that row of holes with the groove in your bullets. If the problem persists, back off the pressure on your lube reservoir.

And back off the pressure...most apply way too much pressure...if its coming out the top...too much.
Apply just enoug lube to fill 50% of the groove , spin the boolit in the die 90 degrees and apply just enough pressure to fill the remainder of the lube groove.
Go easy , easy on the pressure .
Gary

Tim357
06-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Or, don't worry about it. Even in the Arizona heat I've never had a cartridge fail to go " bang" with lube on the bevel. Alox/beeswax and never had a misfire. YMMV, but this is my experience.

Rich/WIS
06-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Have tha mold and solved it by removing the sprue plate and milling the top of the mold down enough to remove the bevel. Now drops a flat base bullet that weighs 190 grs cast from range lead.

osteodoc08
06-19-2019, 05:50 AM
BB boolits and the LAM are just star crossed lovers. I only lube BB boolits in my friends Star and will cast up a bunch before heading over there of an afternoon of guy talk and lubrisizing.

6bg6ga
06-19-2019, 06:02 AM
The Lyman and some others to put it simply are not sophisticated enough to size the bevel base bullets. The Star and MAgma sizes/lubricators are generally a nose first sizer that positions the bullet correctly so that the lube is pressurized into the lube groove. The Lyman and some others work on the base down principal and simply will not work on BB bullets.