The brass is pretty spendy so I was looking fo a break of some kind
I found Swedish wood tip training rounds
so I bought 3000 rounds pulled the wood, stored the powder
and reloaded the brass..it works great.

I started thinking about this powder,, and the fact I have 7 pounds of it
I spent over 6 months on the internet and phone researching
the powder is square

I am not going to go into details.. I will not be responsible for others
but using a crony, taking your time. being patient I worked up a load for a 30 30
they said it could not be done, they said this powder is tomato fertilizer
well sir. I will take all of your fertilizer off your hands. lol

tbx-4
06-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Good work!

EMC45
06-08-2019, 02:59 PM
My hats off to you! I too have been admonished to take older powder and dump it in the yard. I worked up loads using old data and it's just fine.

Gewehr-Guy
06-08-2019, 06:21 PM
I've purchased a case of that bulleted blank ammo, and just could not throw away all that nice looking powder, so I did the same thing, worked up a load for cast in a 30-06. Some think that it is like dynamite and any charge will turn your rifle into a grenade, but the charges I pulled were around 23grs behind the wooden bullet. My opinion is that it behaves like a slow shotgun powder, perhaps like 800X or Blue Dot, but I don't have a chrono to make a comparison. Mine came in red boxes , not those pretty white Browning belts, so my powder might be different than yours.

RED BEAR
06-08-2019, 07:15 PM
I ended up with 16 pounds of 20mm powder everyone said its fertilizer. Found a use my 6.5x55 actually found load data and works great. Well it shoots better than i can.

john.k
06-08-2019, 08:03 PM
I always though US 20mm powder was 4831,and that was the source of the Hodgdon powder,WW2 surplus.

frodo
06-08-2019, 10:43 PM
I've purchased a case of that bulleted blank ammo, and just could not throw away all that nice looking powder, so I did the same thing, worked up a load for cast in a 30-06. Some think that it is like dynamite and any charge will turn your rifle into a grenade, but the charges I pulled were around 23grs behind the wooden bullet. My opinion is that it behaves like a slow shotgun powder, perhaps like 800X or Blue Dot, but I don't have a chrono to make a comparison. Mine came in red boxes , not those pretty white Browning belts, so my powder might be different than yours.

I bought 2 shipments First shipment was with the bando and the 2nd was the red boxs
which kinda chapped my **** a little bit.. I cut the 1500 rd bandoleer into 50 rd bandoleers and sold them for $20.00 ech this about paid for the ammo, when I saw the red boxes I had some choice words that scared the cat

Burnt Fingers
06-09-2019, 11:39 AM
I know that a lot of the Vectan powders are shaped like that.

EMC45
06-09-2019, 03:53 PM
I would weigh and average out powder charges for about 5-7 rounds, then I would extrapolate the known wooden bullet weight compared to the powder charge. I would then work on a similar bullet weight/powder combo and start low and go from there.
I did this with some COMBLOC corrosive 7.62X54R and it worked out just fine. Got a decent amount of powder and pulled bullets outta the deal and still shoot the powder.

Markopolo
06-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Are you guys saying that the Swedes made wooden boolits??? I do t think I have ever seen anything like that before...

Newboy
06-09-2019, 05:28 PM
i believe the wood is for short range training ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gewehr-Guy
06-09-2019, 07:06 PM
The wooden bulleted blanks were meant to be used with a blank firing device, that screwed onto the muzzle. It looks kind of like a round nosed muzzle brake, without a hole in the end. It would catch the bullet and shatter it, with the wood fragments escaping through a series of holes around it. I read that all training blanks were loaded with used brass, which was from returned once fired ball ammo. I wish mine had come in those nifty MG belts.

Markopolo
06-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Wow.. I never seen such a thing.

Dutchman
06-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Some various tidbits of info concerning the subject Swedish powder:

Brisant Krut ---- Lös Patron & Kammerpatron

In Mattson's book, Handvapnen Och Deras Vård (small arms and their care) there is a paragraph that mentions the powder used in the Lös Patron (wooden bullet blanks).

Till laddningen användes ett mera brisant krut än vid den skarpa ammunitionen, benämnt gevärsexerciskrut.

Google translate: used to charge a more brisant gunpowder than by live ammunition, rifle drill called gunpowder.

Google translate couldn't translate brisant. So I went looking and the English equivalent is brisance. But god help you if you wanted to define brisance! Since I graduated high school and made it through college english I knew brisant was the adjective describing the noun, krut. This is what you mostly get: Brisance is the shattering capability of an explosive.

Well... that doesn't tell me anything but this does: Brisance is a measure of the rapidity with which an explosive develops its maximum pressure.
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tm.../Brisance.html

Why couldn't they just say it was a FAST powder? That is apparently all it's saying. Gevärexercisekrut 1 is a faster powder than regular live ammunition, i.e. patron m/41. This much we have known since Anders supplied the original translation to Dana Jones for Crown Jewels.

For the powder description of kammerpatron m/12: krutet är av samma slag, som användes i de lösa påtronerna eller gevärexercisekrut 1.

gunpowder is of the same type used in the blank cartridges or rifle drill gunpowder 1.

Mattson's book was published in 1916 and was a standard textbook used in Swedish officer training/schooling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Swedish military designation is: Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (rifle practice powder 1).

It is a fast pistol powder. It is NOT blank powder as used in USGI blanks. I've used it for years in cast bullet rifle loads as it is very close to Unique in burn rate. Perhaps very slightly faster.

The date of manufacture of the gallery powder used in the below loads was 1963. The m/14 Lös patroner (wood tip) and m/12 Kammarpatron (gallery practice) use the same powder type mentioned above.

The notation on this target reads:
50 yd
1891 (Argentine Mauser, 7.65x53)
2-7x32
13.2 (gr) Swede GP (gallery powder)
200 gr
311299 (Lyman mold)

http://images50.fotki.com/v1570/photos/4/28344/7865574/DSCF8940rd-vi.jpg

Notation reads:
50 yd
4th target
Gew98 (Oberndorf 1917, 8x57)
4x32 ler (long eye relief scope)
10.5 gr Swede GP
165 Loverin (Lyman 323470)
.324"

http://images52.fotki.com/v1563/photos/4/28344/7865574/DSCF8955rd-vi.jpg

Notation:
8x57 Persian (Persian 98/29 Mauser 8x57)
220 gr RN (Lyman 323471)
.324" (bullet diameter)
15.8 gr Swede GP (gallery powder)
Turk case (primed Turkish military case)
that one "flyer" at 10 o'clock was from the previous 5 rds during scope adjustment.
that's 5 shots into one hole @ 50 yds with cast bullets using pull down powder made in 1963.

http://images61.fotki.com/v439/photos/2/28344/1676633/001-vi.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

6.5mm Lös patron m/94. (blank m/94)
Uses reloaded cases. The bullet is a hollow wooden one which disintegrates
after it leaves the barrel. A very fast powder called "Gevärsexerciskrut 1
is used. The cartridges are packed in boxes containing 10rounds on
strippers. The boxes have have green labels. The boxes (without linen
straps) are packed in green wooden cases m/68. The cases are not steel lined
and the lids are fastened with screws.

6.5mm Kammarpatron m/12 (gallery practice round m/12).
Uses reloaded cases, no crimping of the bullet. A tight fit is possible due
to the fact that the bullet is slightly oversized compared to the case neck.
The bullet is made of wood and has a cupro-nickel jacket. The muzzle vel. is
300meters /sec. Due to it's limited mass and velocity the bullet is harmless
over 200 meters range. The powder is of the same type used in the blanks.
The cartridges are made at Marieberg. The cartridges(without strippers) are
packed in paper boxes containing 100rds. The boxes have blue labels. The
boxes, are packed 27 in cartridge case m/05. The case are steel lined and
with a soldered lid. The wooden lid is attached with screws.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

http://images49.fotki.com/v630/photos/2/28344/3886627/004x-vi.jpg