PDA

View Full Version : 44 EGYPYIAN : looking for special mold

JLBOIX
10-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi all,
i am new on this forum, written from southern france.
sorry for my poor english. :-(

I am looking for a special design 44 egyptian mold
ideal could be :

390-400 gr
4 grooves with 0.3" between gove number 2 and groove number 3
length : 1.2" --> 1.25"
without GC

I found RCBS 44-370-FN but not really ideal.

does exists THE mold t which would go up to these characteristics in a standard production ?

thank you in advance
Best regards.

Jean-Louis:drinks:

bishopgrandpa
10-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Check with Mountain Molds and design exactly what you want.

missionary5155
10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Welcome and GREETINGS !
I think those Lyman numbers are 446109 or Lyman 446110.

Kraschenbirn
10-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Have you slugged the bore of your rifle? Barnes' COTW lists the nominal bullet dia. for the 11.43x50R as .448" so even if your barrel is essentially pristine, .447" is going to be slightly undersized. Several years ago, I owned an Egyptian RB (dated 1872) with a dark bore and rough chamber throat (from corrosize primers?) which had a groove dia. measuring around .450". I formed brass (which, as I recall, were a bit short and undersized at the base) from .348 WCF cases and loaded 250 gr RNFPs (for the .45 LC) sized .452" seated over something like 50 gr. FFg with COW filler.

Can't recall ever shooting the piece at any distance over a 100M but accuracy was no better than marginal (by my standards, anyway). Traded the gun to someone who knew considerably more than I about BP cartridge guns than I and he played around with it for a while...without much better results than mine...and eventually had it rebarrelled to .44-77 Sharps as a base to build a BPCR gun.

Bill

JLBOIX
10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
thank you for your help.
but 446109 LYMAN mold is only 340 gr. not enough
i would +/- approx 400 gr

Jean-Louis

JLBOIX
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Mountain Molds !!!

good sourcing.
I did not know. Resolution if I do not find standards molds. thank you very much, you have tremendous website !!!

Jean Louis

Le Loup Solitaire
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Bonjour, Soyez bienvenu chez nous. Je ne peux pas vous aider directemment avec votre probleme, mais les autres membres ici peuvent vous conseiller avec des renseignements de toutes sortes pour vous aider a trouver n'importe quoi meme si c'est quelquechose tres speciale. Bien sur, parfois il faut abouler un peu de fric pour trouver une bonne solution, mais ca fait partie du jeu. N'hesitez jamais posez des questions; quelqu'un vous repondra toujours. Bien entendu l'anglais marche mieux parce qu'il n'y a pas beaucoup de monde dans le camp qui pige le francais. A propos tout ca vous vous demerdez formidablement en anglais, donc il n'y aura jamais un probleme. Alors bonne route et bonne chance. LLS

JLBOIX
10-26-2008, 12:40 AM
grand merci l'ami.
A charge de revanche, si le vieux continent peut aider sur des rechargements franco français : correspondances, moules, autres (11mm gras, 1873, 1892, etc.)
bon dimanche.
Jean Louis
42°29'20" N
02°48'32" E

deltaenterprizes
10-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Bonjour, Soyez bienvenu chez nous. Je ne peux pas vous aider directemment avec votre probleme, mais les autres membres ici peuvent vous conseiller avec des renseignements de toutes sortes pour vous aider a trouver n'importe quoi meme si c'est quelquechose tres speciale. Bien sur, parfois il faut abouler un peu de fric pour trouver une bonne solution, mais ca fait partie du jeu. N'hesitez jamais posez des questions; quelqu'un vous repondra toujours. Bien entendu l'anglais marche mieux parce qu'il n'y a pas beaucoup de monde dans le camp qui pige le francais. A propos tout ca vous vous demerdez formidablement en anglais, donc il n'y aura jamais un probleme. Alors bonne route et bonne chance. LLS

Would you please translate so the majority of members may also benefit from this information?

cr17
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I'll jump in, just in case LLS doesn't get a chance.
" Hello and welcome. I can't help you with your problem directly, but the other members here can advise you with information or all sorts to help you find whatever, even if it's out of the ordinary. However, sometimes it's necessary to spend a bit of cash, but that's part of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions, someone will always respond. Of course English works better, because there's not many in the group that speak French. That said your English is excellent , so there will not be a problem. So, (Sorry LLS "bonne route" means "have a good trip" where I come from? ) and good luck.

LBOIX repsonded : Thanks very much. In the way of exchange, if the "old continent" can help with load data, information, moulds, ( 11mm Gras etc) ("Let me know" is understood).

A nice exchange in my opinion and yet another reason why I like this group.

MtGun44
10-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Welcome. I, too, find your English excellent. My French is nearly zero !

I would repeat the suggestion that the bore be slugged if it has not
been already done. These rifles varied considerably when new and wear
or modifications will cause even more possible variation.

I have a .43 Spanish RB, and the Lyman 439186 is undersized and only shoots
well with 10.0 gr Unique, which I believe is hitting the boolit hard enough
to bump it up to bore size. I will beagle the mold when I get a chance to
increase the as cast diameter.

Bill