PDA

View Full Version : If you had the choice, which would you choose?

Land Owner
06-07-2019, 05:06 AM
[LATE NOTE] See post #29 also.

My reloading, shooting, and hunting Mentor for more than 30-years passed in 2017 taking the air out of the room and my motivation with him. It was like getting sucker punched in the gut from which I have not yet recovered.

He left me his estate including his RCBS Rockchucker, dies, and the plethora of guns and equipment (mostly green) amassed in his years of shooting and reloading. I have been "dead" to reloading, shooting, and hunting since his passing.

Yesterday my next door neighbor of 2-years approached me to teach him how to reload!?! He's younger than me as well a Fireman for the Orlando Airport - all well and good. I'm a recently retired Civil/Structural Engineer.

He is also pro-RKBA and displays his "Don't Tread On Me" license plate on his front bumper, so we get along in these already. Next Thursday we start this trek.

My question in the title is, if my neighbor is satisfied that making 30-06 (his caliber) is going to work for him and he is ready to dive in right now, do I offer to sell him my newer and lightly used red Lee Classic Cast Press or my Mentor's first generation green Rockchucker?

I also consider that my neighbor may wish to purchase his own - brand new. In that I can show him a multitude of on line retail supplies for his shopping pleasure...not the least of which is his wife's Cabela's Club credit card.

I am leaning toward selling the Rockchucker as my bench has already accepted its red neighbor and I think my Mentor would have approved.

Interestingly, our newest neighbor moved in two months ago to a recently constructed home right across the street from both of us. I met the new neighbor and his wife yesterday. He is helicopter pilot and remarkably a former FFL from Louisiana with a decade+ of retail firearm and equipment sales experience!

Woo Hoo! Block party time! I feel as if a pebble has been thrown into still water and concentric rings are starting to form...it is GOOD to know the neighbors and to know they are of like minds. This is shaping up to be a fun Summer. I am starting to feel that old spirit once again.

fast ronnie
06-07-2019, 05:41 AM
I'm not parting with my RockChuckers, but I'll help somebody find one.
Actually, I'd kind of like to have one of the little cheap Lee aluminum jobs just for decapping as I don't like the carbon and other junk in my green stuff.
I just haven't been willing to give up the $40 yet. Maybe someday I'll find a used one cheap.

Czech_too
06-07-2019, 05:57 AM
If he's interested, I would offer the Rockchucker. The Lee must suit your needs or it wouldn't be on your bench.

Pressman
06-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Give him the Lee. The Rockchucker will always be a part of you.
I lost a good friend last year and inherited all his reloading tools. They aren't going anywhere. It's about the memory.

Ken

bosterr
06-07-2019, 06:19 AM
You would have to pry my Rockchucker from my cold dead hands!

Shawlerbrook
06-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Another Big Green here. Nothing wrong with Lee, but IMHO it is hard to beat RCBS. Personally, I like having a couple presses on my bench. I would keep both and help your mentee get some new equipment. It is good that you and he found each other to share a great activity.

onelight
06-07-2019, 07:26 AM
It is really nice to have more than 1 press if you don’t have room on your bench put one on a portable stand , use the one you like most for your primary . And every time you use that old RCBS enjoy the the generosity and memories of a good friend.

Petrol & Powder
06-07-2019, 08:00 AM
I would give the neighbor the Rock Chucker and explain its history and meaning to you. He'll appreciate it more, maybe even hold it with some reverence. That "dead" feeling you have to reloading will be replaced with teaching. Your friend's passion for reloading will live on in a new reloader.

GhostHawk
06-07-2019, 08:28 AM
This is your chance to go from "Being mentored" to "Becoming a mentor" and also a chance to honor the memory of your lost friend.

If it was me, if money was involved at all, it would be dimes for dollars.

Listen to your heart, and follow it.

jaguarxk120
06-07-2019, 08:50 AM
It seems to me that all the other presses out there are always compared to
the RCBS Rock Chucker.
Keep it and sell the other press

BigAlofPa.
06-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Mentoring is very enjoyable. I been helping a young man. Good times ahead for you and him.

sparky45
06-07-2019, 08:57 AM
I'd go a different route; LOAN him the RC AND the LEE to get the feel of reloading and get him established in reloading as a hobby that he will stay with THEN encourage him to buy his own setup. You'll thank yourself later for NOT selling your mentor's equipment.

Winger Ed.
06-07-2019, 09:15 AM
I'd loan or let him use either one.

If this is the path for him, he'll buy his own stuff.

RED BEAR
06-07-2019, 09:54 AM
I would offer the lee and keep the rock chucker. Not because i think the rcbs loads any better ammo but for
sentimental reasons. I treasure things that i inherited.

str8wal
06-07-2019, 10:12 AM
I like Lee loaders, and use them all the time so wouldn't consider gifting the Lee a slight in the least. That RCBS would have sentimental value though and I wouldn't part with it. JMHO

starnbar
06-07-2019, 10:25 AM
I have some things from my dad that will go to my sons as they were given to they shall be passed on again.

Blindshooter
06-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Over the years I've gifted at least 4 presses to folks just starting out. 2 of those guys have really caught the bug and have passed on some of their unused equipment to other new reloaders. That makes me happy and I'll bet the OP will be happy no matter the decision on which press to give.

JimB..
06-07-2019, 10:28 AM
As several folks above said, after a reasonable time loan him the RC. That will allow him to spend money on a manual, scale, trickler, etc etc etc etc etc, and components while figuring out hos preferences.

LaPoint
06-07-2019, 10:39 AM
I would keep the Rock Chucker and loan/give/sell him your Lee Classic. Every time you use your old mentor's press it will bring back good memories of him, what he taught you and the enjoyment you had together. Realize that you are about to, hopefully, start the same type of relationship with the new guy. You will be his mentor.

kmw1954
06-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Wow that is a tough call for sure. I can also understand your generosity, for many reasons. I would have a hard time deciding the correct path and would have a hard time giving up either press.

My dilemma, I have 2 sons, a natural son and a step son. Neither of which can own firearms because of drugs so neither will be getting any of my guns or reloading equipment when I pass. Have 2 son's-in-law and neither of them have any interest in reloading though they both shoot. So what to do? If I could find a young person that I liked that I could mentor I would be more than happy to pass on my things.

mdi
06-07-2019, 11:31 AM
I think I would teach him in my shop on my tools until he was ready to set up his own bench. Then I would loan him the press of his choice, Chucker or Lee. No need to press your own preferences/prejudices on him as opinions of reloading equipment fit the person that owns the opinion. When he's ready he will probably return the press after he has purchased his own. I never minded using other's tools, but got a lot of pleasure and experience/learning from researching and buying my own...

LUBEDUDE
06-07-2019, 12:26 PM
I know that I, myself would have seller’s remorse and some guilt if I sold the RC.

Conditor22
06-07-2019, 12:47 PM
I would keep the RC, add it to your bench in honor and remembrance of your mentor. (plus it's a classic and a better press)

RogerDat
06-07-2019, 12:59 PM
You can always buy another Lee if you regret not having it. Not going to buy another gift from a departed mentor and friend to replace the RCBS he left you.

I would also consider the advantages to letting him buy his own press. Personally I favor the Lee Classic Turret press. I remove the index rod in about 1 minute if I want to use press single stage, and put it back in less than 2 minutes when I want a bit faster production. Others have their own favorites. I think when people are starting out some help with equipment is nice but the stuff you shop for and purchase yourself provides some specific enjoyment and gets valued more. You spend $130 on a press you researched I think you are a bit more likely to think and treat it differently than one you are given. Maybe if he stays with the hobby offer him the Lee later if you want. Lord knows most of us end up with at least a second press eventually. The Lee Classic Cast O press single stage is on my wish list to replace an older C press that I currently use for trimming brass and sizing cast bullets.

Yourself you might want to check out Pat Marlins Rock Docks. Sort of a thee sided plate that mounts on the bench with slide in plates that mount on the press and lock in place on the bench plate. Easy to switch out the presses so you can use either your Lee or your RCBS. Might find the rock chucker ends up being set up for say sizing die so you can do trimming, or primer pocket swaging if you use 1x fired military brass. Make a nice sizing press for converting calibers of brass. Like 30-06 to 8mm Mauser with the forming die made for that purpose.

There are also a lot of options for home made base plates for presses. Mine are all mounted on two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood glued together. I had a lot of good 1/2 inch plywood so I went with that.

Press mounts to wood with counter sunk screws from bottom. Press mounts to bench with bolts counter sunk in wood and wingnuts under bench. All the bases are drilled to line up with the same bench holes. I just undo the wingnuts to remove and swap. Since then I add some MEC presses on bases that I just clamp down, don't use them as often so haven't felt the need to drill the wood bases yet. Harbor Freight grinder stands are a great mounting platform and Lee sells a set of legs made for their presses, as well as a mounting system. Said mounting system might only fit their presses, I don't know one way or the other. So "extra" press should not be an issue for you. Sharing for a bit can also be accomplished via a loan. But I would loan the one you would sell him if you are thinking he is trying before buying. And repeating myself a bit I would only loan the one I could replace. The Lee.

GregLaROCHE
06-07-2019, 01:28 PM
I have a Lyman turret press I bought new in the eighties. For over twenty five years, I have always wanted a Rock Chucker. A couple of years ago I saw a new one for sale cheap on eBay. I thought it would become my main press. In reality, I seldom use it except for heavy duty stuff, like sizing down or depriming military brass. For me it’s so much easier to have a number of different dies all installed at the same time.

The point I’m trying to make is, it’s hard to know what someone would really want, because I didn’t even know what would work best for myself. Let him make the decision about what he wants. If one day he asks you about buying one, that’s different.

I also have a young neighbor who I have helped getting into reloading. He has become a good friend. We reload together and that’s fun for me. I even let him use my shop if I’m not around. He’s only had to buy his dies. I don’t have his calibers. He in turn has helped me build a new heavier duty bench (for my Rock Chucker) and a lot of other things too. Works out well for both of us.

L Erie Caster
06-07-2019, 03:31 PM
I would not offer to sell him anything until he is more experienced and can decide what press will suit his wants and needs the best.

Three44s
06-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Tough call!

I would keep both presses for now. Having two single stage presses set up simultaneously is not out of reason. Many loaders do that and more.

The RC was the corner stone of your mentor and long term friend’s loading regiment. The Lee was your choice for your personal press. I think they should stay with you. You could loan one and then the other to familiarize your new to loading neighbor but I would not sell or give them away.

As others have pointed out the guy you are taking under your tuteledge will likely have his own epiphanies about what to equip himself with and may just feel some sort of obligation to use what you present him with. Perhaps he really appreciates a press from you but there is no guarantee.

Now your giving of your time and attention to his new hobby AND dies and components that you may have no use for sold or gifted or traded is an entirely different situation.

Having your friend come and use your tools at your place for whatever time you chose is a much better gift than gifting a press and later seeing it sold or traded away if and when the recipient loses interest.

I remember the day in the fall of ‘75 that I went to town as a 19 year old and bought my first press, scale, dies and components to load 250-3000 just like it was yesterday. Until 5 years ago that press, a RCBS Jr. was my one and only. Now I own all sorts of different presses but that Jr. is staying.

I had a hard time choosing what to buy the day I equiped myself to handload. The guys behind the counter were reluctant to make powder suggestions but I finnaly squeezed out the suggestion of IMR 4320. I would have cherished a guiding hand far more than a free press that day personally because I had no one to help me that handloaded.

Three44s

bdicki
06-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Will it bother you if he sells the Rock Chucker later?

Petrol & Powder
06-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Working with the theme of: "Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted", I would extend that theme to the tools needed to use that knowledge.

If you sell the Rock Chucker to the neighbor, he may not value it like you do. But if you give it to him with an explanation as to what it means to you, I think he'll value it more. I think the greatest tribute you can pay to your mentor would be to train and equip and new reloader. You already reload, your neighbor is contemplating the adventure.

Land Owner
06-08-2019, 10:15 AM
28 responses into this thread and I can see that I have framed my question incompletely. That reflects on me for not thinking it through. I sincerely appreciate all of your responses and your insights are well founded.

From the 2015 image of my bench below, which I should have posted in the OP, I already have more than one press and already use the Pat Marlin "Rock Dock" System. My Mentor's older RC is stand mounted and independent from my bench. As "stand alone" the RC is the more reasonable "loaner" to my neighbor until he has gotten the bug and buys his own or offers to buy mine.

I started with Lee Loaders 25 years ago. I bought hunting property too on which my mentor and I spent 10's of thousands of hours in pursuit of game, planting food plots for wildlife, and accurizing our weapons. I bought my own RC press in year three of my reloading hobby. What a ride! I am happy that it has not come to an end.

I have his cherished guns, which I had occasion to shoot. I shall not soon part with those. His press, meh, not so attached.

https://i.postimg.cc/Ss5ptrRN/DSCN2392.jpg

Three44s
06-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Oh, from that spread the RC from your mentor as a loaner makes sense given what you already own and your thoughts on his press.

With the givens your deceased mentor would be glad that his RC spent some time in the hands of a new generation rather than collecting dust.

The Lee classic single stage hardly takes a back seat to a RC and it was your choice before your situation was turned upside down by losing your dear friend and hunting partner.

May your new alliances be enjoyable!

Three44s

onelight
06-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Ok very nice , looks like I need your equipment advice much more than you need mine.:D

3006guns
06-08-2019, 10:42 AM
First of all, I feel your pain. I too befriended a "mentor" who was an advanced reloader and shooter of anything that would chamber a cartridge. He was an amazing individual, having served in Italy during WWII and was with the CIA during the fifties "banana republic" revolutions in Central America. I learned more from him than my previous thirty years of experience EVER taught me. After his passing, I inherited or bought the bulk of his estate. I will always cherish his memory.

I'd be tempted to give your younger friend the Lee and keep the Rock Chucker. Although you purchased the Lee and enjoy it, there's something about having and using a well seasoned and trusted partner on the bench. It's like having your deceased friend at your side once again. Besides, if you ever decide that surrendering the Lee was a mistake, you can buy another..........but you'll never be able to buy the history of that RCBS press.

JBinMN
06-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I'd loan or let him use either one.

If this is the path for him, he'll buy his own stuff.

I would not offer to sell him anything until he is more experienced and can decide what press will suit his wants and needs the best.

Ditto on the above.

Many times I have seen someone get into a hobby or the like & then it goes by the wayside as different things happen. Children are born, moves made to where one cannot do the hobby, etc..

Perhaps after some time the feller(s) will be seen to keep on with doing reloading/handloading, but one of the many "paths of life" sometimes make folks change their "priorities in life", downsize, whatever, & they , like it or not, just have to stop doing one thing & start another.

Maybe just wait for a time. Should be no hurry. You can always decide to sell or give later on after you see a continued interest that goes beyond just the fun of it, or whatever reason the other feller(s) said was the reason why they want to reload.
:)

One more thing to consider.... If you give or sell one of yours, then you will not likely touch on the "pros & cons" of certain types of presses that you might have with the feller(s), if they just start out on the one you sell or give. then the one(s) who get your press(s) may not want to get another press so as not to offend you by wanting something a bit different. Holding them back from their own "adventures", and doing what they want, rather than following exactly "in your steps".
;)

( I dunno if I said that last part well enough , but I do know what I am trying to say. )
;)

It is "your" decision, I am pretty sure you will feel good about passing things on, some time, and hopefully have no regrets about doing it. Hate to hear ya gave or sold the press & they decided it was not for them to reload anymore & the press gets sold to another, or even worse, trashed.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do!

Land Owner
06-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Only once in all of my gun dealings, which I speculate have been more than most, have I been screwed by an individual - a Gun Smith, TWICE, on the same repair. I took him a shotgun with a broken part AND an out of battery fired shotgun shell with its "ballooned" copper hull (got a picture of it). I asked him to repair the shotgun AND to give me back the fired shotgun shell - to both of which he agreed. He NEITHER fixed the shotgun, though I paid just to get it back and to get far away from him, nor did he gave me back my shotgun shell, saying that "someone cleaned my bench and threw it away." Sorry ***. He's out of business now, or moved somewhere else to take advantage of others. If I had to, I could find his name and post it prominently on the DEADBEAT Forum.

EVERYONE else in shooting and reloading has bent over backward to forward my experience. There are tremendous people we meet in this hobby. I salute each of you for responding.

I know what you are saying JBinMN. I will show him the press choices I have, the world of other choices for a price, and let him go forth after that. I know of no better way to teach the foundations of reloading than one-at-a-time on a Rock Chucker, though for three years I made excellent ammunition with Lee Loaders in 30-30, 270, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt calibers. I started out on the ground floor in my reloading and now am the CEO and President (in my own little world)!

Since I know he fancies the 30-06. I will use my 270 as a base. It is a necked down 30-06 parent case.

robg
06-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Teach him with your kit ,then help him get the kit he needs and prefers. I'd keep your mentors kit as he gifted it to you.

JBinMN
06-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Land-Owner,

I agree that most of the time, learning with a single stage & getting "very familiar" with each stage of reloading is usually the best way for some one to learn reloading, and this has been discussed here in the forum before, and I participated, so I will not go into that further here. IMO, You, as an experienced reloader & maybe even the one you are helping(mentoring) will know/recognize when it is time to move on to more advanced presses. "Getting the basics down", is well worth the time, and having you there to answer , if not all, most of the questions about each reloading stage, will be extremely valuable to the one learning in the future.

Also, the addition of your knowing from previous reloading methods & equipment trials & errors, what might suit the new reloader to save them the time & costs of doing such trial & error themselves. Which not only saves them time & $$, but the frustration that often comes with knowing one just did something that "cost them", and now have to deal with what occurred, instead of just learning from others first.

Like was said before in the other discussion, most "Learn to Walk, before they Run.", and then some are able to even move on to be "Stars" on the track, but most just get to the "Run" point & that is good enough for most folks to get them thru life.

{ Side note - I have really enjoyed this tune below for some time & it came to me when typing, so I will include it for those who would like to check it out. Some folks will remember it & others will hear it for the first time, but I think it is worth sharing anyway, even though it is not exactly necessary to the post. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E }

BTW, I was interrupted during my earlier posting when I was quoting earlier posts and adding my thoughts, so I just hit the post button without reading the rest of the posts first & if I repeated something that someone else had already said, and did not mention or quote them, then it was just an oversight & not meant to lessen the others thoughts & input.
;)

Once again, G'Luck! & I wish you & your neighbors the best in your reloading ( and handloading) adventures!

lightman
06-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Personally I would teach him on my equipment. I would let him use as many different presses as you have to help him make the decision on what to purchase. But I would keep my stuff and my friends stuff.

I have to commend you on taking the time to mentor this young person. And congratulations on getting some neighbors that you are comfortable with. Also I'm sorry for the loss of your long time friend.

kevin c
06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Not to be a wet towel, but as far as cherished tools to be passed on, I think it's best to be sure the intended recipient appreciates him or herself what the item is, how it's used, and actually has a need for it. In that case, every use recalls and honors the giver/original user.

Momentos of a person, place, time or event have meaning to those with first hand memory. I think there is much less meaning or value to recipients who weren't there.

In either case, if the recipient can't use the tool or doesn't appreciate what the momento represents, it becomes clutter, to be put in a box on a back shelf and eventually disposed of. I've been to too many estate sales and second hand stores to think otherwise.

Short version to the OP is, make sure whatever you consider giving has use and meaning to your new reloading friend, not just to you.

Drew P
06-09-2019, 02:23 PM
What you’d like to happen is for the green press to go to a new reloaded who will love and cherish it forever and use it a lot for many years. But what is likely to happen is it will get used once and out on a shelf forever. Since you can’t be sure of which outcome will befall it, you need to keep it on your bench in working order, as your buddy would’ve appreciated.
Having said that, the lee CC is a superior press imo.

Land Owner
06-09-2019, 08:31 PM
I won't debate the Lee CC vs. RC. Each is an excellent press and I like them both. Both are extremely strong.

My RC is outfitted with the Piggyback II for progressive production of pistol and 223 rifle rounds using pre-primed cases. The Lee is primarily for larger caliber case sizing, depriming, and mil brass primer pocket swaging. An RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool (not shown) does all priming duty off press. A manual indexed RBCS 4x4 progressive reloads large caliber rifle rounds.

IMO the most difficult and time consuming part of reloading is case preparation, without which progressive reloading becomes a myriad of stops and starts, which become frustrating.

I will show my neighbor the hows and whys of several different varieties of presses, priming systems, and ammunition manufacturing machines; dozens of reloading manuals; logs of my reloading experience; manual and machine case prep; case trimming; case cleaning; and a multitude of other machines. From this limited, but unordinary subset, it is hoped he gets a firm foundation and feeling for the manual production of accurate ammunition.

I know that what I have to show him is much more than a single session's worth of information. It would be wrong to attempt to introduce 30-years worth of accumulation in the first hour.

Initially I will keep it simple. I will show him the basics of the Lee Loader for 9mm ammo. It won't be his 30-06 rifle round. It won't even be a pistol caliber I shoot. I just happen to have one - and only that one. The Lee methodology will be expressed as the prologue to the single stage press in manufacturing accurate ammunition one-round-at-a-time.

Then we'll discuss the necessity to keep records, case prep, play with a few machines, and I will let him borrow my 1970 Lyman's 45th Ed. reloading handbook to read at home for its simple, direct, and uncomplicated explanation of most things regarding this reloading hobby - including cast. That should wet his appetite and we'll move slowly toward 2019 thereafter.

onelight
06-09-2019, 11:11 PM
That sounds like an excellent plan.
I sure wish that I had a teacher like you when I started . I did not know any one that loaded , got info from Elmer Keith’s books magazines , a Lyman manual , and lessons from many dumb mistakes.
You neighbor is fortunate indeed.:cool:

Three44s
06-13-2019, 10:35 AM
I think the OP has a pretty good handle on what to do here. I do not think there is a downside to owning a Lee classic single stage over a RC. Member /vendor BT Sniper who constructs j word bullet swage die sets for sale rates the Lee press above the rest for swaging. That ought to account for something.

Three44s

Sig556r
06-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Hi there, fella Civil/Structural guy here, but not sure when to retire yet (mid 50s) as kids are still in the nest. If I were in your shoes, I'll let go of the red & keep the green...or better yet, get rid of the green as well & shoot for the blue...

Land Owner
06-14-2019, 10:23 AM
sig556r - my rate of ammunition production, casting, shooting and hunting have dropped to near ZERO since my side kick's death in 2017. I have been in SALES mode following the purchase of a reloader/caster/shooter's huge estate in 2016 (my boss's father) and now the absorption of my friend's 65-year accumulated hunting/shooting/reloading estate with SO MUCH EXCESS. It is a good time to be a new reloader. I have a lot to show and tell...

I was hoping my neighbor's reloading interest would rekindle my interest, and it has - to a degree. I actually cleaned up my reloading room AND researched for his introduction to reloading. I almost made a syllabus (post #41 above)!!!

He was a NO SHOW yesterday and there is no word yet on rescheduling.

MT Chambers
06-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Of all your choices I'd def. go with the Forster Co-ax, best by a mile, if you can't do that then the RCBS would be much better then the Lee.

rmantoo
06-17-2019, 12:59 PM
If you're financially stable, pay it forward.

David2011
06-17-2019, 11:18 PM
An experienced machinist, caster, loader, shooter, metallurgist, and mentor engineer "adopted" me when I was a young adult. We spent untold hours together shooting, casting, loading and gunsmithing. Most of my single stage reloading equipment was his and passed on to me before he passed. When I load on that equipment I think of him. I couldn't give that up to just anybody.

6bg6ga
06-18-2019, 05:54 AM
Junk the Lee no need to turn a friend into an enemy. Teach him on the RCBS and suggest that he purchase one like it.

1hole
06-20-2019, 04:01 PM
I would give the neighbor the Rock Chucker and explain its history and meaning to you. He'll appreciate it more, maybe even hold it with some reverence. That "dead" feeling you have to reloading will be replaced with teaching. Your friend's passion for reloading will live on in a new reloader.

I agree. And I'd keep the Lee Classic Cast. Why? Well, it's massive and big enough to handle the .50 BMG, your old RC will not. The CC's user features (like clean decapping and a fully adjustable lever) make it the best press of it's type at any price in today's market. And I'd grind/file the toggle stop so it would "cam over" just a tad to make it perfect! I'm not going to toss my old RC II but if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd have a red Classic Cast.

The RockChucker IS the "standard of comparison" for presses. But that's not for it's superiority, it's simply because with it's history of revisions it's the longest lasting name and is therefore the best known single stage press out there. That makes the RCs sorta like Rem 700 rifles, both are well known and good tools but certainly not "the best" of their types, you know?

(Now, where's my old flame-proof fireman's coat and helmet .... :) )

Land Owner
06-21-2019, 11:22 AM
It has been over a week and I have not heard from him. I don't know his arrivals and departures but I am going to have to watch for him to ask if he forgot or turned somewhere else.

Land Owner
06-22-2019, 11:13 AM
He "forgot". So we scheduled next Thursday at noon. Works for me.

nun2kute
06-23-2019, 12:05 AM
After reading through the first page and a half of this post, I couldn't articulate my feelings any better than already said. I will say, I think your Mentor is still with you and can see you struggling with his loss and just gave you a push to get past the vacancy left from his passing. Keep up the good work

dipstick
06-23-2019, 12:46 AM
I don’t typically sell things that were given to me, especially gun related items given by a close friend. Learned from an old wiser friend how good it feels to give some of these things to a deserving individual or family. It doesn’t cost me anything and honors the original act of giving

Gatch
06-23-2019, 03:28 AM
Jeez I wish my neighbours were shooters. If I even mentioned I had firearms in the house, the police would be around in minutes !

luv45acp
06-23-2019, 06:14 PM
The RC was made for .306 in my opinion. Dad loaded hundreds maybe thousands of rounds with his over the years. It’s hard to check sentimental feelings at the door when it comes to something someone personally used for so long and cared so much for. If I were in your shoes suggest the RC or sell/give him yours and keep your mentors. ��

Thomas Creek
06-26-2019, 03:35 PM
I am a Rockchucker fan but also have and use Lee tools and old Lyman Ideal 310 stuff. Some good deals come up tools and see what he likes and can be familiar with. Nice to see someone helping out a new person getting started. Enjoy.

JBinMN
08-19-2019, 10:02 PM
He "forgot". So we scheduled next Thursday at noon. Works for me.

*Update* ??? I am curious...

Land Owner
08-20-2019, 05:17 AM
After seeing him in his back yard and asking, he forgot, but came over the next Thursday. We talked about the machines on my bench, tools for reloading, powder and bullet manuals, drawers full of one caliber and another, casting and the things I indicated in the syllabus in post #41. In total we shot the breeze for about two hours. I didn't reload anything. I gave him a reloading manual to read with the basics well covered.

We have not crossed paths since. I do not believe he is enthusiastic (he isn't beating down my door) - but in that I could be all wrong and it might be me. Since I have not seen him, I can get no reading of his continued interest. He still has my book so there is hope.

Three44s
08-20-2019, 05:37 AM
You either have the bug or you don’t.

Best regards

Three44s

JBinMN
08-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the update!

Hope it turns out the best for all involved.
;)

Land Owner
08-20-2019, 11:22 PM
I will keep my eye out for him. I think he is planning another camping trip. His 5th wheel camper was backed up to his front door today for loading and off loading. I am interested in sharing the wealth.

EDG
08-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Most of my reloading equipment was bought used from guys who thought they wanted to reload and found out it was not for them. My point is many people think they want to reload and then bail out. You might teach the guy a little to see if he is really going to stick with it before he commits to buying equipment.
Some people go from one hobby to the next without a bit of hesitation.

Pete44mag
08-21-2019, 11:30 AM
I will try to make a long story short. About 5 years ago I bought my first pistol for carry and self defense. (Was able to get a carry permit in New Yorkistan but that's for another thread.) I had always shot rifle and shotgun but not much handgun. I joined a gun club to be able to practice with no intention of going any further. I soon started to shoot IDPA, USPSA and Bullseye. Every one of the different team members suggested that I start to reload. When I explained that I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money for something I may not like to do, one of the members gave me a life time loan of a Rock Chucker, Lee priming tool, a set of Lee dies and 1000 pieces of clean tumbled brass. The loan was for as long as I wanted to use them and if I didn't like the hobby I could give them back. He had acquired all of it at yard sales for very discounted prices. I'm now on this website trying to learn how to cast and powder coat my own. So far I have collected about 750# of coww, range scrap and scrap lead that is now cast into ingots. My next step is to start casting and powder coating. Everyone told me I would save money reloading, they lie, I just shoot a hell of a lot more. The Rockchucker is mounted on my reloading bench next to my Dillion 550 and is still used all the time. The moral of this long winded post is, if someone shows an interest in the shooting sports or reloading please take the time to mentor and encourage them. I know if I was not helped into the hobby of reloading I would not be suffering from this wonderful addiction now. I'm not saying to Land Owner which press he should give or loan to his neighbor, just to mentor him and follow his heart what would be best for the both of them!

Land Owner
08-22-2019, 12:07 AM
Pete44mag...I have achieved most of what I want to do in this world. Not cashing in my chips, but I have more than I will ever use and letting the man "permanently borrow" one of my machines is not out of the question. Realistically, I can never use more than two at a time anyway. I just don't know what his interests are. He said 30-06, but didn't talk at all about his gun(s). Perhaps I should have shut up some and listened. We were having a good time and were getting to know the parts and pieces. I thought it best that he at least take some homework with him to read a little about this hobby. After all, reading and learning go hand in hand and I am just showing him the way. In the end, he will have done all of the heavy lifting. I don't think it is "over". You live next door to someone long enough, you will run into them again eventually. I will just let this simmer until then.

Pete44mag
08-22-2019, 10:49 PM
Land Owner... I think you are a very generous and wise man and I would find it an honor to be your neighbor!!!

Land Owner
08-23-2019, 08:50 AM
I was at the Vet yesterday afternoon with our 41 pound Manchester Terrier, a "Rottweiler - German Shepherd mix" as written on the adoption papers 6-months ago by the non-profit Rescue people from whom we saved "Max" as a 5-pound, 8-week old, puppy, (go figure). We wanted and thought we were raising a soon-to-be 120# brute. They were SO WRONG! We love him just the same - even though he is 1/3 the dog we intended him to be - the other 2/3's are in there "in attitude" though.

My neighbor came over during that period to share a gallon bag of Spanish Mackerel they had just caught. My wife accepted the delivery and I did not get the chance (yet) to thank him. Now I have an "excuse" (if I even needed one) to go over to his house and talk to him.

Three44s
08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Dogs, dogs, dogs .... where would we be without them?

Life would be without them I tell ya!

I have been working with one of my nephews (he is a senior at Montana State this year) and his elk rifle is a 300 RUM, he likes handloading, his father (my brother) bought him a very nice reloading setup from the widow of a good friend of my brother’s who suddenly passed. You would think he would grab my help with gusto? He is certainly interested, he mounted his stuff up. He appreciated my efforts greatly. He loads up a series of test loads, we have a shooting range right here on the ranch and the kid sat on those rounds for three weeks without firing them telling me he did not have time to shoot them. He just went back to school and will hunt this fall with factory stuff again.

I asked him if he was scarred of his own ammo? He says no. I do not understand, I supervised his work then as well as his latest loading and we have been loading together for a while and he shot those past loads.

His younger brother is now interested in getting better accuracy out of his 22-250, I guess I will work with him. I have always figured that the older brother was the most motivated of the two but he is two States away now.

It is frustrating.

A friend of the family has been getting schooled by me and he has the fire. He lives about 25 miles away and he is a school administrator about to retire in a year or two so he is very busy already but he really tries to get with the program.

It all comes down to they either have the fire or they don’t.

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2019, 08:50 AM
no brainer there. Rock chucker all the way. Give him the lee because you probably cant get enough selling it to justify shipping. That rock chucker will still be making ammo when your great great grandkids are pulling the handle.

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2019, 08:56 AM
I used to have a box of extra presses scales ect that id give to anyone starting out. Son in law and the grandson started loading and they stole the hole box. I told them they could have it as long as once they got established and knew what theyd use and what they wouldn't that they would give the rest away. there was two rcbs jr's in there and one of those lee presses like yours. I have only 2 single stage presses. Ones a rock chucker that will never leave the bench and is used for SERIOUS chores and the other is a Hornady that uses the quick twist die bushings that I bought because I have two lnl progressives that have them. Didn't realize the dies set for the progressives have to be readjusted for the single stage (stupid of Hornady) I rarely use it.
Pete44mag...I have achieved most of what I want to do in this world. Not cashing in my chips, but I have more than I will ever use and letting the man "permanently borrow" one of my machines is not out of the question. Realistically, I can never use more than two at a time anyway. I just don't know what his interests are. He said 30-06, but didn't talk at all about his gun(s). Perhaps I should have shut up some and listened. We were having a good time and were getting to know the parts and pieces. I thought it best that he at least take some homework with him to read a little about this hobby. After all, reading and learning go hand in hand and I am just showing him the way. In the end, he will have done all of the heavy lifting. I don't think it is "over". You live next door to someone long enough, you will run into them again eventually. I will just let this simmer until then.

Land Owner
08-26-2019, 07:28 AM
I had thought to take the RCBS 4X4 manual index press, then looked at it closely. Needs shell holders that are probably too difficult to get and I don't have any myself, so the Lee Classic Cast is it! Then I will install my hunting partner's Rock Chucker in that "hole" on my bench and have TWO Rock Chuckers. Can an old style Rock Chucker "bicycle" handle be modified for a "cue-ball"?