PDA

View Full Version : S&W cylinder stop spring

Tatume
06-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Hello Folks,

What is the function of an extra power cylinder stop spring in a S&W revolver? What value does it add over the stock spring?

Thanks, Tom

Der Gebirgsjager
06-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Quite frankly, in my opinion, there is no advantage, and there may be a disadvantage. The idea is that it will push the cylinder bolt up more rapidly, and with more authority. However, the gun wasn't originally timed that way, and the bolt may strike the cylinder early and begin to engrave the cylinder's exterior with a line. So, if the gun works satisfactorily with the original spring, leave it alone; and if it's not locking properly they replace the spring with a new stock spring.

rintinglen
06-06-2019, 10:28 PM
The only place that I am aware of it having any value is in the model 29"s where, under heavy recoil, the lighter stock spring would unlock the gun and allow the cylinder to rotate. I know of no other reason for it. It is my understanding that the Model 29-3 and more recent guns come with a heavier spring to prevent this problem.

megasupermagnum
06-07-2019, 12:40 AM
As was said, it holds the bolt up better under recoil. The N frame is already borderline with 44 magnums, they all have problems if pushed too hard. Even keeping to light 240 grain and lighter bullets, the cylinder would still rotate during firing from time to time on my dads 29-2. Installed a Wolff extra power spring, and it seems to be OK now. My model 57-1 (41 magnum) was doing it with full speed 240 grain bullets, but seems OK with the 220 grain I'm shooting now at more moderate speeds. I'll probably replace the spring when I get around to it.

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Agree with the above. I'll add that the enhanced (improved?) N-frames also have longer locking notches cut in the cylinder.

The N-frames had some problems with max loads causing the cylinder to rotate backward. Stronger cylinder stop springs and longer notches in the cylinder help to fix that.

Out side of that, I can see no reason for a stronger cylinder stop spring.

6bg6ga
06-11-2019, 06:49 AM
You can't fault the manufacturer for safety.

GBertolet
06-11-2019, 10:40 PM
The Wolffe extra power cylinder stop spring fixed my mod 29 cylinder unlocking issue. A cheap fix, that beats sending the gun back to the factory. The S&W endurance package that came to be, finally was a fix to this issue. It took them a while to admit there was a problem, before they took corrective action on subsequent manufactured revolvers.